Shabelle Community Development Organization (SHACDO)
Senior Health & Nutrition Officer – Lower Shabelle Region, Somalia
SHABELLE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION (SHACDO)
Position: Senior Health & Nutrition Officer (1 Position- Somali nationals only)
Report to: SHACDO Senior Field Officer / Program Director
Location: Lower shabelle region
Date Issued: 21/04/2021
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: SHACDO/SHNO/023/2021,
Shabelle Community Development Organization (SHACDO) is a local nongovernmental humanitarian and development organization which is headquartered in Afgoye District but has sub project office in Mogadishu-Somalia. SHACDO is mandated in responding the community’s needs and targeting to the potential gaps of the poor communities. SHACDO prioritizes to identify the most appropriate targets for their projects where the poorest communities are suffering most. Pursuant to this mission SHACDO in partner with CONCERN World Wide is implementing Health & Nutrition intervention in Lower Shabelle Region. As part of this intervention, SHACDO is looking for a qualified senior health & nutrition officer that will be based in Lower Shabelle region.
General Description of the Role:
Working under the guidance and supervision of the program director, the senior health & Nutrition Officer will be directly responsible for the day to day implementation of the health & nutrition interventions which includes; Integrated outreach models i.e. IMAM done by running of selective feeding program, target supplementary feeding programs, nutrition surveillance & assessments including. Mass MUAC screenings promotion of mother infant and young child nutrition (MIYCN) through the community health volunteers. He/she will be responsible for managing health & nutrition responses, working with MOH and any other local stakeholders.
The officer will participate in any exercises organized to collect data at household, community/campaign district level, and work closely with others in the team at all times. This position will be based in Afgoye district in lower Shabelle region with potential visits to other programme locations in the region.
Programme implementation and Development
- Implement the health and nutrition response including treatment of severely malnourished under-fives while following the stipulated protocol.
- Implement and supervise the supplementary feeding of the moderately malnourished under-fives, pregnant/lactating mothers, individuals with medical conditions (HIV/AIDS and TB).
- Ensure the target Supplementary Feeding Program (TSFP) activities are implemented successfully.
- Implement comprehensive maternal infant and young child nutrition program (MIYCN) Baby Friendly Community initiative (BFCI) approaches.
- Train and mentor the health and nutrition program staff and the integrated community health promoters through identification of capacity gaps and carrying out refresher trainings and on the job trainings.
- Plan and conduct trainings on Growth Monitoring Promotion (GMP), IMAM and MIYCN to other mainstream health professionals.
- Develop key messages in nutrition to the targeted beneficiaries, and ensure it is delivered appropriately.
- Plan and conduct mass MUAC screening of the under-fives on a quarterly basis in collaboration with the Community Health workers
- Manage and run all health and nutrition centre as per agreed protocol
- Support the Community Health Workers Team(s) in allocated centers with all outreach, follow-up, IYCF counseling and data collection responsibilities.
- Carry out CMAM, IYCF and other training for CNTs, and participate in recruitment of new CNTs if/as necessary.
- With support from the Nutrition Officer(s), carry out IYCF counseling through one-to-one and support group sessions, and support CNTs to do the same.
- Alert the program director to any increase in incidence of communicable diseases such as measles, polio, AWD/cholera or others either in the centre or in the communities.
- Participate in any campaigns such as de-worming, hygiene promotion, etc as required.
- Produce and agree weekly, monthly and quarterly work plans and reports with the support from health and nutrition staff with the Nutrition Officer and Nutrition Field Officer.
- Compile and submit donor and CWW Nutrition Program weekly, biweekly and monthly reports of all the activities implemented, as well prepare supply requisitions.
- Lease with Supply Chain Department in logistical Program Supplies procurement and Monitoring Supply control.
- Stock monitoring of various commodities
- Participate in team meetings and other meetings/trainings as requested.
- Carry out other activities as agreed with the line manager and SHACDO management staff.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Keep and submit stock records for food, medicines and other supplies.
- Participate in nutrition assessments, surveys, surveillance, program reviews and other monitoring activities as required.
- Contribute to the preparation and collection of case studies to demonstrate programme impact, if requested.
- Undertake regular visits to the staff and communities to support & work with CNTs, monitor very sick children who refuse transfer to hospital, and report back with findings/recommendations
- Work closely with the Education, WASH and other teams as needed to expand the reach of the programme.
- Other tasks as may reasonably be requested by the Nutrition Officer.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor degree in Medicine, Qualified Nurse or Public Health Nutritionist.
- Additional training on treatment of severe acute malnutrition, health/hygiene promotion, IYCF and/or communicable disease management is desirable.
- Qualified local applicants will be given priority.
Experience and Skills
- At least three years experience of health & nutrition-related humanitarian/development programme implementation
- Experience of implementing emergency nutrition approaches including CMAM, and familiarity with protocols
- Knowledge of and/or interest in IYCF/behavior change/education interventions and counseling
- Experience of working in complex, insecure environments
- Fluent spoken and written Somali
- High level of spoken and written English
- Special Skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability and willingness to interact successfully and respectfully with people at all levels and from all backgrounds
- Ability to work under pressure and without constant supervision.
- Flexibility and ability to carry out additional duties and tasks as required and adapt to a changing operational environment
- Innovative and pro-active with a positive attitude
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should apply by submitting their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or SHACDO’s Office, next to Aden Abdulle hospital, KM5 area, Wadajir District, Banadir Region, Somalia with the subject line and vacancy notice number “Application for Senior Health & Nutrition Officer”. The closing date for application is 05th May 2021. Applications and CVs submitted after deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted will be contacted for interviews.
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs