USAID Project Funded
Reporting and Communications Officer – Mogadishu, Somalia
SCOPE OF WORK
TITLE: Reporting and Communications Officer
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Long-Term
LOCATION: Mogadishu, Somalia
SUPERVISOR: Research and Communications Advisor
We are a project funded by USAID and implementing projects in Somalia.
The Reporting and Communications Officer (RCO) is responsible for supporting the Project DCOP in drafting different communications and reporting requirements, such as weekly reports, performance reports, success stories, and ad hoc activity and program updates as necessary. The RCO will organize and compile information from the different contributors, catalogue project photos from all programmatic portfolios, and support all external communications as requested. The RCO monitors multiple media outlets to keep the program appraised of relevant political and environmental updates. The RCO will also identify opportunities for USAID to amplify project activity accomplishments, including amplification of partner/ beneficiary communications. In some cases, the RCO may be asked to develop draft social media posts for USAID and activity partner communications. The RCO is expected to coordinate closely with the senior management, M&E, and program teams to ensure high-quality reporting. The incumbent is expected to travel to the field to gather information, working with both M&E and program teams to capture information on program objectives, achievements, learnings, and relevant contextual changes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Collect input from the programs and operations teams to draft performance reports, including quarterly, annual, and other progress reports.
- Identify topics for and draft success stories.
- Conduct outreach and program promotional tasks, including documentation and video/photo of program events as assigned.
- Develop and maintain a program timeline that captures key events, program highlights, and administrative milestones.
- Review and finalize reports and other deliverables provided by research partners, STTA consultants, and program staff, as needed.
- Travel to field sites as needed in support of developing communications products, including monitor/facilitate data collection, conduct key informant interviews and focus group discussions, and take photos/ videos as needed.
- Ensure high-quality reporting on program accomplishments and their political relevance.
- Monitor daily online media and other data sources, such as the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED), for developments relevant to the program, coverage of program activities, and to maintain awareness of relevant political and environmental updates.
- Serve on Technical Evaluation Committees (TEC) to assist in review, scoring, and award of research and communications proposals.
- Assist in managing administrative aspects of research and communications activities, including: entering relevant paperwork into the project activity database, drafting regular activity notes on the progress of implementation, creating and managing procurement processes in the DTGO database, and submitting relevant payment paperwork.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Education and certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required.
Key Position Competencies and Experience:
- Background in graphic design, social/ traditional media management, and/or reporting a plus.
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible work experience in reporting/communications, monitoring and evaluation, or a related field.
- Excellent time and people management, verbal and written communication, and organizational skills are essential.
- Extremely accurate attention to detail and exceptional standards of written English.
- Demonstrated copywriting, copy-editing, and proof-reading skills.
- Experience in managing and contributing to social media platforms, external communications, and public relations related issues preferred.
- Previous experience working on USAID projects or in international development preferred.
- Experience in database management preferred.
- Proficiency with software such as Microsoft Office Suite required; familiarity with data visualization platforms (PowerBi) and data collection platforms (KoBo Toolbox or others) preferred.
- Strong analytical skills and writing abilities.
- Strong understanding of local and national political context.
- Experience in a diverse and fast-paced work environment.
- Experience developing relationships both internally and externally.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Somali required.
Organization Core Competencies:
- Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust, and commitment.
- Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally Demonstrates effective use of skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
- Adaptability: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
- Customer/Client Focused: Anticipates, monitors, and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
- Professionalism: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity, and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
How to apply
Candidates meeting the above requirements are highly encouraged to send their Cover Letters and CVs with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2nd December 2023. The subject of the email should read ‘’ Reporting and Communications Officer Mogadishu Position’’.
NOTE: Attractive compensation will be offered to the successful candidate
Disclaimer: At no stage of the recruitment process will a candidate be asked for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview and assessment.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com