Finance Assistant – Mogadishu, Somalia
Finance Assistant, GS-5, Fixed Term, Mogadishu, Somalia # 105595, CSR
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Finance and Administration, G-5
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Hope
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision of the Finance Officer the Finance Assistant act as the main liaison between the local office and the GSSC. The LFP bears the responsibility of submitting complete, correct and genuine requests to GSSC for processing through Service gateway. Under the general supervision of Admin/Finance Officer, incumbent performs a variety of data information gathering, input and manipulation, report generation and dissemination using VISION.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES and DUTIES & TASKS
Act as Accounts and Finance Focal Person to submit the vision transaction related information:
- Management of funds: Ensure sufficient funds availability for UNICEF Programme and Operations activities. Coordinate with Programme Sections to get quarterly and monthly Cash forecast. Consolidate and share the Cash forecast With the Country Office Finance section for coordination and ensuring cash arrangements.
- Review of Delivery Receipts, invoices for individual & institutional consultants and posting Service Entry Sheet/Proof of Delivery in Vision by performing three way matching to ensure accuracy and effectiveness.
- Submission of all PO related invoices in GSSC software after posting of SeS/POD in Vision and close coordination of these with the Country Office Finance Unit.
- Monitors status of submitted Finance requests through completion, using service gateway.
- Review of Monthly, interim and year end accounts closure activities pertaining to Zonal transactions and take appropriate actions. Review of monthly accounts closure activities on share point and download in Excel to submit in service gateway to GSSC for clearing and matching of open items of accounts payable, vendors, customers, GL, IR/GR etc on monthly basis.
- Review of DCT liquidations of PCO (both CSOs & Government) and also follow up with program sections if addition information is required to liquidate the DCTs and also participate in Financial assessment/spot check of CSOs/Government counterpart as and when requested by concerned program sections.
2. Timely and effective user support is provided on Vision(through MyCase and P&T):
- Swiftly responds to incoming requests and communicate with GSSC focal person for VISION transaction and related services, acts as LFP on requests and provides first time answers and resolution as is possible.
- Records and retrieves diverse financial data and information in large automated database, like VISION and service gateway.
- Records Vision Document (SR), SES, POD, FC, FR and DCT payment request and coordinate with program section and field offices;
- Prepare DCT report and share with Admin Finance Officer and Operations Manager for update monthly KPI.
- Reconcile monthly travel invoice and ensure timely payment.
- Make all efforts in minimizing the number of returned and rejected requests, by submitting “right first time” information to the GSSC, following guidelines available in the SOP and submission requirements listed in service gateway. Consult and coordinate with requesting units and the relevant supervisors to ensure reasons for rejections are analyzed and followed up, to avoid future occurrences
- Receives documentation to be submitted to the GSSC (e.g. invoices, vendor credit memos, emails requesting reversals of invoices processed, approved PSB minutes, etc.)
- Ensures accuracy and completeness of information required to submit a request to the GSSC, using the applicable SOP which specifies mandatory information and list of attachments for each type of request
- Checks with the requesting unit or operations section before submission to GSSC, if there is any un-clarity or doubt upon correctness, eligibility, or genuine nature of request. Resolve any issues involving operations or finance unit from the local office in case of doubt that policy due diligence was followed.
- Accesses appropriate action input menu and completes the established input procedures.
- Retrieves monitoring reports, in accordance with established timelines and procedures.
- Analyzes problems, identifies alternatives, tests and recommends solutions.
3. Performance monitoring and assessment is regularly conducted for service improvement:
- Ensure application/compliances of Financial Policies and Guidelines, established process and procedures by all team members.
- Provides detailed metrics periodically on VISION LSSC transactions, provide analysis and issues, and defines training needs, for improvement in the service provided to users.
4. Escalation is properly directed in a timely manner:
- Assist and consolidate service calls where immediate support is not possible, in a timely manner, to the
- Liaises with Country Office, GSSC and program focal person
- Develop and implement effective staff learning and development program activities for the Finance Accounts/LSSC team.
5. Coordination and Execution:
- Ensure regular and proactive communication and follow up with all relevant sections and units who utilize the services of the Finance Unit.
- Maintains liaisons with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations.
- Respond/answer/telephonic/e-mail requests/queries in relation to VISION transactions pertaining to Zonal transactions.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible Finance Accounts work experience is required.
- Fluency in English and in the local language of the duty station required
For every Child, you demonstrate
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: 14 Jun 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
Deadline: 20 Jun 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs