Lutheran World Federation Service
Projects Coordinator – Kismayo, Lower Juba, Somalia
Position Title: Projects Coordinator
Closing date for applications 9 June 2021
Duration of contract: 1 year
Location: Kismayu – Somalia
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation. We are a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world.
A commitment to the human rights of every individual, regardless of their status, guides our work, actions, and operations. We are particularly known for our timely, compassionate, and professional humanitarian work, and for our field presence in hard-to-reach areas. Our work is people-centered and community- based. Above all, we work with the most vulnerable, and in order to claim and uphold their rights, we engage proactively with local government and community structures.
Our partners in Kenya – Somalia Program include: Lutheran Churches and their related agencies, The European Commission (ECHO), the US Government (BPRM), WFP, UNICEF and UNHCR with whom we are key implementing partners.
Lutheran World Federation World Service Kenya Program is seeking to recruit for the following position to be based in Kismayu, Somalia.
Position: Projects Coordinator
The purpose of this position is to coordinate the collective achievement of LWF World Service’s program in Kismayu, specifically focusing on the Area Program’s key objectives, results and approaches. Working closely with relevant Government and other partners in Kismayu, the position will ensure strategic development and alignment of the program to the key Government and humanitarian plans in Kismayu as well as ensuring realisation of LWF Somalia directions and related thematic guidance notes.
The incumbent will report directly to Program Manager or his/her designate.
Duties and responsibilities
In consultation with Program; Finance; and Procurement & Logistics Units in Nairobi;
- Lead fundraising initiatives including proposal development, contribute thematically and context relevant way in round table donor meetings
- Work with Finance officer to undertake budget tracking
- Hold monthly budget and procurement review meetings with team members
- Enhance adherence to donor compliance on grant management, including quality planning, timely implementation, visibility and publicity, and reporting.
- Enforce LWF policies on procurement, finance management, administration and communications
- Advise on re-allocation of funds depending expenditure levels, considering donor guidance and timelines for project reviews.
As a member of the Area Program management team
- Provide technical project planning design and implementation of Quality Services in education and community services programming
- Lead in stakeholder and gender analysis and engagement
- Lead and represent LWF with the Jubaland Government and other stakeholders in Kismayu
- Support programmes that benefit the community in line with the vision, mission and values of the organization
- Take an active part in management meetings
- Share information on needs, gaps and trends in approaches to guide development and implementation of ongoing and upcoming projects
- Advise management on emerging issues on the ground and make recommendations for addressing them
- Advise the management on opportunities for program expansion
- Lead staff in implementation of government policies and alignment of project activities to LWF guidance notes and Federal Government of Somalia and Jubaland Government policies
- Provide technical support in the implementation of project activities
- Set key performance indicators and milestones for the sector in line with SPHERE, CHS and government policies, and LWF guidance notes, etc.
- Coordinate needs assessment in units within the Area Program and in coordination with other relevant actors on the ground
- Lead, participate in and contribute to internal and external training and conferences and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
- Support in training and building capacity of staff in the Area Program
- Coordinate needs assessment in units within Area program.
- Support staff in the implementation of project activities
- Hold monthly project review and planning meetings to assess project implementation progress against set targets
- Supervise and empower the team to develop appropriate tools and procedure to delivering quality services with the beneficiary groups in the individual, community and institutional levels.
- Coordinate compilation of reports for the program area and consolidate progress and final reports in line with donor templates and timelines and LWF deadlines.
- Establish and maintain constructive working relationships with other NGO’s, UN agencies, host government, bilateral and multilateral donors, where present and if necessary.
- Promote a conducive working environment that promotes mutual respect, diversity, tolerance that are requisite for team work
- Ensure that human resources implications for LWF World Service for both existing and anticipated response are fully assessed, identified, described and communicated.
- Monitor ongoing human resource issues and make recommendations and adjustments accordingly.
- Ensure together with the Human Resources Office in Nairobi that the systems used for HR are adapted to the emergency context to ensure a rapid response while maintaining levels of accountability in regards to recruitment. In liaison with the HR office in Nairobi, make sure staff wellbeing is addressed.
- Ensure compliance with all host country legal, contractual, labour and statutory requirements.
- Taking responsibility for personal learning and competence development.
- Exhibits the generic employee skills especially valued by the organization: Dependability and productivity, Communication, Problem solving, Teamwork, Safety and Security, Accountability and Integrity (please find definitions in the Performance Appraisal Template).
- Actively protect children in every aspect of work and personal life, by preventing harm and reporting child abuse.
- Knows the policies and uses the specified means to report fraud, corruption, harassment, abuse or any other acts of wrongdoing by staff.
Security and safety focal person
- Ensure all personnel understand individual and collective responsibilities for safety and security as per the LWF security and safety policy.
Academic and professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or any other relevant degree in Social Sciences.
- At least 3 year’s progressive experience in project management in the Humanitarian context of Somalia.
- Excellent understanding of project monitoring and evaluation.
- Good knowledge in relationship management with local and national governments as well as with local communities.
- Good team player – work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to communicate and maintain highly professionalism
- Strong administrative skills, Problem solving, conflict resolution skills & ability to maintain confidentiality
- Attention to detail
- Good reporting writing skills
- Able to work independently; self-motivated & Ability to work in a challenging environment.
- Ability to promote the values of equality, non-discrimination, and human rights for all
LWF/WS is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, race or religious affiliation. LWF/WS is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect the organization’s commitment to the prevention of abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs