Puntland Minority Women Development Organization (PMWDO)
Construction Engineer – Bosaso, Puntland, Somalia
|Puntland Minority Women Development Organization (PMWDO)
|Bosaso with frequent travel within Bari region-Puntland state
|Commitment to Diversity
|PMWDO is an equal opportunities employer.
Puntland Minority Women Development Organization (PMWDO) is a legally registered Community Service Organization (CSO) established in 2001 in Galkayo District of Mudug Region, Puntland State, Somalia. Even prior to the outbreak of the civil war and the subsequent collapse of the central government, minority communities in Somalia were marginalized and lacked
access to essential Social services such as Education and Health among other deprivations. Most of them were displaced by the civil war and live in camps in various parts of the country; a majority of them within Puntland State where they live in camps lacking most of the basic social needs.
PMWDO was hence established by a group of womenprofessionals from the Minority groups as a response to theneed for the provision of essential social services for thismarginalized people and as a platform to champion for theirfundamental rights as bonafide citizens of Somalia.PMWDO implements Community Development programs inthe areas of Health, Education, Human Rights, Peace Building and Reconciliation, Emergency and Disaster Relief mitigation alongside rehabilitation programs of collapsed infrastructure and institutions in Puntland State.
- Job Summary
The overall responsibility of the Education Project Officer is to support education activities with the Education projects in Bosaso and support in Xafun.The responsibility includes ensuring efficient and effective systems and processes are in place to implement program activities in accordance with donor requirements.
R1: Project Implementation
- Oversee the overall implementation of PMWDO project activities in Bari region of Puntland
- Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, explaining PMWDO’s role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
- Ensure community involvement in all phases of the project (identification, design, implementation, and monitoring) to ensure the development of community ownership for the projects. This should be done in coordination and cooperation with Infrastructure Program Manager and other key technical staff.
- In coordination with the infrastructure manager, assist in the preparation of designs and bill of quantities (BOQS) for water and education infrastructure works.
- In cooperation with the Program Manager and the Infrastructure manager, assist with development work plans for the implementation of infrastructure activities in the assigned regions in Somalia.
- Plan for support needs over the course of the programs, and work schedules (timelines) for the various phases of the programs.
- Assist in completing standard Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with community representatives and local authorities for each community identified for project activities. Ensure that all elements of MoU are adhered to.
- Implement projects as planned according to developed technical standards, schedules and timelines. This will include location on site for planned infrastructure based on community agreement, supervision of all construction works as regards classroom and water services construction.
- Keep detailed technical records for every construction works, training’s and meetings as per the instructions and formats existing Mercy Corps DM&E guidelines.
- Provide feedback through the Infrastructure manager to the Monitoring and Evaluation system in order to assess the effectiveness of the projects and impact and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports to the Infrastructure manager on infrastructure development activity.
- Assist the Infrastructure manager and tender committee in selection of qualified contractors to implement the rehabilitation and construction of the water and education infrastructures.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of project implementation, ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner according to standard engineering methods and contract supporting documents.
- Maintain detailed work plans and written records of engineering work undertaken in the project, including site visits and reporting of work progress.
- Other duties as assigned by the Infrastructure manager including assignments to any part of Somalia.
- Work closely with the procurement officer to follow up the procurement process of the project goods and services.
R2. Partnership & Capacity Building
- Train, support and mentoring of education mentors, teachers and Community Education Committee (CECs) in order to ensure quality delivery of programs.
- Ensuring the implementation of SHF project promotes capacity building for local communities, MOE, CBOs and government staff and agencies.
- Training and capacity building of CECs to oversee the management and administration of project schools.
- To manage delegated budgets as require in liaison with the Education program coordinator to ensure that all project funds are spent in accordance with donor policies.
- To lead on the development and implementation of a memorandum of understanding between PMWDO and CECs and review arrangements on a yearly basis in partnership with relevant CECs.
R3: Project Monitoring and review
- Collaborate with the regional and district officials of the MOE to oversee project implementation.
- Organize and participate in quarterly monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Ensure that project/program monitoring and evaluation system/tools are applied and project progress (activities and outputs), results and immediate objectives (outcomes) and impacts are systematically tracked, documented and shared as appropriate on the basis of partner and donors’ requirements.
- Travel to project sites of Education program and conduct regular monitoring of projects together with MOE and project team.
- Ensure the participation of beneficiaries in M&E of project activities.
R4. Reporting and representation
- Ensure the timely production of quality monthly and quarterly reports by collating reports of different field locations into one report and submission to Education Coordinator.
- Document programme learning and disseminate lessons learned to key stakeholders in the field.
- Prepare reports on each field visit conducted and submit to the report to Education Coordinator or other key management staff.
- Prepare case studies and success stories in the course of your work with the project.
- Represent PMWDO in all relevant forums, stakeholders such as local authorities, community leaders, representatives of NGOs, UN agencies and government issues related to education sector.
5.1 Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Education Coordinator or other key management staff.
- To bring to the notice of the Education Coordinator any discrepancies, serious incidents or any urgent information which may need serious consideration regarding day to day program activities
- To fulfill any additional assignments as deemed necessary by the organization.
- Perform other related tasks as requested by his/her immediate supervisor.
- Account for PMWDO’s assets and interests and safeguard from loss arising from fraud, waste, weak administration and poor value for money
- Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way, which reflects PMWDO’s commitment to delivering service to the needy beneficiaries.
III. Decision- Making authority
- Key Relationship /contacts
PMWDO sub – Office staff
Staff of other PMWDO projects
Line ministries –education.
Local partner organizations
- Direct Reports
Education Project Assistants
- Working Conditions
Based in Bosaso and requires substantive travel to project sites covering all the regions of Puntland. The duration will be 7Months and possible extension.
- University degree in Arts of education, social sciences or any other related field.
- At least 3 years working experience with INGOs/NGOs in Education
- Strong command of English
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good computer skills MS and Excel
- An individual with initiatives and strong team work skills
- Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups
- Establish courses of action for self and others to ensure work completed efficiently and effectively
NB: All applicants should drop a letter of application with updated CV (including 3 Professional referees) to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the position applied for in the subject. The deadline for application is Thursday20/05/2021
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com