Project Coordinator – Garowe, Puntland, Somalia
|INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL|
|SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC INCLUSION PROJECT IN PUNTLAND (SEIPP)|
|Salary band:||4||Project Coordinator|
|Reports to:||Project Manager|
The Social and Economic Inclusion Project in Puntland, Somalia, with its focus on the economic and social integration of extremely poor Somali returnees, internally displaced persons (IDPs), and residents of host communities, builds on the graduation approach as its methodological framework. This is a sequential package of measures, consisting of social protection and the promotion of sustainable livelihoods for extremely poor households. To this end, the individual steps of the graduation approach include temporary consumer goods support, basic financial education, vocational training, seed capital, social network building and continuous coaching/mentoring of extremely poor households. To enable the Ministry of the Interior, Federal Affairs and Democratization to fulfill its mandate for the economic and social integration of IDPs, its technical capacity will be strengthened.
The project objective is: The personal, socio-economic resilience of extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities is improved.
The central component of the graduation approach is the improved coverage of basic needs of extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities (Output 1). The focus is on basic security in the form of time-limited monthly unconditional cash transfers to selected households. The improvement of individual skills and empowerment required for this are part of Output 2, which aims at strengthening basic individual skills of extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities for socio-economic integration. The objective of Output 3 is strengthening individual capacities of extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities, to enable them to generate their own income. Output 4 serves to strengthen the capacities of the “Department of Social Affairs” in the area of economic and social integration of extremely poor IDPs and residents of host communities. The measures of the four outputs reinforce each other complementarily in their effects and contribute in their entirety to
- comprehensive strengthening of personal and socio-economic resilience. SEIPP is seeking to recruit a Project Coordinator as per the details below:
The Project Coordinator has the following responsibilities:
- Coordinates the GIZ SEIPP field activities in Garowe, Puntland, Somalia ensuring a timely and high-quality delivery of activities and progress towards intended results.
- Supports the implementation, planning, monitoring, and reporting of project activities in Garowe, Puntland.
- Ensures effective relations are maintained with local authorities, implementing partners and target communities in North Eastern Somalia.
- Coordinates with other relevant GIZ projects as well as other organisations working in Garowe.
Core scope of tasks
The Project Coordinator fulfils the following tasks:
Coordination and Management
- Coordinates the activities of the project, ensuring a timely and high-quality delivery of activities and progress towards intended results.
- Ensures the integration of community development and cross-cutting issues into the project activities, develops and keeps the project’s work plan updated.
- Advises the project management and project staff on their daily activities, oversees the coordination and supervises the implementation of project activities.
- Prioritises relevant project activities at the local level in cooperation with target beneficiaries and communities, as well as in organizational preparation and in the implementation of these activities.
- Takes the lead in the formulation of project action plans and facilitates synchronisation between the planning and the budgeting system.
- Oversees the preparation, execution and documentation of beneficiary training, workshops, forums, meetings, and other project activities.
- Ensures transparency and equal treatment of all beneficiaries irrespective of their social background.
- Ensures gender sensitivity and inclusion of persons with disability.
Implementation and Monitoring
- Assists in the planning and budgeting of activities.
- Supports and supervises the implementation of capacity building activities.
- Ensures a timely and high-quality completion of activities planned as part of the projects work plan and strategy.
- Coordinates, monitors and evaluates the project activities according to M&E plans; supports surveys, assessments and other field studies.
- Ensures a timely completion and submission of monthly field reports on all aspects of the implementation and progress according to available reporting templates and monitors and supports the performance of activities in the field as per project operational plans and indicators.
- Ensures a functional beneficiary feedback mechanism and an up-to-date project beneficiary database.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
- Works closely with the Head of Project in all areas of project management for activities within Garowe and also networking with partners on the ground.
- Developing terms of reference for consultancy missions as well as orientation notes/expression of interest for implementing partners and providing support during the execution by monitoring and reviewing consultants’ work and enhancing knowledge management of the project’s outputs.
- Supporting interventions aimed at capacity building of government partners to ensure their ability to effectively perform as an equal partner during implementation and monitoring of activities
- Proposal management in various organisational and management issues, including recruitment, selection of implementing partners at field level.
- Carries out other project activities and any other tasks as assigned by the Head of Project.
- Undertakes further job training related to his/her position and duties, if required. Specific training needs shall be identified, and appropriate programmes selected jointly with the Project Management.
- Bachelor/master’s in social sciences, Development Studies, Business Administration, International Relationships or related field
Professional experience and competences
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in a similar position.
- Experience of implementing community driven projects with national or international organisations in Somalia,
- Experience with refugees, internally displaced persons and vulnerable populations.
- Experience in application of the graduation approach, which is a sequential package of measures consisting of social protection and the promotion of sustainable livelihoods for extremely poor households is an asset.
Further Knowledge, Additional Competences
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate in Somali (both spoken and written) and fluency in written/spoken English. Knowledge on GIZ regulations would be an asset.
- Willingness to be permanently based in Garowe with occasional travel to Nairobi/Kenya.
- Duration of the contract:
- Start date is 01.06.2021 to 31.05.2023, with the possibility of extension,
- GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications of women and persons with disability
- Vacancy reference Number SEIPP/01/04/2021
Applications should be done through email to: email@example.com
All applications MUST bear the above reference number in the subject of the email.
Deadline: By Thursday 29th April 2020 16:00 HRS
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org