UNITED NATIONS ASSISTANCE MISSION IN SOMALIA
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 28 MAY 2018
DATE OF ISSUANCE: 29 APRIL 2018
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
SECTIONS UNIT: REGIONAL AND LIAISON OFFICE
DURATION OF CONTRACT: ONE (1) YEAR FIXED TERM
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: UNSOM/PAMG/021/ 2018
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary
approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses
incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply well before the
deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the
UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located with the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM). The incumbent will report
to the Head of Office of UNSOM in Kismayo, Jubaland.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Prepares, processes and follow-ups on administrative arrangements and forms related to the official travel
• Drafts routine correspondence and occasionally translates from English to Somali or vice versa.
• Maintains files of rules, regulations, administrative instructions and other related documentation.
• Maintains up-to-date work unit files (both paper and electronic).
• Performs other related administrative duties, as required, e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring
accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning;
identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing
and coordinating administrative arrangements for seminars, conference and translations.
• Receives, guides, and assists both visitors and new staff while arriving and settling in.
• Performs other duties as required by the supervisor.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT
• Enters, maintains and certifies administrative data and records for time and attendance, performance
appraisal etc., in electronic information systems.
• Process and assist with entitlements- related claims and reports.
• Maintains and reviews organizational staffing tables; prints and reviews UMOJA reports as required.
• Follow-ups on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resources activities, e.g.,
recruitment, placement, relocation, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews,
separation, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of regulations and procedures.
BUDGET AND FINANCE
• Consolidates data received and provides support to higher-level staff with respect to budget reviews of
relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies as may be required from time to time.
• Reviews status of relevant expenditures and compares with approved budget.
• Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged
and (b) availability of funds.
• Assists in the preparation of statistical tables and standard financial reports.
• Assists with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced
• Follows up on and processes payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor the payments.
• Prepares and processes UN forms and permissions for contractual work and services, including UN grounds
passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
• Perform other duties as required by the supervisor.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery
of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments; observing deadlines and achieving
results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult
problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from
clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and
respect ;Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments
inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of
progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; Delivers outputs for which one
has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with organizational
regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated
assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where
Education: Minimum High School diploma or equivalent is required.
Experience: A minimum of three (03) years of progressively responsible experience in the field in general
administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, contracting and human resources or related
Languages: English and French are working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post
advertised, fluency in oral and written English and Somali is required. Knowledge of other United
Nations language is desirable.
Assessment Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be
followed by competency-based interview.
Candidates who are not selected, but whose performance in the interview process nevertheless demonstrated
them to be suitable for a similar function may be kept on a roster for up to seven years. Candidates placed on
the roster may be considered for selection against future vacancies for the same function and level.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to
the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs.
Applications submitted after the deadline 28 May 2018 will not be accepted. CVs will not be accepted.
Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the e-mail
Kindly attach a copy of P11, Degree Certificate, Passport and or National Identification Card. Copy of Valid
driving license/ permit. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please
note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity
and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION,
INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).