Resilience Advisor – Hargeisa, Somaliland
Closing date 18 May 2021
CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
Overview of position
Somaliland has been continually faced with a multitude challenges in achieving gradual development. Even though the country has progressed from humanitarian and emergency support for recovery to development interventions, there are many areas in the country which are currently in dire need of humanitarian support.
Recognizing this overlap of humanitarian and recovery support as well as the need to smoothly transition from one phase to another, development partners have agreed to work collectively to ensure better coordinated and more targeted approach in resilience building and reducing vulnerabilities of communities. It aims to harnesses synergies between humanitarian and development support. These include interventions targeting food security as well sustainable and resilient livelihoods; enhancing of capacities of local institutions and communities to recover, absorb and withstand economic shocks; strengthening local and national mechanisms for peacebuilding, reconciliation and social cohesion as well as restoring community trust.
This role aims to support the overall coordination of all resilience activities and to strengthen the capabilities to achieve improved outcomes in the face of shocks and stresses enabling them to contribute to economic growth of Somaliland. This is expected to be achieved through a combination of a set of results which will focus on a) creating a body of evidence for increased application of evidence-based policy making and application for resilience; b) establish regulator coordination with all stakeholder to allow for partners to come together around the resilience framework and principles to improve the absorptive, adaptive and transformative capacities of at-risk communities. We therefore aim to utilise the support from European Union in Somaliland for this important role to assist Government of Somaliland in implementing the National Development Plan and to inform its forward policy planning and programming.
This is aligned with the Government of Somaliland priorities to channel resource towards resilience building and recovery, this will intern strengthen communities’ resilience to withstand shocks. Somaliland has experienced first-hand the effects of climate change, it is a reality in Somaliland with recurrent droughts, floods and effects of cyclones hit part of the country in recent years.
- To be the focal person for resilience within MoNPD and participates in all coordination forums and advise the Minister on resilience, build capacity, focused on resilience
- Develop an action plan (AP), in consultation with key stakeholders in collaboration with the Coordination Department
- To support the implementation of the National Food security and Nutrition strategy
- Provide high quality technical support to the Minister on the operationalization of the resilience programmes. This includes support on food security, natural resource-basedlivelihoods and sustainable agriculture
- Maintain comprehensive and up-to-date analysis of food security, sustainable agricultural andclimate change adaptation in Somaliland.
- Ensure the delivery of monthly report as well as quarterly and annual reports to a highstandard to the Minister
- Support the co-ordination of resilience and food security, livelihoods trends and humanitarianneeds that may undermine food security and livelihoods in Somaliland.
- Promote synergies and south-south learning with national, regional and global programmes onResilience building.
- Project reporting – Ensure the delivery of monthly reports to the Minister as well as quarterly and annual reports to a high standard
Good communication skills, both facilitating and presenting but also producing written work of a high quality in English
This role has no team Management responsibility
- An advanced university degree (preferably MSc) in policy development and other related social sciences with emphasis on statistics and/or monitoring and evaluation. knowledge in food security, agriculture and social sciences, humanitarian affairs, political science, Information Technology.
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in development, food security, information management, and/or program development in Sub-Saharan Africa. Strong program design skills, including capacity to prepare logical, coherent, and consistent documents including Action Plan
- Experience with program planning, monitoring, financial management & donor reporting
- Proven experience in capacity building processes and techniques
- Ability to organize his/her work independently, prioritize, meet deadlines and multitask
- Good inter-personal skills with the ability to communicate sensitively to a broad range ofpeople and organisations within a cross cultural and Somaliland context.
- Proven organisation and administration skills, including familiarity with standard IT packagesand their applications and specifically Excel.
- Commitment to a partnership approach and action-oriented person
- Understanding of programme cycle management and programme quality theories, includingM&E systems and Results Based Management and impact assessment.
- Understanding of the rights-based approach and its application in development programming
- Experience working with the government
- Somali language skills desirable
- Additional details of exceptional aspects of the job:
- Keep abreast of developments in the sector as a whole and within the Resilience/livelihoods/ humanitarian sector in particular.
- Any other reasonable duty as may be assigned by the Minister that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility Outcomes of the Consultancy.
Please make sure to attach your detailed CV when applying to avoid being disregarded for incomplete application.
How to apply
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs