Law Enforcement Expert Specialized Lead Mentor – Somalia
Closing date 22 Oct 2020
Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Our client as the guardian of the UNTOC & the protocol to prevent, suppress & punish trafficking in persons, especially women & children (trafficking in persons protocol) & the protocol against the smuggling of migrants by land, sea & air (smuggling of migrants protocol) is mandated to promote global adherence to these instruments & to assist member states in implementing the provisions thereof.
- Accordingly, the consultancy supports the implementation of the USDOS, INL funded “CIP for Somalia” activities, as part of our clients regional sub program on “countering transnational organized crime & illicit trafficking in Eastern Africa”.
- The objective of the CIP for Somalia is to provide technical assistance & operational guidance in a holistic manner the overall objective to promote & support the effective response to organized crime in Somalia by enhancing the strategic & operational police capacity to enforce laws, strategies & policies. The following three main objectives include: i) Strengthen law enforcement institutional capacity to effectively implement UNCTOC & its supplementing protocols. ii) Enhance knowledge & skills on & capacity to counter organized & other serious crimes through basic & advanced police training programs. iii) Increase law enforcement organizational, operational & technological capacity in enforcing laws, strategies & policies through operational support & technical assistance.
The purpose of the consultancy is to develop the capacity & competence of the federal criminal investigation departments & state criminal investigation units of the SPF across Somalia. Along with providing a core of trained investigators to compliment the creation of new CIU in those member states with no current investigative capacity, the program will support Chief of Investigations by way of mentoring. In addition, support will be given to the creation & mentoring of investigation unit administrators. The consultant will also conduct planning, development, establishment and mentoring of SIU based within both the federal & state investigation systems. The consultant will be responsible for the coordination of the programs’ day to day activities in support of the overall strategic plan. The role will be based in Garowe, Puntland but may require travel to other FMS.
Specific deliverables to be performed by the consultant:
Within assigned authority, the consultant, in consultation with the Crime Prevention & Criminal Justice Program Manager & overall supervision of the Program Management Officer, will be responsible for the following duties, working as part of the central mentorship team:
- Develop a workplan in coordination with the SPF & our client for the continued delivery of the IMAT program.
- Develop a workplan in coordination with the SPF & our client training team for the implementation of ICDP across all FMS & at federal level.
- Develop proposals & plans, for the establishment of SIU’s to cover a range of major & federal crimes.
- Provide mentorship to the Director CID, Chief of Investigations & Investigation Administrators at both federal & state level.
- Oversee delivery & continued development of online training for investigators & management for federal & SIU’s.
- Facilitate training & program logistics, to include leahy vetting, scheduling, venue rental, printing & translation of material.
- Prepare & ensure timely delivery of course reports, ensure M&E requirements are recorded & reported in a timely manner to the PM & Lead Mentor.
- Continue to conduct capacity building assessments & training needs of the FMS.
- Provide expert advice on effective implementation of training & program strategies to the SPF & our client.
- As part of the central mentorship team, liaise with team members to facilitate program logistics, such as workshops, seminars, training courses & meetings, to include guiding the development of management tools & resources, identifying participants for training, preparation of documents & presentations.
- Undertake support & management functions for Program Mentors & Liaison Officers engaged with IDP & FMS mentorship duties.
- Assist with the development & implementation of training where required & in consultation with the training team.
- Perform other duties as required.
Expected tangible & measurable output(s) / deliverable(s):
- Workplans on overall assignment developed, in consultation with our client, SPF & respective counterparts, where necessary & presented to our client for approval.
- Update the workplans on a regular basis, in consultation with our client & submit to them.Provide ongoing strategic & operational advice to staff of the SIU’s:
Ongoing in country mentoring & advice to CID’s at federal level & CIU’s at state level on prevention, suppression & investigation of major & specialist crimes.
- Proposals & plans developed, presented & support provided to our client & respective stakeholders, for the establishment of specialized units in the FMS of Somalia.
