Bachelor’s degree in Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering is required. Post graduate qualifications withspecialization in hydrology / drainage related areas is desirable..
Minimum of 6 years of demonstrable relevant Other experience.
Minimum of 6 year of experience in Other (desirable).
Fluency in English is essential.
CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
In late 2019 parts of Somalia experienced some of the worst flooding in the country’s recent history resulting in several deaths and significant damage to infrastructure, crops, property, and livestock. Further to this flood event, a joint assessment was undertaken by the World Bank and the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) to assess the losses and damage caused by the floods and to develop a strategy for immediate recovery and longer-term resilience building. As a result Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (SCRP) was formulated and financed by the World Bank to the Federal Ministry of Finance (MoF). The project is aimed at supporting the recovery of livelihoods and infrastructure in flood and drought affected areas and strengthening the capacity for disaster preparedness nationwide. The recovery interventions will focus on three flood affected Sates (Hirshabelle, South West State and Jubaland), while the longer term interventions will focus on a broader national coverage, enabling Government capacity strengthening in Disaster Risk Management. .
The Project Implementation Unit (PIU) established within the MoF is managing the project implementation with our client providing technical support in project activities design, implementation, monitoring and reporting. The Drainage Engineer will be part of our client’s technical team providing investigation and design input to drainage improvements and flood mitigation aspects of the project.
Consultant Roles & ResponsibilitiesThe Drainage Engineer is responsible for the review of existing drainage system functionality, assess the system improvement requirements and develop improvement measures including detailed designs for the works implementation. More specific roles of the job are outlined below.
● Study and assess the storm water drainage flows using all available data and information including (but not limited to) past studies, rainfall data, catchment data, contour maps as well as information collected through local authorities and community consultation.
● Site visits, community consultation, Government liaison as part of drainage assessment and developments of drainage management solutions.
● Review the performance of the existing storm water drainage system including disposal facilities considering the hydraulic capacity, assets condition, maintenance requirements, storm water quality management etc. and report on the system performance identifying most critical components requiring immediate interventions (both maintenance and capital works).
● Establish design parameters, develop optimum drainage solutions considering both immediate interventions and long term solutions. Prepare designs including design drawings, specifications, bill of quantities to the required standard to be included in tender documents.
● Preparation of investigation and design reports as well as related communication material for the donor and the stakeholder sharing.
● General technical support including during tendering process and the works implementation.
The successful candidate will report to the Project Manager
Fluency in written and spoken English is required
This role has no team management responsibility
Qualification and Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering is required. Post graduate qualifications withspecialization in hydrology / drainage related areas is desirable.
● Minimum 6 years of investigation and design experience in drainage systems in developing countries is required. The experience shall cover both open drains and pumped applications.
● Experience in urban hydrology applications, hydraulic computations, pumps selections etc related to drainage systems is required. Ability to apply knowledge to generate hydrological data in areas where availability of data is limited is a specific advantage to the position performance.
Registration as a Professional Engineer with a recognized institution is required.
Working experience in Somalia / East Africa is desirable.