MSF – SOMALILAND
QUALIFIED TRANSLATOR – Hargeisa, Somaliland
|JOB Vacancy Announcement
MSF – SOMALILAND
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. MSF observes neutrality and impartiality in the name of universal medical ethics and the right to humanitarian assistance and demands full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of its functions.
Since January 2019, MSF is supporting the National Tuberculosis Program in Somaliland and started to work in Hargeisa TB Hospital, specifically in the Drug Resistance Tuberculosis centre and supporting 3 Regional Hospitals in Tuberculosis.
The aim is to reduce the morbidity, mortality and burden of TB and more specifically MDR-TB with below objectives:
o To improve the quality of DR-TB diagnosis in MSF supported facilities (Hargeisa DR-TB hospital and Regional TB centres (Borama, Berbera and Burco)
o To improve Infection Prevention and Control in Hargeisa TB hospital and the Regional TB centres supported by MSF (Borama, Berbera and Burco)
o To improve MDR-TB patient care and treatment Outcomes of Hargeisa MDR-TB centre cohort
o To increase DR-TB case finding using different models to increase access to TB screening and diagnosis
For DR-TB project in Somaliland, MSF is looking for:
Workplace : Hargeisa
Type of contract : Fixed term Contract
Start date : 1st May 2021
Main purpose of the position
Performing professional translation activities and delegated duties depending on supervisor’s specialization and instructions and according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures, in order to ensure a proper representation and translation of MSF activities and core values.
Specifically, verbal interpretation, in person or remotely, during daily patient support education and counselling activities (medical round, pec consultations, PEC interviews, meetings, etc.) and written translations, from the mission language to local language(s) or vice versa, in order to ensure accurate, respectful, fluent and confidential communication between international staff and local population.
- Providing face to face interpreting for DRTB patients, during telephone calls or other telecom devices, when necessary.
- Performing administrative tasks required by PEC Manager (arrangement of counselling sessions, support group meetings, minute taking, and follow-up for patient care).
- Providing necessary feedback to PEC Manager following discussions and negotiations. Assisting with PEC activities such report writing.
- Informing PEC Manager and other expat staff about important cultural nuances to consider during a meeting, patient consultations or interview with local people.
- Participate in staff trainings and meetings as an interpreter.
- Adapt communication to any circumstances, using appropriate language registry as well as diplomatic and courtesy manners.
- Must be willing to travel to the Regional hospitals (Burco, Berbera, Borama) for field visits with the PEC Manager and MSF team.
- Translate MSF internal / external documents, IEC materials (flip charts) into local language(s).
- Keep record of all translated documents.
- Look after all equipment provided, i.e. dictionaries or other books that belong to MSF
- Ensure confidentiality and medical secrecy.
|Higher education (health degree would be an asset)
Professional training in translation.
|1-2 years in MSF, previous experience in supply chain activities related jobs will be added advantage.
Essential at least two years previous working experience. Desirable in MSF or other NGOs
Experience in written and oral translations and performing administrative tasks
|English and Somali essential.
|• Results and Quality Orientation L1• Teamwork and Cooperation L1
• Behavioural Flexibility L1
• MSF Principles L2
• Stress Management L2
This job description may be amended in line with the activities or evolution of the Mission.
Applications are to be sent online only on the email email@example.com
Deadline for submission of application: 22nd April 2021
Please be precise on the subject of the application “Qualified Translator” and your name.
Attach to your email:
- Cover letter in English
- Updated CV in English
- Copies of diploma(s) and work certificate(s) relevant for the position
- ID copy
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.