Action Against Hunger-USA
Communications and advocacy Manager – Mogadishu, Somalia
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT – VA 05/2021
|Communications and advocacy Manager
|Number of positions
|Program Development and Quality Coordinator
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $75 million in programs, and approximately 2000 staff based in in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of Position
The Communications and advocacy Manager will be responsible for strategically and technically leading and supporting the Communications and advocacy work to expand Action against Hunger’s communication and advocacy reach across Somalia. He/she will align and streamline internal communication and advocacy efforts across the organization through representing Action Against Hunger and coordinating communication and advocacy activities.
The purpose of this position it to provide communication support to implementation of various projects within Somalia and to drive and coordinate advocacy and engagement structures at local and national level to promote Action Against Hunger’s work for greater impact.
The Communications and advocacy Manager will focus on strategic partnerships and relationship building with other actors on fighting hunger and malnutrition with key stakeholders in the government institutions, donor community (GAC, GFFO, SIDA, ECHO, etc), UN Agencies (UN Women, UNICEF, WFP, UNFPA), like-minded NGOs and private sector in the country. In addition, He/She will position Country Office with key audiences and ensure Action Against Hunger USA’s technical leadership remains top of mind in the country. Collaborates with other country office departments and units, Networks to develop and deliver communication capacity building activities and conduct orientation activities on advocacy integration.
Develop and implement communication and advocacy plans and activities for country office projects including products (presentations, fact Sheets, policy briefs, documentation of case studies and success stories, videography and manage all online content, including organization’s website and social media) for both internal and external use.
Essential job duties.
Objective 1: Project Management (50%):
· Organize external meetings and events, including ensuring effective preparation for, scheduling, tracking and follow up.
· Providing strategic communications counsel to staff
· Developing and managing organization’s visual brand and messaging
· Developing communication channels and materials
· Planning and implementing coordinated campaigns that achieve results on time and within budget
· Writing fundraising-related content to inspire donations and communicate the impact of support given; Helping to develop online, direct mail and direct engagement fundraising campaigns that engage individual and corporate donors
· Planning and creating messaging and collateral to support programs and partnership development and management
· Pitching story ideas and securing coverage in regional, national, international and industry media
· Manage all online content, including organization’s website and social media
· Document program promising practices, success stories and lessons learnt and share them with donors and key partners
· Support the Learning event and support the implementation of the actionable points
· Track results of policy and advocacy initiatives at the output and outcome levels.
· Support in ensuring organizational policy and advocacy systems and processes are robust, effective and sustainable.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual communication and advocacy reports.
Objective 2: Government Relations and Influencing (20%):
· Lead Action Against Hunger’s efforts to influence policies, promote social protection and nutrition financing in international development.
· Support relationship building with Governments, Parliamentarians, policy and decision makers relevant to delivering advocacy objectives.
Objective 3: Advocacy Capacity Development (15%).
· Facilitate training on advocacy skill to Head office and Field staff
· Technically lead at the country office in development of field advocacy action plans
· Facilitate technical assistance to SUN Movement and local organizations
· Motivate and engage peers to share ideas and engage with the advocacy agenda.
Objective 3: External engagement (15%).
· Support all events and creatively communicate our role in program responses, enabling the exploitation of all media opportunities (including, mainstream media, new media and online opportunities such as blogging and social media influencers).
· Provide AAH brand management and communications quality control in the country and ensure staff understand and adhere to communications guidelines and protocols.
· Coordinate production of a diverse range of information products including audio/visual communications, when needed to achieve specific, program, policy and advocacy goals.
I. Fiscal Responsibility.
Budgeting of communication and advocacy related activities/ interventions and ensure implementation of these activities within budget, scope and time.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames Under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Gender Equality Commitments
· Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
· Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
· Respect beneficiaries women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
· Value and respect all cultures.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment.
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience.
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication related Course (e.g. in PR, external communication, Journalism) or other Social Sciences related discipline.
· Minimum 4 years work experience in a Communication role or a role that involves Advocacy for an NGO.
· Experience in program or Project design
Required Skills & Competencies.
· Excellent writing and communication skills
· Strong Relationship building skills, ability to engage and inspire others
· Experience in successful communication and advocacy work, preferably in international development, with preference for those that have professional experience working in Africa.
· Strong understanding of current lobbying and policy development landscape.
· Recognized capacity in translating complex information in a compelling and accessible way for non-technical audiences.
· Demonstrated experience in developing and advocating for gender equality and child rights policies.
· Demonstrated ability to develop analytical evidence-based policy papers and reports.
· Excellent English language skills.
· Ability to provide or recommend solutions to problems; show flexibility to assume additional responsibilities
· Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, including ability to find, absorb, analyze and prioritize information from many different sources, and proven experience of strategy development.
· Outstanding interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, including the presence to deal effectively with diverse constituencies including senior management
· Initiative in thought leadership, innovation and creativity.
· Ability to work and contribute positively in a team.
· Commitment to Action Against Hunger’s work and values.
· Editing content and writing publications including monthly newsletters, articles and the annual report
· Developing organic social media and website content including blogs and moderating social media communities
· Developing media strategies and press releases and managing media relationships
· Working with staff in country programs to collect stories, case studies, photos and videos.
· Managing budget activities for maximum operational efficiency.
How To Apply
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
email@example.com not later than 18th May 2021 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. Communications and advocacy Manager-Mogadishu
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org