USAID Project Funded
Security Officer – Mogadishu, Somalia
SCOPE OF WORK
TITLE: Security Officer
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Long-Term
LOCATION: Mogadishu, Somalia
SUPERVISOR: Operations Coordinator
We are a project funded by USAID and implementing projects in Somalia.
The Security Officer is responsible for supporting the Senior Operations Coordinator (SOC) and Chief of Party (COP) in promoting staff security and ensuring staff knowledge and compliance with the project safety and security plan. The Security Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the project security platform ensuring staff adherence to the project safety and security plan, including completing journey management plans, auditing security systems and equipment, and ensuring all files and procedures are up to date. The Security Officer is in project field office in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Report to and collaborate with the Senior Operations Coordinator.
- Take all technical direction from their respective Global Security Manager (GSM) unless a Country Security Manager (CSM) or Regional Security Manager (RSM) has been tasked with that responsibility.
- Advise the project in developing, monitoring, and maintaining the project safety and security plan, ensuring project safety and security risks are addressed.
- Ensure the project safety and security plan is reviewed when there is a change in the security environment or per the MOSS schedule at a minimum.
- Support project leadership in implementing the security risk management process, including conducting security risk assessments to support all activities undertaken by the project and as directed.
- Provide ongoing risk analysis at the country and provincial levels concerning armed conflict, civil unrest, crime, manmade hazards, natural hazards, and terrorism.
- Utilize the Riley Security Management System to input local threat data, conduct risk assessments, and track risk treatment implementation as directed by the CSM, RSM, or GSM.
- Conduct ongoing incident mapping in all program areas of operation.
- Conduct pre-travel security briefs to international visitors as directed by the CSM, RSM, or GSM.
- Conduct in-country security briefings for new hires and visitors within 24 hours of arrival.
- Conduct site security surveys and assist the project in implementing Organization’s Site Security Management Process.
- Assist in administering the project’s alert and emergency management system if applicable.
- Oversee the performance of the project’s private security service providers ensuring adherence to their scope of work.
- Develop and liaise with a network of knowledgeable security providers, government and client counterparts, other donor security counterparts, and other local security stakeholders to share relevant security information, maintain situational awareness, and establish potential resources for emergency assistance.
- Attend security network meetings and participate in security training.
- Monitor the local security situation via various communication mediums, including electronic, print, radio, and television.
- Update project security staff regularly regarding safety and security issues and advise accordingly.
- Provide local security alerts to project staff.
- Ensure safety and security incidents are reported per Organization’s SIIM Process.
- Perform safety and security incident analysis and investigations as required by the COP, SOC, CSM, RSD, and GSM.
- Act as the focal person for civil/ military coordination on issues and local procedures that could impact project operations.
- Be prepared to assist the project in responding to an incident or crisis.
- Ensure field offices are appropriately trained to implement the project’s safety and security SOPs and capable of responding to a security incident.
- Assist in implementing project safety and security training ensuring staff compliance.
- Ensure the project is compliant with its MOSS.
- Deliver routine and extraordinary briefs to staff.
- Maintain an active communication tree and obtain accountability efficiently and effectively when an incident occurs.
- Ensure rental vehicles are well maintained and meet the project‘s safety and securityrequirements.
- Ensure the maintenance and functionality of all security resources (e.g., communication, tracking devices, etc.).
- Notify project leadership of any safety and security breaches or staff failure to comply with project safety and security SOPs.
Education and certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required.
Key Position Competencies and Experience:
- At least two (2) years of security risk management experience supporting an international development or humanitarian organization.
- At least (1) year experience providing field-level security oversight for projects in the same country.
- Experience developing and implementing security risk management processes and conducting security risk assessments.
- A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of asset and information protection principles necessary to plan and implement security programs and solutions supporting projects.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to analyze information to develop a complete picture of developing security situations.
- Experience coordinating logistics and operations support.
- Experience managing security incidents.
- Experience developing and implementing safety and security training programs and courses.
- Experience managing staff travel security.
- Experience managing security resources, including private security, transportation,communication, and medical service providers.
- Ability to work long hours and to be available on short notice to respond to emerging issues.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in cross-cultural settings.
- Proactive, with strong prioritization skills and the demonstrated ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Highly skilled in Microsoft 365’s suite of applications.
Organization Core Competencies:
- Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust, and commitment.
- Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally Demonstrates effective use of skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
- Adaptability: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
- Customer/Client Focused: Anticipates, monitors, and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
- Professionalism: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity, and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
How to apply
Candidates meeting the above requirements are highly encouraged to send their Cover Letters and CVs with three references to email@example.com by 2nd December 2023. The subject of the email should read ‘’ Security Officer Mogadishu Position’’.
NOTE: Attractive compensation will be offered to the successful candidate
Disclaimer: At no stage of the recruitment process will a candidate be asked for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview and assessment.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org