Education Development Center (EDC)
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Manager – Mogadishu, Somalia
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Manager – Somalia – Accelerated Basic Education Activity
- Mogadishu, Somalia
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The purpose of the USAID/Somalia Accelerated Education Activity is to increase access to quality accelerated basic education and non-formal education for out-of-school children and youth in southern Somalia. This Activity will improve learning outcomes for children and youth, strengthen community involvement in and ownership of education, and strengthen local and federal government capacity to oversee the delivery of quality education to marginalized Somali children and youth.
The Somalia Accelerated Education Activity will have the following intermediate results:
- Increased equitable access to safe, free, relevant, quality Accelerated Basic Education and Non-Formal Education programs.
- Improved learning outcomes in foundational skills areas (literacy, numeracy and social emotional learning) and other key skills as appropriate.
- Increased community engagement and local ownership of Accelerated Basic Education (ABE) and Non-Formal Education (NFE) programming.
- Strengthened capacity of government at local and national levels to oversee the provision of quality public education.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Manager is responsible for overall leadership, coordination, and technical supervision of monitoring, evaluation and learning for the activity, including design and management of the project’s monitoring and evaluation plan and system based on agreed upon quality and standards. The MEL Manager will liaise with project partners at all levels. This person will oversee rigorous data collection, data quality, data management, analysis, and evidence generation. The MEL Manager is expected to inform program adaptation under the CLA approach and may take on additional coordination roles.
The MEL Manager will work closely with other technical and M&E team members to ensure that data collection and data storage meets data quality standards, liaising with the EDC Home Office M&E Advisor on all data quality, analysis, and reporting issues, as needed. The MEL Manager will support coordination and collaboration among project implementing partners and project stakeholders for informed decisions.
The MEL Manager will also work closely with the technical team and project partners to support project research and learning activities related to youth workforce development throughout the project life cycle. The MEL Manager will report to the Chief of Party.
Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
- Take the lead in organizing and conducting all monitoring and evaluation activities, as well as learning activities to ensure compliance to common or core standards. Ensure that internal reflection and discussion of findings with field staff, technical specialists, and management happens on a regular basis, at a minimum quarterly;
- Work with US-based M&E team to continue to develop and implement the Activity’s Strategic M&E Framework, M&E Plan, and capacity development approach;
- Oversee the development of all monitoring forms for data collection, as well as written procedures for data collection and entry, with appropriate input from other departments;
- Supervise the data storage process to ensure that appropriate support documentation is on file and easily located to back up project indicator data;
- Manage the M&E team, including coordinating roles, responsibilities, and performance. Liaise with technical leadership staff to oversee and support M&E activities at state levels;
- Conceptualize operations research and other learning activities of the project in collaboration with home office staff, COP, Technical Advisors, and other project leadership;
- Manage technical orientation and training activities to achieve M&E objectives and plans, including in data collection, data processing, data analysis and other areas;
- Support outreach and communications by providing summary data and interpretation for inclusion in publications and reports, tailoring for consumption by different audiences;
- Coordinate and facilitate regular M&E discussions for or among USAID, stakeholders, partners, EDC teams and others to share findings and learning from monitoring and evaluation data and/or analyses;
- Oversee the aggregation and compilation of M&E data (quantitative and qualitative) for monthly, quarterly and annual reports. Oversee and ensure timely completion of all USAID data reporting;
- Understand the terms of the USAID award, specifically expected project results and products, and ensure compliance with requirements;
- Participate in relevant technical or senior leadership meetings and take part in the decision-making process as needed;
- Proactively anticipate any potential or actual problems or risks, discuss with management, and submit appropriate recommendations to eliminate or minimize the threats or risks;
- Provide timely data reports for inclusion in quarterly and annual reports, as well for other deliverables and deadlines as needed, such as meetings, events and presentations;
- Supervise staff effectively; monitor and evaluate performance, and submit performance reports for supervisees, in a timely manner; and provide timely interventions to improve performance if needed;
- Provide support to other special initiatives as may be needed;
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential documents and issues, and with co-workers and EDC partners;
- Other duties, as assigned.
The candidate for the position of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Manager shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
Skills and Experience:
- Seven years of progressively responsible experience with M&E systems design and implementation, data collection, and report writing;
- Practical, capacity development experience in the education and youth sectors desired;
- Experience monitoring and evaluating youth workforce development sector programs desired;
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data analysis methods and tools, such as SPSS, QDA Miner, etc. preferred;
- Expertise in data visualization preferred;
- Working knowledge of USAID reporting requirements;
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment; and
- Experience working in Somalia
- Experience working with USAID and familiarity with Agency processes and procedures.
- Experience managing large-scale national or regional programs in crisis and conflict contexts.
- Technical expertise in relevant areas including: Foundational learning in literacy, numeracy and SEL, youth development, gender, accelerated or non-formal education.
Fluency in English required. Demonstrated ability to communicate in Somali, preferred
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.