National Operations Officer (S/NFI) – Mogadishu, Somalia
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: National Operations Officer (S/NFI)
Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/014/2023
Duty Station: IOM Somalia Support Office in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Classification: National Officer Category, Grade NO-A
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 15 May, 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is one of the major humanitarians and development actors in Somalia. IOM Shelter and Non-Food Items (S/NFI) unit maintains the common supply pipeline for cluster partners.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Program Coordinator (EPC) and direct supervision of Operations Officer S/NFI (Pipeline), the National Operations Officer (S/NFI) will be responsible for close coordination and monitoring of the pipeline partners activities and timely delivery of shelter and NFIs Pipeline activities in close coordination with the field teams and in close collaboration with other units including procurement, logistics, finance, and security.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, lead the coordination and implementation of IOM’s Common Pipeline programs including : review partners applications and assessment reports, manage the procurement, transportation and release of pipeline items, monitor distribution activites as needed.
2. Serve as contact person/link between supervisor and project teams regarding project implementation/monitoring issues and information; on behalf of supervisor, keep others informed by conveying updated decisions, latest reports, and other relevant information; bring sensitive and urgent matters to the attention of the supervisor.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
3. In collaboration with the project manager, plan, mainstream, implement, and monitor and evaluate project activities in accordance with the work plans and courses of action established in the project documents.
4. In coordination with the S/NFI Pipeline Operations Officer, plan, implement and monitor activities and coordinate with the pipeline partners the transfers of relief goods; monitor stock utilization in hubs and coordinate SNFI/relief item replenishments as needed.
5. Process the requests of SNFI pipeline partners including preparation of the contracts/agreements, verification of the requests in coordination with the SNFI cluster and review the distribution reports.
6. Document pipeline requests and maintain supportive documents for the projects (partner contractual documents, assessment, waybills, distribution records, payment requests etc.).
7. Regularly monitor the stocks and coordinate with Logistic, Warehouse and Security unit for the improvement of IOM warehouse condition and management to mitigate risks of supply loss.
8. Plan and conduct the post distribution monitoring exercises for implementing agencies and produce the report. Request and review post distribution reports from the receiving agencies and analyses the reports, also ensure that the register of distribution is updated to the actual figures of utilization of items, especially in terms of beneficiary numbers reached.
9. Ensure the online dashboard is updated with current stock status, released item counts, and all other required details in the common pipeline tracking system.
10. Keep abreast of operational delays and deviations in relation to work plans and in collaboration with the S/NFI Pipeline Operations Officer, problem solve to insure timely delivery of project activities within the agreed required timeframe and project timeline.
11. In coordination with the S/NFI Pipeline Operations Officer and in close collaboration with the logistics and procurement unit, initiate the procurement process for project deliverables and facilitate timely supply of commodities/services for field operations. 12. Monitor the day-to-day implementation of Common Pipeline activities, including the undertaking of regular field visits to check compliance with the framework agreement, project documents, and IOM rules, regulations, policies, and guidelines.
13. Draft progress and other required reports. Identify and document significant project events, decisions, problems, or deviations, and ensure that project data and information is archived and shared appropriately.
14. In collaboration with the Shelter NFI Cluster, design and implement capacity building activities on assessment, distribution, monitoring, and reporting for various implementing agencies for smooth implementation of the program.
15. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
• Master’s degree, preferably in logistics, Business Administration, International Relations, social sciences, conflict management or a related field from an accredited academic institution; Or
• Bachelor’s degree in the above field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in humanitarian response in emergency and conflict environments.
• Previous working experience within the context of Somalia is essential.
• Experience in planning and execution of shipment of items and movements within Somalia is an advantage.
• Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
• Knowledge of cluster system.
• Knowledge of financial and procurement rules and regulations.
• Ability to work with limited supervision.
• Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations.
• Fluency in English and Somali both written and spoken are required. Working knowledge of Arabic will be an added advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural indicators – Level 2
• Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
• Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
• Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
• Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this special vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
If you are interested, please submit your CV and Cover Letter via email with the subject of position title and SVN number to email@example.com before the closing date.
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
From 09.05.2023 to 15.05.2023
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org