Islamic Relief Somalia
Agricultural Value Chain Officer – Afgoye, Somalia
ISLAMIC RELIEF SOMALIA: JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Agricultural Value Chain Officer
DEPARTMENT: Food Security and Livelihoods
BASE LOCATION: Afgooye
GRADE: Grade E , Step 1
CONTRACT LENGTH: 10 months with possibilities of extension depending on performance and budget availability
REPORT TO : Area Manager
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES: Non
Organization: Islamic Relief Somalia
Closing date: 12/06/2021
The jobholder will become part of the Islamic Relief Somalia team working on SMILE project. He/she will be expected to work with project team and target farmers in Afgooye by leading the value chain component. He/She will also work with staff in other regional offices. Based on their expertise and experience, they will have the opportunity to develop and coordinate effective agriculture related value chain scheme including capacity building of local farmers.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Develop/implement/manage projects and activities in Afgooye aimed at strengthening agricultural value chains and improving rural livelihoods
· Serve as the technical lead for designing, implementing and monitoring all value chain and marketing activities.
· Coordinate and collaborate with partners including private enterprises, community-based organizations and NGOs working cereal and vegetable value chains to leverage project resources, avoid duplication of efforts and ensure complementarities.
· Provide technical guidance and capacity building trainings to farmers and producer groups.
· Regularly monitor the project progress at all its phases (project selection, designing, planning and implementation).
· Prepare detail annual work plans and progress reports on value chain component.
· Work with the technical team to map value chain including main actors, flow of products, infrastructure facilities, financial institutions and all supporting organizations.
· Conduct value chain assessment to identify gaps and develop recommendations on how to improve the selected value chains and maximize the impact.
· Provide technical support for the formation of cooperatives associations or producer groups for agro-based inputs.
· Develop and deliver capacity development activities in the areas of agribusiness, value chain and marketing development.
· Gather data and information needed to undertake an effective monitoring and evaluation of activities related to value chain and marketing.
· Supervise and monitor implementation of value chain activities with a focus on improving crops, productivity processing and input-output market enhancement.
· Conduct market assessments.
· Prepare clear and concise reports in line with the requirements.
· Participate in the development of concept note and project proposal on food security and livelihoods, value chain and marketing initiatives.
· Perform other related duties as requested.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
· Strong knowledge of the stakeholders in the agricultural sector
· Strong interpersonal, communication and network skills
· High level of demonstrated competency in developing and implementing effective strategies, business plans and budget management
· Demonstrated ability to nature and/or build effective partnerships with different partners
· Proven ability to work in a cross-cultural and multidisciplinary environment
· Fluency in English essential, with language skills in Somalia desirable
· Computer literate with additional expertise in statistical or other similar software is desirable
· Use of ICT in value chains
· Ability to organize farmers into business organizations, including linking them to markets
· Strictly follow on organizational polices and procedure’s, and respect organizational principles at all times and keep organizational confidentiality
· Demonstrate capacities to establish and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships with government officials, local organizations, communities and other stakeholders.
· University degree in agricultural economics, agribusiness management, rural development or related field, with postgraduate qualifications preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· At least 5 years of relevant experience in projects on livelihood diversification, value chain, rural business development and agricultural marketing preferably in lower and middle Shabelle Regions.
· Experience in designing and implementing projects aimed at improving agricultural value chains and linkage with markets.
· Proficient in the use of MS Word, Excel, Access, Power-point, and internet communication
· Good writing and reporting skills.
· Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
Additional job responsibilities
· Assisting Inter-cluster multi-sectoral assessments during critical situations
· Producing Case studies and success stories of project target beneficiaries
Islamic Relief is equal opportunity employer, however encourages female candidates to apply
Safeguarding and protection of staff:
How to apply:
IRW Somalia Program is inviting applications from qualified/Motivated candidates who are interested to submit their CVs and cover letters explaining, how they meet Job description.
Ø Each application should be addressed to the HR account: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
Ø An updated CV; and an application letter
Ø Academic Qualifications (certificates/Transcripts)
Ø Copy of your Somali National ID card or passport.
Ø And contact information for three work-related referees.
Ø Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Ø Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IRW is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is written as Agriculture Value chain officer.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com