Federal Government of Somalia (FGS)
Environmental Specialist – Mogadishu, Somalia
The Federal Republic of Somali
Ministry of Finance of Federal Government of Somalia
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS)
NAME OF PROJECT: SOMALIA ENHANCING PUBLIC RESOURCE MANAGEMENT PROJECT
PROJECT ID: P177298 Grant No.: IDA-E1360
Assignment Title: Environmental Specialist
Reference No.: SO-MOF-360006-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Mogadishu Somalia
Submission deadline: May 27th, 2023
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) has received financing from the World Bank towards the implementation of the Somalia Enhancing Public Resource Management Project (SERP). The SERP project is implemented on behalf of FGS by the Ministry of Finance. The Project Development Objective (PDO) is to support the FGS to strengthen accountability, transparency and institutional capacity in public resource management, across participating entities. It is envisaged that SERP will assist the FGS by focusing on synergies and interconnectedness between improving domestic revenue mobilization (DRM), Public Financial Management (PFM), and Public Sector Management (PSM). Integration of revenue, expenditure, and service delivery will in time improve formal tax collection, strengthen legitimacy, and reduce the role of non-state actors The Ministry of Finance intends to apply part of the proceeds for the payment for services of the Environmental Specialist.
The Ministry of Finance (FGS), therefore, seeks an experienced, highly qualified and committed Environmental Specialist for the project. The Environmental Specialist will be responsible for managing and monitoring environmental risks, and will work closely with the project coordinator, other PIU members and senior officials at the Ministries of Finance, Labor, National Civil Service Commissions and across the Government at all levels (Federal & Federal Member States).
- Scope of work for the Environmental Specialist
- The Environmental Specialist is expected to provide technical advise on environmental risk management technical advice and support to the Ministry of Finance with regard to the Somalia Enhancing Public Resource Management project in line with the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Framework.
- The Environmental Specialist will take the lead in conducting environmental screening and scoping of project activities, in addition to regular environmental assessment and monitoring and reporting to both the Federal Government of Somalia and the World Bank through the Project Coordinator.
- The Environmental Specialist will be responsible for developing and updating project-level environmental risk management instruments in close coordination with the Project Coordination Unit and with the Project’s Social Specialist, as well as implementing the environmental risk mitigation measures as outlined in the project’s instruments, including the Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP), the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and Labour Management Procedures (LMP).
- The Specialist will be responsible for the preparation and implementation of environmental framework instruments (including ESMP) to meet the World Bank Environmental and Social Standards, while working in close coordination with the PCU.
- The Specialist will take the lead in monitoring compliance with the existing environmental mitigation measures for the project, and will provide technical backstopping in the preparation of environmental assessment and monitoring reports as needed upon request from the PCU and the World Bank.
- The Specialist shall work with the project’s Procurement Specialist in integrating environmental risk management provisions into procurement activities, including ensuring that mitigation measures are fully factored into procurement planning and are well resourced.
- In close concert with the Social Development Specialist for the project, the Environmental Specliast shall carefully monitor the project grievance redress mechanism(s) at the FMS level and carrying out implementation addressing E&S related grievances/incidents.
- The Specialist shall also undertake additional duties as reasonably directed by the Project Coordinator.
Skills and Qualifications
- Selection Criteria
This assignment requires Environmental Specialist with the following qualifications and experience as:
- Master’s degree in environmental sciences or related fields (including Ecology, Natural Resources Management, Geosciences, Social Sciences etc.)
- Minimum of five years relevant professional work experience in environmental impact assessments, environmental audits, legal and policy review, and formulation of project action plans for environmental safeguard management in projects financed by international donor agencies (preferably the World Bank)
- Conversant with relevant Somalia national and state environmental laws.
- Proven ability to advise and support project environmental and social assessment and preparation
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and communication skills, ability to work in English is essential, as is knowledge of Somali language and culture
- Experience of working in conflict-affected countries is an advantage
- Knowledge of local dynamics and legal systems is an advantage.
- Familiarity and experience with WB Environmental and Social Framework, including the Environmental and Social Standards, is an advantage
- Knowledge and experience of ICT-based Office applications and tools (word processing, spreadsheets and data processing, and PowerPoint)
- Duration & Duty Station: Twelve (12) months. The duty station is Mogadishu Somalia with travels to the FMSs
- The Ministry of Finance of Federal Government of Somalia (MoF) now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV)and cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) can be found at the following website: www.mof.gov.so or it can be forwarded to the applicant upon request to the address indicated below.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14, 3.16 and 3.21of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated November 2020, current edition (“Procurement Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
- The selection will be conducted in accordance with the procedures for selection of Individual Consultants set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations for Investment Project Financing (IPF) Borrowers dated November 2020 (Procurement Regulations).
How to apply
Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address given below from 8:30 to 3.30pm Mogadishu time (Excluding public holidays).
Expressions of interest (EOI) and CV with 3 reference persons must be delivered (by e-mail or in person) in a written form to the address below by May 27th, 2023 at 12:00 Hours (Mogadishu Time) – marked clearly as “Expression of Interest for Environmental Specialist MoF)” Ref; SO-MOF-360006-CS-INDV,
RCRF Project – Office of the PIU
Ministry of Finance of Federal Government of Somalia, Mogadishu
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org