The situation in Somalia remains fragile with continued political instability, climatic variability, and lack of basic social services. OCHA’s role is to coordinate effective and principled inter-agency humanitarian response and ensure that relief assistance reaches the people who need it in a timely manner. In line with OCHA’s global mission, OCHA Somalia’s priorities are:
- Maintain effective humanitarian coordination while reinforcing the collaboration and relationship with the government.
- Enhance advocacy for effective humanitarian financing.
- Improve safe, timely and unimpeded access to people in need in hard-to-reach or underserved areas through access and civil-military coordination approaches.
- Ensure that the implementation of the Centrality of Protection (CoP) Strategy is at the core of humanitarian action and bringing forward the Grand Bargain commitments in Somalia.
- Increase efforts towards joined-up analysis, planning and programming with development and peace actors
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Administration and Finance, the HR Analyst ensures effective delivery of HR services to OCHA/SOMALIA. He/she interprets and applies HR policies, rules and regulations, implements internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale.
The HR Analyst works in close collaboration with UNDP/Somalia staff, ensuring successful OCHA performance in HR management.
Summary of the key functions:
- Ensures implementation of HR strategies and policies
- Provides effective Human Resources management
- Ensures proper staff performance management
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in OCHA Somalia
Ensures implementation of HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of the following:
- Full compliance with HR activities with UN rules and regulations, OCHA policies, procedures and strategies. Interpretation of HR policies and regulations and advice to senior managers on their applications, taking into account their particular needs.
- OCHA Somalia HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management control the workflows in the HR Unit.
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals on the strategic approach to recruitment in OCHA proper use of contractual modalities, forecast of the staffing needs, performance evaluation and staff career development management
Ensures effective human resources management focusing on achievement of the following:
- Management of transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes including updated job descriptions, proper job classification, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, organization of interview panels, making recommendations on recruitment;
- A preliminary review of submissions to the Local Appointment and Promotion Board (LAPB).
- Management of National Staff contract.
- Participates in corporate surveys as the Salary Survey, Global Staff Survey Management of the International staff entitlements and benefits delegated to the HR Unit.
- Development and management of rosters and staffing tables.
Provides support to proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results
- Analysis of requirements and elaboration of the protocol for the performance appraisal process, facilitation of the process.
- Identify training opportunity for OCHA Somalia Staff
- Elaboration of proposals on and implementation of strategic staffing policies in line with career development.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in OCHA, focusing on achievement of the following:
- Participation in the organization and conduct of training for operations/ programme staff on HR issues
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in HR and administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Innovation – Ability to make new and useful ideas work; Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
- Leadership – Ability to persuade others to follow : Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others
- People Management – Ability to improve performance and satisfaction : Models independent thinking and action
- Communication – Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform : Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis
- Delivery – Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement : Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
- Building Partnerships – Maintaining a network of contacts : Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing – Basic research and analysis; Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise – Fundamental knowledge of own discipline ; Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- Client Orientation – Establishing effective client relationships : Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business Administration, Business Management, Public Administration or related field in a combination of two years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Business Management, Public Administration or related field with a combination of four years relevant experience in HR may be acceptable in lieu of the Master degree
- Minimum relevant experience of 2 years with a Masters degree OR 4 years with a Bachelors degree at the national or international level in providing Human Resources advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems
- Relevant Human Resources experience within the UN common system is required.
- Experience in coordinating the training of staff is required
- Knowledge of ERP system such as UMOJA, Atlas is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is desirable
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Somalia is desirable.
- Working knowledge of other UN language is desirable
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.