Islamic Relief Ethiopia
Gender Officer – Dekasuftu, Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
Deadline May 13, 2021
Re – Vacancy Advertisement
April 29, 2021
Post title: Gender Officer
Report to: Area Operation Manager
Duty Station: Somali Regional State, Dekasuftu
Salary: As per the organizations scale
Duration One year with possible extension
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Jigjiga, Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, GG and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa, Awra and Gulina; Oromia regional State, West Harergeye, Chiro and Meayso Woredas and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us
The Gender Officer will be based in Dekasuftu woreda and responsible for the overall implementation of the project entitled “Gender Equality project –Tackling FGM/C and early and forced marriage. S/he will work closely with all departments and stakeholders to ensure that the project implementation is in line with the proposed objectives and related activities and implemented within the framework of agreement with the donor as well as the government technically S/he will plan, implement and follow up day to day of Gender Equality project interventions and coordination with other sectors actors in Dekasuftu under the direct supervision of P&I Officer in Country office and administratively with Area Operation Manager based in Hargelle. Moreover s/he will work closely with program department staff members through P&I Officer and will engage in the process of incorporating crosscutting issues, such as protection principles and promoting meaningful access, safety and dignity, inclusion, safeguarding, PSEA and Child protection in project interventions and will perform the following specific tasks and undertake the responsibilities.
Key Role and Responsibilities
· Work closely and liaison with CO P&I Officer and other focal points (Safeguarding-PSEA, accountability (CRM) and Gender and Child protection focal points).
· Follow issues, communications and enquires coming from CO technical staff (Program Manager, PDQA manager, P&I officer and MEAL) and focal persons.
· Lead the implementation of Gender equality activities of the project in collaboration with other stakeholders.
· Ensure that all programme targets are reached in accordance with agreed programme objectives, as per contracts with donors, in line with the overall programme approach and ensure integration with other programme /sectoral activities.
· Ensure the preparation of detailed implementation work plans and provide the necessary guidance and support to the team to achieve timely and quality implementation of activities.
· Monitor and manage Gender Equality project expenditure and budgets, ensuring resources are optimally utilized and spending is in line with IRE financial procedures and Donor requirements.
· Ensure the integration COVID-19 pandemic topics with in community sensitization and awareness raising campaign and events.
· Promote the inclusion of people with disabilities and other vulnerable groups in all programming that promotes universal design in structures and service delivery for increased access and adaptive support.
· Facilitate and ensure the proper delivery of trainings, on para-legal and conflict resolution for school management and girls club members, life skills for girls’ club representatives, school dropout adolescent girls.
· Facilitate and ensure the proper delivery of trainings on entrepreneurship and small scale business selection and management for circumcisers, mothers/ guardians of school dropout girls and dropout adolescent girls.
· Facilitate and ensure the proper delivery of training to selected women and girls CC facilitators, selected men and boys CC facilitators to carry out community mobilization activities and for CBOs/CSOs on HRBA, Policy Advocacy in relation to EM & FGM/C
· Ensure and monitor the social behavior change strategies, intervention, community mobilization, and awareness at Scholl, at Jumma Prayer and at community level.
· Ensure and monitor the proper (inclusive) selection of CC facilitator, club members, out of school members, women and adolescent gills for IGA group, and community champions.
· Ensure the proper and timely transfer of seed money for circumcisers and mothers/guardians/ adolescent girls.
· Prepare and submit regular relevant sections of reports required for field office, country office, donors, management, on weekly/monthly, bi-annual basis through review of progress assessments against pre-defined project objectives, outputs, activities and indicators on time with accurate data.
· Ensure data collection mechanisms are in place and disaggregated by SADDD (data protection)
· Demonstrate ethical and professional practice including respect of participant confidentiality and point of view, IRE’s Safeguarding Policies (Child Protection, PSEA, Code of conduct and other policies).
· Perform any other related activities given by his/her immediate supervisor.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, Learning
· Supporting the project team in measuring achievement and progress towards project goals and results.
· Collaborate with the MEAL team in the development of gender-responsive tools during assessments, project evaluations, and report, and in documenting and sharing best practices/lessons learned.
· Coordinate with MEAL colleagues to ensure complaints and feedback mechanism is inclusive (gender and child sensitive) in terms of access.
· IR team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants target group/, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
· IR staff are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Human Resource Management & Capacity Building
· With support from CO HR, conduct staff annual performance appraisal for all gender equality staff in Dekasuftu district in a timely manner.
· Adhere with IR PSEA and safeguarding policies.
· Work with HR to ensure accuracy of all Gender equality project job descriptions for staffs and their responsibilities.
· In collaboration with CO HR and P&I officer design and monitor capacity building strategies for all staff.
· Develop, implement and promote effective team communication techniques and systems, including regular senior staff meetings.
Coordination & Collaboration
· Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all relevant stakeholders, other partners and community members in Dekasuftu district.
· Collaborate with other IR sectors and operations personnel to ensure that the program is properly supported and that all project-related operational activities are conducted according to IR HR, Logistics, Finance and other policies and procedures;
· In collaboration with the CO P & I officer promote and represent the interests of the Gender equality project with regards to all relevant stakeholders;
· Finance & Compliance Management
· Ensure compliance and transparent use of resources in compliance with donor and IR regulations.
· Influence and represent and Participate on the contribution to the relevant coordination and decision making forums in Dekasuftu district related to Gender and GBV.
Education and Work experience
• University degree in one of the relevant areas-in Gender, Sociology, Social work, Psychology, International Law, Human Rights, or other related Social Science; Public health and Reproductive Health or another Social Sciences relevant field of study
• Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience or Master’s degree with a minimum of 2 years of relevant professional work experience and required to have at least two and one year’s experience in issues related with Gender, GBV response project or child and forced marriage, Protection and Child protection preferably with experience in the NGO field.
• Demonstrate enhanced knowledge of inclusive programming approach to child protection, Gender and GBV issues.
• Commitment to working with women and girls, and their rights, safety, empowerment, and improving their access to resources and services.
• Good understanding of Gender, GBV and guidelines in preventing in humanitarian action, CHS Commitments, SPHERE, minimum standards of protection, CP, GBV and age and disability inclusion.
• Good understanding of project monitoring and evaluation.
• Fluency in English, and knowledge of local languages (Somali) is mandatory.
• Communication skills
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment
• Good interpersonal skills
• Teamwork/working with people
• Drive for results Learning Elements
• Articulate methodology of programme and project management; rights based and results based programming
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for beneficiaries at all times is essential.
• Integrity, strong work ethic, ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure and with limited supervision.
• Female candidates are highly encouraged and preferred.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is May 13, 2021.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et