Project Officer – Resilience – Borama
Closing date: 25 Oct 2023
Concern Worldwide is an international non-governmental humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the following position:
Job Title: Project Officer- Resilience
Reports To: Programme Manager- Resilience
Direct Reports: NA
Liaise with: Somaliland Programme & Coordination Manager, MEAL Manager, Operations/Logistics and Finance
Job Location: Borama
Contract Details: 1 year renewable dependent on funding
Job Purpose: The Project Officer- is responsible for the successful implementation of resilience project; trainings and data collection, and providing information on programme activities to contribute to monitoring and evaluation and document the practice and impact and undertake substantial fieldwork. This will include both support to partners and direct implementation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate and assist the Resilience Programme Manager in the design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluating of Resilience activities with a focus on value chain activities.
- Contribute inputs to proposals for Resilience activities, including the technical descriptions and the budgets associated with them
- Participate in gathering and compilation of project information (reports, assessments, baseline, monitoring and evaluation)
- Contribute to periodic reports on the status and progress of Resilience activities using standard reporting formats as may be required;
- Liaise with technical staff of the line Ministries in the implementation of activities;
- Build strong relationships with community leaders, local authorities and beneficiaries and mobilize target community to fully participate in all aspects of the project
- Take part in data collection using the Digital Data Gathering (DDG) system and other tools as may be requested;
- Establish, train and mentor community groups such as Self Help Group, Income Generating groups, value chain actors including private sectors.
- Facilitate mainstreaming of crosscutting issues such as gender and accountability into the Resilience activities;
- Participate in cross-sectoral periodic project reviews to assess project progress, capture lessons learnt and adapt programme strategies as necessary in accordance with Concern’s results-based management principles.
- Participate in emergency assessments and implementation of rapid responses in consultation with line management.
- Facilitate the participant selection and establishment of new value chain groups through meetings and consultation with Village development committee; ensuring that participants are selected in an inclusive manner and that vulnerability criteria are met
- Work together with other team members to ensure that the various aspects of the Resilience programme responses are integrated, and that they form part of a coherent approach across all the sectors
Support to Partner Organisations
- Train and mentor Concern and partner staff in Resilience technical areas and programme implementation
- Follow up and track the implementation of national NGO partner’s activities and provide field support to their staff, Community Based Extension Workers and volunteers;
- Hold frequent meetings with national NGO partner staff to ensure that the technical standards are followed in the implementation of Resilience activities;
- Visit the national NGO partner’s project locations, track the progress of the activities, flag challenges and provide solutions for moving forward to reach the objectives;
- Support partner teams in preparation of quality programme reports related to their activities
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Carry out frequent field monitoring visits and lead in the review of the field level project activities.
- In liaison with MEAL team, participate in evaluation of Resilience and Livelihoods activities.
- Deliver Resilience activities in line with Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) through: 1) Ensuring meaningful community participation throughout the programme cycle; 2) systematically sharing programme information with target communities /key stakeholders; and 3) Under the guidance of MEAL Manager participate in the implementation of Complaints Response Mechanism (CRM)
Reporting and Donor Compliance
- Through Programme Manager contribute to monthly reports which include updates on key activities/achievements using quantitative data as well as qualitative information (such as photos, case studies, quotes from beneficiaries)
- Prepare and share timely Resilience programme data as required.
Representation and Coordination:
- Serve as a liaison between Concern and Community Members
- Adhere fully to the commitments and rules of Concern’s P4 and CoC, including respect of confidentiality and duty to report violations.
- Ensure that community members and partners are fully aware of and understand Concern’s Code of Conduct and associated policies as well as project eligibility criteria, and that they know how to provide feedback through the CRM
- Commitment and desire to work closely with people in the rural community.
- Respect for community and their ideas, and a strong belief in their ability to act for change.
- Willingness to stay, work and live in areas with minimal facilities and to endure physically hardship arising from poor infrastructure or adverse weather conditions.
- Undertake any other relevant duties as may be assigned by line manager or designate
Concern is committed to responding to emergencies efficiently and effectively in order to help affected people meet their basic needs, alleviate suffering and maintain their dignity. To this end, when emergencies strike Somaliland Programme is to respond, all staff are required to actively participate in the response, regardless of location and contribute to the efforts aimed at achieving the humanitarian objective of the organisation.
- Degree in a relevant discipline: agricultural sciences, veterinary science, rural development, climate and environment or a relevant social science discipline.
Experience and skills required
- At least Four years of practical working experience related to Income Generation Activities, micro-finance with strong skills related to community development, experience in livelihood activities.
- Proven experience in planning, implementing, and monitoring livelihoods programmes.
- Understanding of value chain approaches and market systems
- Willingness to work and spend time as required by the project in the field.
- Excellent report writing skills and facilitation skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali.
- Ability to work in community based projects.
- Good computer skills in word, Excel, outlook and power point presentation.
- Flexibility to work extensively within Concern’s operational area.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to resolve individual and group conflicts
- Demonstrated Capacity Building and community mobilization skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity.
How to apply
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time.
How to Apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should submit their applications (cover letter and updated CVs) by email to email@example.com with the subject line “Project Officer-Resilience” by Tuesday 24th October 2023.
ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test and interview.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Concern Code of Conduct and its Associated Policies
Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organization, and the standards of behavior expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organization to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies. Additionally, Concern is committed to the safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults and children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work or volunteer with vulnerable adults and children are recruited by us for such roles. Subsequently, working or volunteering with Concern is subject to a range of vetting checks, including criminal background checking.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org