- Proposals & plans developed, presented & support provided to our client & respective stakeholders, for the establishment of FIU’s in the FMS of Somalia.
- Meeting reports with national counterparts & other relevant stakeholders submitted to our client.
- Contribute to the weekly progress report on mentoring & advice presented to to our client.
Provide ongoing strategic & operational advice to Director CID, Chief of Investigations & Investigation Administrators:
- Ongoing in country mentoring & advice on prevention, suppression & investigation of serious & specialist crimes.
- Proposals & plans developed & presented & support provided to our client & respective stakeholders, for the procedures & policies required for effective running of CID & units.
- Contribute to the ongoing development & delivery of the IMAT.
- Develop the administration & management policies & procedures required for the effective running of CID / units & oversee by way of mentorship the standard of performance by managers & administrators.
- Meeting reports with national counterparts & other relevant stakeholders submitted to our client.
- Contribute to the weekly progress report presented to our client.
Undertake support & management functions for Mentors & Liaison Officers engaged on the CIP:
- In support of the Lead Mentor, monitor mentor & Liaison Officer performance.
- Assist with the development & maintenance of team management records.
Indicators to evaluate the contractor’s performance:
All the outputs should be submitted in English & meet the satisfaction of our client according to the following indicators:
- Quality of the reports produced.
- Quality of training curricula produced.
- Technical competence.
- Timeliness of the delivery.
The evaluation of the consultant’s performance (the quality of the reports & products, the technical competence shown & the timeliness of the reports) will be determined by the Regional Representative from our clients end, Regional Office for Eastern Africa (ROEA) in Kenya, in close coordination and consultation with our clients HQ. If the consultant does not meet the requirements, s / he will be provided with an opportunity to redraft in terms of the guidance provided by the Assessors. If after redrafting the requirements are not met, our client reserve the right to non payment & / or suspension of the consultancy contract.
- This role works within assigned authority, in consultation with the Crime Prevention & Criminal Justice Program Manager & overall supervision of the Program Management Officer.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 14 year of experience in Africa (desirable).
Education / Experience:
- University Degree in Criminology, Law, Political Sciences, Sociology or related discipline or relevant work experience in a law enforcement force & / or security service.
- At least 14 years of relevant professional experience in investigating & / or prosecuting of trafficking in persons & smuggling of migrants’ cases.
- Proven experience in the development of training curricula & materials.
- Proven experience in providing technical advice & mentoring.
- Ability to interact with govt. agencies, good interpersonal skills & organizational proficiency.
- Excellent communication & drafting skills in English.
- Excellent analytical & evaluative skills.
- Previous experience working with criminal justice actors in Somalia.
- Has knowledge & specialisation in the fields of countering serious & transnational organised crime. Has experience in program or project management, ideally with an international organisation. Has knowledge & understanding of theories, concepts & sound practices relevant to law enforcement & law enforcement capacity building. Has knowledge of the mandates of UN. Has very good research, analytical & problem solving skills. Is able to identify & contribute to the solution of problems / issues. Has knowledge of various research methodologies & sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet & other databases. Is able to apply good judgement in the context of assignment given. Shows pride in work & in achievements, demonstrates professional competence & mastery of subject matter, is conscientious & efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines & achieving results, is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns, shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives & ensuring the equal participation of women & men in all areas of work.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals, solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas & expertise, is willing to learn from others, places team agenda before personal agenda, supports & acts in accordance with FGD, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position, shares credit for team accomplishments & accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, identifies priority activities & assignments, adjusts priorities as required, allocates appropriate amount of time & resources for completing work, foresees risks & allows for contingencies when planning, monitors & adjusts plans & actions as necessary, uses time efficiently.
- English & French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the position advertised fluency in English, i.e. oral & written proficiency with good drafting skills, is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Other relevant information:
Dates & details of deliverables / payments:
- The consultant will receive the payment upon satisfactory performance & progress. They will be required to submit a monthly report detailing their performance against deliverables & outputs for the consideration of the Program Management Officer.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website & apply for this role using the below link: