Rights Respected, People Protected
Organization: NRC – Norwegian Refugee Council
Operations and Administrations
Emergency Aid and Response
Closing Date: 2018-05-06
Founded in 1946, today the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) works in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. Our 6,000 employees provide life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. NRC specialises in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend their rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena.
NRC’s expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. NORCAP experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Do you want to be NRC’s Intern HR/Admin Assistant?
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC’s East Africa and Yemen operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across seven countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Role Specific Information
The purpose of a HR/Admin Assistant is to implement delegated area of responsibility. The HR/Admin Assistant will ensure implementation of NRC policies, procedures and tools with focus and main responsibility on Human resources and administrative functions.
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Receiving visitors to the office in a cordial and respectful manner;
- Make travel arrangements, booking of flights, visas and hotel accommodation for staff and visitors.
- Guesthouse administration and record tracking of Guesthouse.
- Assist in any Administrative matters: filing, printing, updating of staff contact lists), and keeping adequate stationery supplies for office consumption
- Follow up all NRC monthly telephone, internet, electricity water bills and settle on time
- Follow up the due dates of Guesthouse, Warehouse and Office lease agreement and inform to Logistics Department
- Provide administrative and logistical support in organizing workshops /trainings
- Supervise the maintenance of the office and the office compound in collaboration with the logistics department.
- Supervise office attendant and Guest House/Office Cleaner
- Receive, distribute and register faxes, mails, documents and reports
- Assist in maintaining inventory of office equipment, furniture and fittings
- Provide secretarial support such as typing, takings minutes, drafting letters, etc.
- Write tenancy agreements and keep track and notify the respective occupants or offices of the expiry of tenancy agreements.
- Oversee the maintenance and cleanliness in all office interiors and advise the cleaners accordingly.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university graduate in HR, Business Administration or related field, with a minimum of 6 months – 1 year previous experience in Human Resources Management with International Humanitarian and development organisations. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, in particular in Somalia. Fluent in English and Somali both written & verbal, able to work in a team as well as independently.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong interpersonal & communication skills, good computer skills, who can work well under pressure. Understands the statutory laws & has wide knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Contract period: up to December 2018 with possibility of extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.