Civil Engineer – Mogadishu
Closing date 26 Oct 2020
Overview of position
In late 2019 parts of Somalia experienced some of the worst flooding in the country’s recent history resulting in several deaths and significant damage to infrastructure, crops, property, and livestock. Further to this flood event, a joint assessment was undertaken by the World Bank and the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) to assess the losses and damage caused by the floods and to develop a strategy for immediate recovery and longer-term resilience building. As a result Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (SCRP) was formulated and financed by the World Bank to the Federal Ministry of Finance (MOF). The project aimed at supporting the recovery of livelihoods and infrastructure in flood and drought affected areas and strengthening the capacity for disaster preparedness nationwide, has 5 components; Component 1: Immediate basic services and livelihood support; Component 2: Medium-term flood recovery; Component 3: Longer term disaster preparedness; Component 4: Project management; and Component 5: Contingent emergency response. The recovery interventions will focus on three flood affected Sates (Hirshabelle, South West State and Jubaland), while the longer term interventions will focus on a broader national coverage, enabling Government capacity strengthening in Disaster Risk Management.
The Project Implementation Unit (PIU) of the MOF has now commenced the implementation of the Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (SCRP) activities with the United Nations Office for Project Services (Our client) assisting with the technical support.
The Engineer embedded within the PIU team of the MOF will undertake assessments of the infrastructure related work requests and advise with information on feasibility, preliminary costs estimates and other planning inputs to assist PIU’s work plan development process and the subsequent design developments. The specific roles and responsibilities include, but not limited to;
· Review infrastructure related work requests received by the PIU, rank them in order of the priority assigned by the PIU and ensure the completeness of information received
· Assess the work requests for feasibility, develop scope of works and preliminary costs estimates as input to the PIU planning process
· In consultation with the stakeholders, develop the designs for the expected infrastructure upgrade and rehabilitation works in the areas of irrigation canals, WASH activities, roads, buildings and other general civil engineering works including specifications and detailed estimates
· Assist PIU in the engagement of implementing partners / contractors for the rehabilitation works implementation providing technical input to the process
· Assist PIU in the rehabilitation works implementation supervision including quality control, progress monitoring, work quantities verifications for payments etc.
· Preparation of PIU support progress reports outlining achievements, issues encountered and proposed improvements etc, as requested by the Our client Team Leader
· Other tasks and duties requested by the Our client Team Leader to support PIU team in delivering infrastructure construction and rehabilitation
To the Team Leader
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or in a related area is required.
• Minimum of 6 years of working experience in civil engineering services including assessments, designs and construction supervision of small-scale / community level infrastructure is required
• Ability to use engineering drafting software to develop engineering drawings is required.
• Working experience in Somalia is essential
• Fluent in written and spoken Somali and English is required
• Specific experience in design and rehabilitation of irrigation canals, WASH related infrastructure, rural roads and small buildings is preferred
This role does not require team management
• This is a local national role
• qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: