Security Associate – Gaalkacyo, Somalia
Security Associate G6, Galkayo
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Opening Date: 22nd June 2021 Closing Date: 5th July 2021
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include relief assistance, safety-net support including school feeding, nutrition programmes, and livelihood support through the provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers and capacity strengthening.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates; female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform tasks related to the implementation and assessment of security measures and maintenance of equipment with a view towards providing updates and recommendations to facilitate informed decision-making and secure WFP staff,
- facilities and operations.
- Review security threats and risks in detail and compile accurate reports on trends and situations that could adversely impact WFP operations, to ensure information is accurately collated and sent to senior security staff to support reporting and decision making.
- Review security-related information and use corporate or local information management tools to produce a range of analyses and in-depth reports, to ensure that information is readily available for relevant stakeholders.
- Liaise and co-ordinate with local administration, security and law enforcement authorities, communities, UN/NGO security staff, and other actors, to facilitate access for safe programme delivery and to mitigate potential risks against staff and other resources.
- Plan and co-ordinate staff activities during field missions and perform security assessments within the area of responsibility to support safe and effective programme delivery.
- Analyze security assessment reports following field missions and present detailed recommendations for risk mitigation to support security situation analysis and facilitate decision-making.
- Assist in advising the FSO on security risk management matters and safety issues in compliance with the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS).
- Support the implementation of risk management mitigation measures, including Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) to ensure compliance.
- Support the maintenance and management of security equipment and make recommendations to strengthen technology capacity in line with business requirements.
- Monitor and ensure that all access control procedures are effective and stringently followed by all staff and visitors, to maintain a safe and secure environment.
- Maintain and develop recommendations for improving emergency and contingency planning documentation including physical preparations and procedures, to support preparedness for a crisis.
- Deliver security training to staff and review security training needs to develop measures to meet business requirements.
Education:Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in a security and risk management-related field.Experience: Five (5) years of work experience in security, risk or disaster or emergency areas with security responsibilities, in the public or private service areas, such as national security, military or police, or in a corporate environment is required.
Experience in the use of Microsoft applications i.e. Word, Excel Access and PowerPoint is required.
Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Specialised knowledge of the application of practical methods, techniques, procedures, and systems used in security, typically gained through technical training and work experience.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of security logistics, security administration, risk assessment, and co-ordination with local authorities and local law enforcement agencies.
- Training and experience in fire and related intervention/evacuation procedures.
- Ability to manage emergency situations and remain calm.
- Attention to detail and constant vigilance in order to promptly detect any breach in security measures.
- Ability to interpret information, use judgement and inform supervisors of any incidents which might impact the UNWFP staff and operations.
- Excellent communication skills in order to maintain frequent correspondence with both, internal staff and external authorities with regards to security advisories and security incidents.
Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency in Somali Language.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.
Terms and Conditions
Contract Duration: 1 year (Initial)
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs