SOS Children's Villages Somalia
Area Manager – Benadir & Hirshabelle, Somalia
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria for the below position.
Position title: Area Manager-Benadir & Hirshabelle (1 Position)
Reporting to: Director of Operations
Location: Benadir & Hirshabelle
The Area Manager will lead the planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the SOS Children’s Villages programs in Benadir & Hirshabelle. The Area Manager is also responsible for emergency preparedness and manages emergency programming and operations in Benadir & Hirshabelle. She/he establishes and sustains productive relationships with donors, strategic partners, relevant government line ministries and Federal States. She/he will be a member of the National Management Team of SOS Children’s Villages in Somalia and as such, is expected to contribute to the broader humanitarian response of the country, by sharing knowledge and supporting the generation of evidence to inform programming in other parts of Somalia
The Area Manager is accountable for operational risk management of SOS CV programs in the regions, in collaboration with relevant stakeholders for security and access related issues, S/he will ensure that staff abide SOS CV safety procedures, guidelines and SOPs. This includes the proper management, well-being and safety of SOS CV staff and the proper stewardship of organization resources.The Area Manager models and ensures systematic practice of SOS core values – Courage, Commitment, Trust and Accountability. She/he also promotes Gender Equality and Diversity among Area staff and in programming. She/he will help build effective teams, coalitions, partnerships and networks within and beyond SOS Children’s Villages.
Main Duties and Responsibilities including Key Tasks
Strategic Leadership and Planning
- As a member of the National Management Team-NMT, the Area Manager gives strategic advice to the Director of Operations relating to the overall operations and quality of programmes SOS Children’s Villages in Somalia.
- Leads the development of the annual work plans and budgets for the area and ensure organizational objectives are finically and programmatically supported as efficient as possible
- Takes part in the planning of programme interventions, including the development of good quality proposal, concepts and program innovations in line with the organization’s mission policies, strategies and available resources.
- Sets the strategic plans, objectives and priorities of the Area, through close consultation with the NMT and Regional Colleagues.
- Ensures necessary linkages with other functions and networks within the country, and participates in national / regional forums, ensuring that the operations is appropriately represented.
- Propose and implement new innovations aimed at achieving the overall strategy of the organization.
- Ensures the aligned growth and development of SOS Children’s programmes in the country, and ensure that the organization’s efforts and resources are targeted at the most vulnerable children, families and communities.
- Builds the capacity of operations staff through knowledge sharing activities, on-going coaching & support, training & development.
Programme development and management
- Leads the development, implementation and monitoring of the SOS CV Somalia programmes in line with the Children’s Villages Programme (CVP) and related international and National SOS policies, strategies, quality standards, and guidelines in the respective Area.
- Leads the implementation of the programme management cycle including the CVP planning process as part of NA annual and strategic planning to ensure that interventions are relevant to the local context, respond to the needs of the target group, and contribute to the development of sustainable social support systems.
- Coordinates and ensures cooperation between all areas of work within the CVP (specialized as well as general support work).
- Ensures efficiency through best use and sharing of resources across different programme units.
- Regularly reports on activities and progress in the area towards targets to the ND and relevant National Office functions.
- Ensures that the CVP is supportive to the global brand of the SOS Children’s Villages International.
Human Resource and Organizational Development – HROD
- Establish and leads an effective Area Management Team (AMT) according to the approved National Structure for SOS CV Somalia
- Ensures the effective implementation of the HR Cycle in line with the new Terms & Conditions of Services for the MA, following the national legal requirements.
- Implement an efficient performance management and human resource development system that guarantees the development of all co-workers and the identification of talents at location level.
- Facilitates cooperation and information flow between National Office and the area of operations according to the national annual plan, job descriptions and NMT agreed procedures.
- Establishes appropriate staffing patterns and ensures full staffing at location level.
Financial and administrative management
- Builds accountability in the programme by ensuring implementation of simple and effective financial and administrative procedures, in accordance with defined policies, guidelines and standards of SOS CV Somalia.
- Leads the budgeting process for the location (Southwest)
- Regular monitoring of budget expenditures and ensure monthly BVA meetings are held at area level for all programmes and work closely with finance team to ensure value-for-money.
- Continually looks for ways to provide quality services in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensures that budgeting of maintenance costs (construction, repairs, renovation) for SOS property is carried out efficiently. The Area Manager is overall accountable for good facility maintenance in Benadir & Hirshabelle region.
Quality management, monitoring and evaluation
- Is overall responsible for quality management in the area and ensures the implementation of national and international quality standards with guidance and monitoring from function staff in the National Office.
- Monitors the implementation of recommendations from national and international quality audits and evaluations.
Partnership building, advocacy and cooperation with external stakeholders
- Negotiates and concludes agreements and contracts with state authorities and other organizations with authority given by the Director of Operations.
- Leads and coordinates cooperation, partnership building, and networking efforts of with local and national authorities and other external stakeholders.
- Represents the organization at relevant local networks, forums, platforms, campaigns, working groups and advocates on behalf of the organization for the promotion of child rights, especially related to children from the target group.
Fund development and public relations
- Promotes the organization in the public and identifies potential income sources in cooperation with the Fund Development & Communications function in the National Office and/or the Director of Operations.
- Strives for the highest possible level of programme self-financing with a focus on government subsidies and public funding within the frame of targets agreed during the strategic planning process
Functional Competencies (e.g. knowledge, skills, experience)
- Holds a Bachelor Degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of senior managerial experience in international development and humanitarian assistance.
- Solid understanding of financial and budget management, and of best practice programming.
- Proven ability in decision-making and problem-solving including in dynamic contexts
- Experience in managing grants from public funding (UN, EU, USAID/OFDA, DFID, ECHO, etc.)
- Excellent management skills specially of large-scale programme (experienced in HR, finance, projects cycle management, security and stress management).
- Strong ability to organize, train and motivate a multicultural team
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills; interpersonal and cross-cultural sensitivity and experience.
- Strong people engagement and influencing skills with the ability to build relationships, communicate, present, negotiate and resolve conflicts
- Experienced leader of diverse people and processes with the ability to lead, develop and direct team members to deliver to high performance targets and standards.
- A demonstrated adaptability to drive change and transformation.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Ability to work in child Safeguarding environment.
- Enthusiastic, decisive, pragmatic and dynamic hands-on individual with a sense of urgency, attention to detail, thoroughness and unquestionable integrity.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in a hardship location
- Fluent in English & Somalia (speaking, reading and writing)
Child safeguarding Policy:
SOS Children’s Villages Somalia holds strict child safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasis to assessing candidates’ value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes. SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understands his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email email@example.com Indicating a with the subject line of the position.
Closing date is. 26th November 2023.
Competent Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This job description outlines only the general scope of activity and the basic tasks and responsibilities associated with this position. It is updated annually in the course of performance appraisal. It may be supplemented with a more detailed definition of tasks, responsibilities and involvement in processes.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org