Program Officer – Garowe, Puntland, Somalia
Position Title: Program Officer
|Duty Station: Garowe|
|Position Category: Full-time|
Mercy corps Somalia together with Care Somalia and DBG is in consortium to implement an education in emergency (EIE) project called Education in Emergency Support to Disaster Affected Children In Somalia (EESDAC) project funded by European union for humanitarian aid (ECHO). The project provides basic education in Emergencies service for boys and girls who are out of school or are at risk of dropping out of school in 16 districts of Sool, Sanaag, Bari, Nugaal, Mudug, Galgadud and Banadir regions.
It also introduces innovative ways of working, particularly in the conflict-affected areas, to address the challenges identified in the needs assessment section including gaps related to safe learning space, insufficient teachers and limited oversight by the local authorities. Proposed interventions will include provision of (a) construction of temporary learning spaces and rehabilitation of existing school facilities (b) Provision of teaching/learning materials (c) teacher training (d) psychosocial support and child protection (e) School security and safety interventions and (f) WASH in schools. The three consortium members will help to increase access, particularly in the hard-to-reach areas. The capacity of the Department of Education and local communities will be enhanced to reduce long term dependency on international assistance. As much as possible, the action will foster innovations in handling education barriers. Closer links will be established between the needs assessment, monitoring and evaluation of the project that will allow a better response. Learning from the response will be captured and shared with Ministry of Education, Somalia Education Cluster and disseminated through publications and other media in consultation with ECHO
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Program Officer is overall responsible for the day today implementation of the planned activity components in the assigned project activities in Galkayo and Garowe districts of Mudug and Nugal regions of Somalia respectively. The Program Officer will work closely both with management and support staff (including finance, administration and program) in Mogadishu Office and other Mercy Corps field offices to ensure the day to day activities are implemented according to schedule, budget, consistency and required quality. The Program Officer will have to coordinate closely with the Ministry of Education, Community Education Committees and local authorities to achieve the program goals and ensure that all activities to be implemented on demand-driven; and communities mobilized in a participatory way. He/she will have to show full adherence to Mercy Corps procedures, policy and security protocol.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Under the direction and guidance of the PM and in liaison with other program staff, the Program officer will be responsible to perform the following job functions: –
- Program Planning and Implementation
- Prepare plans for capacity building and training of Community Education Committees [CECs], teachers, head teachers, and local authorities on PSS, GBV, Child protection and School safety
- Work with the M&E officers to develop and improve effective monitoring plans and tools
- Work collaboratively with other program staff to design criteria for selection of program beneficiaries
- Ensure that ESVC Project activities are implemented in accordance with the approved work plans and with the involvement of partners and concerned stakeholders at all levels
- In collaboration with the PM, implement programs and activities to improve teaching and learning in target schools e.g. teacher training on pedagogy and supervision, working with schools to prioritize and acquire essential teaching and learning materials etc.
- Together with school communities and MoE staff, implement strategies to improve enrollment, retention and completion, especially for girls, in target schools
- Ensure that MC and its partners implement project activities in a most efficient, effective and sustainable manner
- Together with the PM and other program staff, implement programs to improve the role of the Ministry of Education in the supervision and monitoring of the project activities
- Ensure effective and efficient distribution of any material procured under the ESVC proejct to target beneficiaries and maintain appropriate documentation for the same
- Coordination and Collaboration
- Represent the Mercy Corps in zonal inter-agency educational coordination meetings when the PM is not available;
- Establish good working relationship with respective regional/district level MoE offices, respective community education committees [CECs] and target communities;
- Liaise with zonal teacher training institutes for future engagement to train teachers in a more sustainable manner;
- Collaborate with ESVC partners on program implementation and ensure that they fully take part in joint planning, managing and monitoring of project activities.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Prepare program-monitoring tools to track activities and monitor achievement of objectives and impact of the program
- Ensure that field based monitoring data and information is collected and collated on weekly basis and made available to PM and M&E staff for reporting and monitoring purposes;
- Assist the PM in the preparation of periodic progress reports on a timely basis for Mercy Corps, donors, government ministries and other stakeholders;
- Ensure that good practices and lessons are documented and shared with M&E and finally with the PM for wider circulation;
- Travel to all ESVC field project sites to conduct regular monitoring of projects quality together with MoE and other project teams.
- Team building
- Create an atmosphere where team work is nurtured, appreciated and enhanced in order to increase individual performance expectations and room for feedback
- Program Support Operations
- Coordinate with program support departments to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activities including logistics (transport, warehousing and asset management), procurement, security, administration and human resources;
- Coordinate with other Mercy Corps’ programs to ensure smooth and efficient implementation of the Education program.
- Ensured that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security management priorities
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: NONE
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: PROGRAM MANAGER
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH:
Other project staff, finance officers, logistics officers, human resources and administration officers.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor Degree, preferably in education, social work, business, or any related field.
- Previous relevant experience (4 years) with Children/Youth education/Youth project (planning, implementing/overseeing the implementation and reporting for education/livelihoods activities/projects) – formal/non-formal education projects (academic, life-skills and recreational activities for Children, vocational and life skills trainings, entrepreneurship, business set-up and employment for Youth).
- Teaching experience in schools or in delivering trainings and/or mentoring/ coaching teachers/facilitators/trainers (public or private schools, community centers or institutes, etc.).
- Experience in dealing with public stakeholders within the Education system (e.g. school principals, Ministry/Directorate of Education representatives, communities).
- Experience in contributing to the designing/ revision/ contextualization of learning/ recreational/ PSS materials / projects for children or youth.
- Knowledge in pedagogy, child/youth development and evaluation of learning.
- Previous experience from working in a humanitarian/recovery context, preferably as a project officer assistant of officer.
- Previous experience from working in a complex and volatile context.
- Fluent in Somali & English languages (written and verbal).
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Commitment to local capacity building and the ability to engage local stakeholders in project design and implementation.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and keeps to deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Somali people’s culture and political set up.
- Strong team player and effective communicator.
- Willing to interact effectively with international and national personnel and other partners
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for this position and submit their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) through https://www.mercycorps.org/careers/national only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline for Applications: Oct 17, 2021.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs