Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Interpreter Assistant normally report to the Associate Protection Officer, based in Bossaso. The incumbent supports the operation with translation and interpretation related activities.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Interprets and/or translates from newspapers, written reports, magazines etc.;
– Interprets and/or translates RSD interviews;
– Interprets oral conversations, discussions and interviews especially when attending meetings with high ranking officials, diplomats and others;
– Travels with international staff on their missions to the field for interpretation and other assistance, as needed;
– Arranges meetings, both internal and external, some involving high-ranking officials and takes minutes/notes;
– Meets official personnel at the airport and facilitates immigration and customs formalities;
– Responds to queries relating to the area of responsibility;
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G4 – 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Business Administration Secretarial
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Frequent contacts involving the exchange of a wide range of information, some of which may be complex.
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Knowledge of English, Arabic and Somali language are essential.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.