Communication and Information Systems Manager – Hargeisa
Background of Somali NGO Consortium
The Somali NGO Consortium (SNC) is a membership network that brings together local and international NGOs working in Somalia/Somaliland to encourage peer learning and information sharing, collective advocacy, membership engagement and coordination, representation and to amplify voice of NGO community to better work together to improve the lives of Somalis affected by conflict, natural disasters and poverty. The Consortium aims to facilitate a more coherent NGO voice and assist NGO members to channel their concerns and influence decision makers in the most effective format. The Somali NGO Consortium has offices in Mogadishu, Garowe Baidoa, Kismayo, Dhusamareeb in Somalia, and Hargeisa, Somaliland.
The purpose of the Communication and Information Systems Manager is to collate, analyze and disseminate information on the activities of the Consortium members, and play an integral part in knowledge and information management of humanitarian response, development and interventions being undertaken by NGOs in Somalia. She/he will provide a key role in ensuring professional pro-active and reactive membership services in line with the SNC strategy, in all locations and will provide coaching/mentoring support to field-based team members. The position is based in Hargeisa with frequent travel to other regions in Somalia and Somaliland.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
Data Management, data visualization, analysis, and reporting (30%):
- Strengthen the ICT infrastructure to enhance timely communication and feedback with the members and other key stakeholders.
- Lead the design, development, cleaning and managing the content of databases, spreadsheets, and other data tools.
- Understand, document, and ensure the quality of high-value humanitarian data for accuracy, consistency, and comparability
- Lead the consolidation of operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis.
- Lead the evaluation and analysis of location specific datasets through meaningful statistical techniques; understand, document, and ensure the quality of high-value humanitarian data for internal analysis as well as for members analysis.
- Lead the management cvb of platforms and tools that support data collection and analysis such as Kobo Toolbox and Open Data Kit (ODK).
- Lead in the production and updating of information products such as reports, charts and infographics by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a storyline.
- Develop advocacy materials including posters, presentations, and other visual materials.
Information and Knowledge Management (20%):
- Facilitate information sharing between members and external stakeholders.
- Pro-actively collect information relevant to NGOs and NGO programmes in Somalia.
- Support NGO Consortium Staff in providing reports with updates and recommendations on humanitarian needs, evolving humanitarian access and security, and key issues relating to coordination and humanitarian space in Somalia.
- Provide inputs to sitreps, reports and other ad hoc documents to be sent to members.
Membership Engagement (20%)
- Develop and delivery membership strategy, including design of a detailed member satisfaction study and regional analysis to inform the strategy.
- Direct and oversee membership activities and services for the organization.
- Develop membership reporting and planning system to inform and update Senior Management Team.
- Develop initiatives and policies designed to increase and retain membership and improve members’ satisfaction.
- Create, update, and distribute information to current members as well as prospective members.
- Work with the Administration and Finance team in the determination of membership fees.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical membership matters to the Senior Management Team.
- Undertake Membership analysis to periodically bring inputs for the SNC strategic Plan.
- Develop annual calendar of all coordination meetings; increased structured engagement with the government administrations, the private sector and communities on relevant issues
- Produce and update of information products such as reports, charts, and infographics by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a storyline.
- Ensure timely information sharing to members and other stakeholders, and capacity strengthening for members.
- Develop advocacy materials including posters, presentations and other visual materials.
- Manage content on SNC web platforms, undertake quality control for the platform and ensure content is current, comprehensive and follows relevant metadata standards.
- Work with external counterparts on related web platforms such as agency and cluster websites, ReliefWeb, hr.info and HDX to facilitate cross-site search and interoperability.
- Ensure the consistency of the NGO Consortium’s public position, press statements through communications across media and digital platforms including NGO Consortium website, Relief web, Twitter, Facebook and others.
Web Management (10):
- Manage content on relevant web platforms, undertake quality control for the platform and ensure content is current, comprehensive and follows relevant metadata standards.
- Work with external counterparts on related web platforms such as agency and cluster websites, Relief Web, hr.info and HDX to facilitate cross-site search and interoperability.
Representation, Coordination with Members and External Actors (5%):
- Participate in coordination meetings with members and other international and local humanitarian organizations, ensuring that the Consortium is appropriately represented in the relevant working groups.
- Respond in a timely manner to all queries received regarding the Consortium’s activities, including induction for new members, or new staff of a member agency.
- Regularly visit members’ offices to ensure regular consultation and buy-in from members.
- Proactively reach out to all eligible national NGOs and INGOs to join the Consortium.
Skills and Qualifications
- University degree in communication, social sciences, information management or a similar field.
- 3-5 years’ experience in advocacy, communications and dissemination in an international environment with good understanding of the current development and humanitarian trends and issues.
- Proven experience of communicating information and advocacy with a wide range of different audiences and working knowledge of Somalia.
- Demonstrable experience with advocacy/lobbying and/or communications (NGO or other stakeholders).
- Proven experience in developing high-quality advocacy and communication products.
- Ability to review and edit reports and other written documentation for dissemination and publication in English and/or Somali.
- Ability to collect information and undertake research under potentially difficult and constraining conditions.
- Ability to present information and communication products for a range of different audiences.
- Experience in social media as well as media liaison and media tools e.g., photography, video etc.
- Awareness of potential sensitivity of information in operating context and the ability to differentiate between information for internal versus external audiences.
- Willingness to work and travel in difficult circumstances and adhere to agree security procedures.
- Knowledge of international humanitarian/development system and the mandates of the actors involved.
- Proven understanding and experience of advocacy within a complex humanitarian context.
- Strong willingness to work and adapt to the NGO sector in compliance with humanitarian principles.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in one PDF document to SOM.SomalilandRecruitment@care.org by referring to the job title (Communication and Information Systems Manager) as the subject line of the email, latest on 17 May 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitation and abuses.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
To apply for this job email your details to SOM.SomalilandRecruitment@care.org