Associate Durable Solutions Officer – Ali Sabieh, Djibouti
- Organization: UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Ali Sabieh (Djibouti)
- Grade: P-2, International Professional – Internationally recruited position – Junior level
- Occupational Groups:
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Refugee rights and well-being
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2021-03-04
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.
Associate Durable Solutions Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Associate Durable Solutions Officer can serve as a focal point for solutions related issues in a region, and reports to the Durable Solutions Officer, Protection Officer or, where appropriate, to the Senior Protection Officer or Head of Office. The incumbent may have supervisory responsibility for durable solutions staff.
The incumbent is relied upon to contribute to ensuring a conducive environment leading towards finding durable solutions. The Associate Durable Solutions Officer should participate in consultative processes within UNHCR and a broad range of partners to promote durable solutions and advance the efficiency of UNHCR¿s interventions. Activities to strengthen the involvement of refugee communities and their hosts in the design and implementation of solutions strategies are a critical element of the work.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Implement activities in accordance with the comprehensive solutions strategy, with a view to finding durable solutions to the maximum number of PoCs.
– Participate in the planning of, and advise on opportunities for alternative solutions, including available regional and national legal frameworks.
– Participate in consultative processes within UNHCR and with a broad range of regional and national external partners to promote voluntary repatriation, local integration and resettlement.
– Meet PoC, assess their durable solutions needs and identify the most appropriate solutions for them.
– Monitor the implementation of the durable solutions strategy and provide advice for improvements.
– Analyse statistics, trends, and other documents, and draft reports.
– Interview and prepare Resettlement Referral Forms (RRF), in line with Resettlement SOPs.
– Interview candidates for local integration and prepare the appropriate documentation for onward submission to local authorities or partners, in line with Local Integration SOPs.
– Implement and contribute to the designing of national and regional comprehensive durable solutions strategies
– Engage national and local interlocutors on durable solutions issues.
– Authorize payments relating to durable solutions.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Protection Learning Prg;
HCR Resettlement Lrng Prg;
HCR RSD Lrng Programme;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Good knowledge of refugee issues and Human Rights doctrine. Very good reporting and writing ability.
Diverse field experience. Knowledge of ProGress database software.
*IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software;
*MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L2 – Accountability Level 2
C002L2 – Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 – Communication Level 2
C004L2 – Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 – Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 – Organizational Awareness Level 2
M003L2 – Judgement and Decision Making Level 2
X001L2 – Analytical Thinking Level 2
X005L2 – Planning and Organizing Level 2
X007L2 – Political Awareness Level 2
X008L2 – Stakeholder Management Level 2
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies advertised in this addendum is Thursday 4 March 2021 (mid-night Geneva time).