|MEAL Officer – (2100049S)
Closing Date : Jun 27, 2021
External Job Advert
Position: MEAL Officer – ECW Project
Location: Jigjiga with frequent travel to implementation sites
Under direct supervision of Education Project Manager, the Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer is responsible for supporting ECW implementation project in the area of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning activities in accordance to Save the Children MEAL system.
The MEAL officer is expected to provide all the necessary technical supports to establish a functional MEAL system by implementing the proposed ECW implementation project strategy and MEAL plan at regional, district and school level. S/he is responsible to provide training to concerned program staff on the use of M & E (MEAL) system; conduct rapid assessments and trend analysis of school and district-based project to monitor project activity and produce reports to field office team. The position holder is responsible for data management (data collation, entry, analysis, interpretation and reporting), developing different reporting formats and checklists, updating and maintaining databases and proper project documentation for accountability and learning. Responsible for making sure that appropriate Compliance Response Mechanism (CRM) put in place, complaints are welcomed and handled as per the procedure in place. The jobholder will be responsible for documentation and sharing of key learning for the improvement of the ECW project.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support ECW project team in the management and implementation of field-level M&E data collection activities
- With the guidance of Education Project Manager undertake responsibilities for the development and implementation of project MEAL system and functions as per the Humanitarian Response MEAL guideline.
- Participate in the development of Quality Benchmarks, undertake periodical monitoring of quality (benchmarks) and ensure they are part of quality monitoring practices including joint monitoring, review meetings, post distribution monitoring etc.
- Design and ensure implementation of standardized monitoring tools and methodologies as required by the donor and SCI standards (output tracker, action plan tracker, monitoring QBs etc)
- Closely monitoring the out-of-school children, enrolment, retention and dropout
- Ensure that regular monitoring/MEAL reports are received and communicated effectively to the project management
- Participate in the development and manage project database systems
- Support staff in the collection of output level monitoring data during activity implementation
- Carry out data collection where it is an M&E responsibility in M&E plans
- Ensure that M&E systems are being implemented at the field level and communicate any issues or inefficiencies that raise to the project Manager and MEAL units in a timely and proactive manner
- Support training for external enumerators or partner staffs that conduct baseline, midterm and end line surveys (including ethics and safety, sampling and respondent selection, device use, as well as survey consents)
- Field Manage external enumerators or partner staff in conducting baseline, midterm, and end line surveys
- Support programme staff in accessing and utilizing monitoring data
- Develop or use standard monitoring tools
- Facilitate and support joint monitoring with stakeholders
Digital Data Gathering
- Timely conducting regular data collection and semiannual assessment for online donor monitoring system.
Data Quality Assurance
- Define the project’s data quality standards and identifying and resolving data quality issues proactively as well as reactively;
- Monitor the quality of the data (completeness, integrity, reliability, timeliness, etc.) coming from schools/field based project officers, analyze and visualize the data applying different data analysis and data visualization applications;
- Support project staff to collect good quality monitoring data in a timely manner and collect / organize data received for reporting to the field office and country office.
- Ensure the accountability that is communities and children know their rights and entitlements, have access to project information and participate in decisions that affect them.
- Ensure communities and children have access to safe and responsive mechanisms to handle their complaints and feedbacks.
- Make sure that appropriate CRM mechanisms are put in place and complaints are handled as per SCI accountability standard and guideline
- Promote beneficiary participation at all points of programming, especially during needs assessments, post distribution monitoring and design of accountability systems and activities.
- Provide technical guidance and support to programme staff, including training and orientation on accountability mechanism
- Ensure that beneficiary feedback and complaints response mechanism is operational, available and understood by project staffs and beneficiaries in all ECW implementation sites.
- Organize standard after action review including learning and reflection events, stakeholder consultation and proved feedback to program management team.
- Document lessons learnt and best practice on accountability for the programme across sites and produce case studies and human interest stories as relevant.
Learning and Knowledge Management
- In close collaboration with program team facilitate in generating, storing and sharing knowledge (most significant change story, research/evaluation summary reports, etc).
- Ensure utilization of learning and knowledge generated (including MEAL evidences) in decision making and programme improvement (maintain up to date project action tracker and monitor the utilization and application).
- Support programmes in the identification of learning objectives and evidence gaps.
- Support progress Review and Results. Based review of the projects
- Carryout documentation and sharing of project impact and learnings
- Actively promote sharing of learning from baseline, end lines, reviews and evaluations internally and externally
Technical Support and Capacity Building
- Undertake continuous staff capacity assessment and develop capacity building plans and provide trainings and capacity building for project staff on MEAL as required
- Ensure project staffs are using up-to-date MEAL system and when require work with the team strengthen the MEAL system through close support and collaboration with program mangers/coordinators and other program staff
Perform any other activities assigned by your line manager.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary capacity to improve performance and applying appropriate measures when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for himself/herself (and their team).
- Takes responsibility for his/her own personal actions and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares his/her personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, his/her team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum BED,BA/B.Sc Degree in relevant field in Statistics, education, economics, measurement, development studies and other related fields
- At least 3-5 years of working experience on M & E position with NGOs especially in development and emergency education projects
- Experience in humanitarian programming, development programming and refugee context is an advantage
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation. Education related experience is an added advantage.
- Clear understanding and experience in directly implementing primary quantitative data collection (surveys, etc.)
- Willingness to live and travel in a hardship area.
- Team working and ability to work under pressure.
- Computer skills (Microsoft word and excel).
- Good communication skills – in English, Amharic and local language.
- Good organisation and attention to detail
- Strong report writing skills
Experience in child friendly accountability systems. We offer a competitive package in the context of the role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs