Creative Associates International
Database Specialist – Mogadishu, Somalia
Somalia Bar ama Baro, BAB “Teach or Learn” Program
Position Title: Database Specialist
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Duration: Life of the project
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
USAID/Somalia Bar ama Baro, BAB “Teach or Learn” Program works to increase access to quality education for a targeted number of out-of-school children and youth (ages ~8-15 years) in specific regions of Somalia. The program will work to increase student enrollment in accelerated education program (AEP) sites, improve their safety, monitor acquisition of literacy, numeracy, and socio-emotional learning (SEL) skills among the learners who enroll in them, and enhance the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) Ministry of Education, Culture, and Higher Education’s (MoECHE’s) capacity to regulate them.
Database Specialist will be responsible for overall management of technology-based solutions for the project information system including data management. S/he will develop, administer, upgrade and maintain the Monitoring & Evaluation Information System (M&E-IS) while ensuring that the system meets USAID’s compliances including data quality compliances and reporting.
- In consultation with Director MERL and MERL team, conduct the data need assessment (DNA) to identify the data needs of the project.
- Based on the DNA, management needs and USAID data quality and reporting requirements, suggest cost-effective, user-friendly and context friendly technological options for the data management.
- Develop, administer, upgrade and maintain an integrated online M&E-IS complaint with the USAID data quality standards and requirements.
- Develop the user manual(s) and protocols for M&E-IS to be used as ready reference by M&E-IS users.
- Review, analyze and modify M&E-IS modules including documenting, designing, developing, testing, monitoring, and maintaining as per the emerging data needs.
- Manage and populate Creative MEDAL database by consolidating data from all project field sites, cleaning data and conducting data verification checks on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with MERL Director to analyze project monitoring and evaluation data and contribute to on-going learning throughout project implementation.
- Generate and provide quality data for reporting progress to MoECHE and USAID.
- Ensure the security of data in the M&E-IS through multiple strategies i.e. choosing highly secure server and webhosting platform(s), and high-tech built-in security features in the system.
- Build the capacity of MERL team, partners’ staff and any other users on use of M&E-IS (both online and off-line).
- Capacity build MoECHE regional staff (REO, DEO and Supervisors) on BAB data collection approaches.
- Build in data quality checks in M&E-IS including user-rights and automatic checks for the data entered into M&E-IS.
- Maintain an up-to-date catalog of all project M&E tools and forms.
- Maintain all electronic and hard copy of data files.
- Provide ICT support to the regional office.
- Regularly backup the data from M&E-IS on cloud-based server as well as on hard drive.
- Perform any other related duties assigned by the Director MERL.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Sciences or Information Technology. Master degree is preferred.
- Proven knowledge in of developing application using SQL/MySQL, PHP, or any other web-based open-source technologies.
- Working knowledge of ODK and Tangerine.
- Strong knowledge in Mobile application development for Android, IOS, Windows Phone, and Cross platforms
- At least four years’ experience in database development. Experience in mobile application development will be highly preferred.
- Experience in designing, development, and integration of web services on mobile platforms is desired.
- Strong skills of data encryption and data management.
- Ability of integrating various mobile applications through upgrades to newer versions or transfer to new technologies.
- Experience in designing reporting modules to expert reports from applications in various templates i.e. MS Excel, CSV, JSON, PDF etc. from the web-technologies.
- Good understanding of data quality issues in information technologies.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation will be considered as an added advantage.
- Previous experience of monitoring in USAID projects will be highly preferred.
- Strong skills in managing and analyzing data in collaboration with the project Team.
- This position description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of the position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed appropriate and necessary.
- High level of gender sensitivity and respect for diversities while working in multinational and multicultural environment
- Must have exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Must be professionally proficient in written and spoken English.
- Must be fluent in written and spoken Somali language.
- Must be able to demonstrate leadership and team-building skills.
- Must be able to engage positively and productively with a diverse population of team members, stakeholders and government counterparts.
- Must have a valid Somali passport, or at least valid Somali national ID card and work permit, or obtain within 90-days of contract signing, to facilitate living and working in Somali and work- related travel throughout BAB Program area of implementation.
- Experience of working on Donor funded projects, preferably with USAID.
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resume & cover letter to Recruitment@crea-bab.com
With the subject line indicating Application for Database Specialist – Mogadishu Somalia
Deadline 10th June 2021.
Only selected candidate will be contacted.
Creative Associates International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to Recruitment@crea-bab.com