Mercy Corps Ethiopia
Senior Human Resource officer – Jigjiga, Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
Deadline May 9, 2021
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states – Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara – and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work, and seek to integrate approaches, programs and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development and private sector actors, civil societies and communities.
Position Title: SENIOR HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICER
Duty Station: Jigjiga, Somali Region
Open Position: One
The Human Resource Department is responsible for providing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines and support within Mercy Corps Ethiopia. This includes but is not limited to: Talent Acquisition & Development; employee engagement coordination; country wide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (Group Life, etc).
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Senior Human Resource officer is responsible for enabling the Human Resource activities in the Jijiga filed office. S/he reports directly to the Human Resource Manager and ensures effective systems that support the overall human resource strategy for healthy, robust and integrated functions of local team members within the organization under the supervision of the Human Resource Manager. The position provides tactical supervision of the human resource team/focal points and needs to ensure efficient and effective operations in Eastern Region.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Talent Management Functions
- Coordinate human resources activities, such as recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, employee relations, and performance management.
- Review documentation relating to personnel activities such as staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, and Classifications.
- Identify training and development opportunities using staff performance and development plans as a standard and working with Unit Heads
- Drive employee engagement schemes at field office.
- Assist with the development and presentation of talent acquisition procedures for field staff at regional meetings, orientations and training functions
- Participate in the development, planning, and implementation of recruiting activities designed to enhance MCE’s ability to attract and retain qualified candidates.
- Develop strategic relationships with strategic hiring sources (e.g. colleges, universities, networks, associations), ensuring awareness of MCE as a destination employer
- Establishes recruiting requirements by studying organization plans and objectives; meeting with managers to discuss needs
- Builds applicant sources by researching and contacting community services, colleges, employment agencies, recruiters, media, and internet sites; providing organization information, opportunities, and benefits; making presentations; maintaining rapport
- Effect all required recruitment activities in line with set recruitment process and applicable staffing plans
- Perform reference and background checks for new hires and discuss results with hiring managers
Documentation and Database Management
- Maintains personnel files and records of MC Jijiga staff, facilitation of recruitment and remuneration issues in the Human Resource Department. Responsible for maintaining personnel files including recruitment documents, CVs valid contracts, PAFs, timesheets, employee data sheets, disciplinary papers and performance evaluations as well as ensuring leave records of all staff are properly maintained and updated;
- Maintain a tracking system for all types of leave of all employees; maintain annual holiday schedule including determination of exact holidays in advance of the holiday (as possible) as well as coordinate coverage for operations during annual leave of key national staff with HR Manager;
- Maintain up-to-date staffing lists by program and department; maintain appropriate records and ensure confidentiality regarding personnel activities and personnel data including employment documentation, evaluations, exit interviews and other relevant information. Periodically audit and archive or destroy dated information, including employee and applicant files, in accordance with national law.
- Manage that records and confidentiality regarding personnel activities and personnel data including employment documentation, evaluations, exit interviews and other relevant information are kept appropriately.
- Coordinate the monthly procedure of timesheets for all staff including collection, review and compilation into payroll; training new staff on timesheet procedure;
- Ensure that all national staff an up-to-date Position Description
- Coordinate the clearance of terminated employees, as per MC Ethiopian policies and procedures;
Training and Development Function
- Coordinate orientation and onboarding activities and ensure staff are fully on boarded appropriately
- Identifies Mercy Corps staff development needs ensuring that there is core competencies and goals
- Ensure that all training programs are executed properly at all levels and ensuring consistency in quality delivery of training sessions country wide
- Develops, implements, monitors, and maintains both internal and External training programs across the business
- Keep track of departmental training records and training dashboards
- Drive the Mercy Corps Performance Management Functions
- Ensure staff have a full grasp of their 60 days’ work plan and ensure probationary reviews are done appropriately and not exceeding the 2 months agreed timeline
- Facilitate all leadership 360 feedback forms within the Mercy Corps Ethiopia Team and ensure the delivery in the performance appraisal forms
- Oversee the Career progression and Succession plan for Mercy Corps Ethiopia Team
Other Support Duties
- Perform and promote all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, Regional laws, Agency policies and the professional standards
- Quarterly Field Visit to support the HR focal point and assistants in the field and ensure compliance with the ethics of Mercy Corps Human Resources
- Create a good recruitment brand for the Mercy Corps Ethiopia program
- Ensure all recruitment process, performance and training are transparent and in line with the goal of the Mercy Corps Ethiopia strategy and goal
- Support other HR Teams when necessary to aid their efficiency
- Participate in disciplinary, hiring and termination meetings with program staff upon request; attend coordination meetings as discussed and agreed upon by supervisor; maintain confidentiality of all national staff personnel issues including disciplinary procedures and contracts/ pay rates;
- Advise national staff on disciplinary procedures and on other HR policies and procedures
- Ensure adherence to Mercy Corps national staff policies and Mercy Corps administrative procedures by all staff; ensure office and personnel policies are in compliance with Mercy Corps Field Administration Manual and National Staff Policy Handbook
- Interpret and provide guidance and instruction on HR processes, policies, workflow, and work unit priorities.
- Provide regular monthly/quarterly reports on HR related
- Any other duties as assigned
GEDSI (GENDER, EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND SOCIAL INCLUSION)
· Understand and aware GDI related priorities of the country office and contribute for the realization of priorities (continually work to understand and be aware of the gender diversity and inclusion priorities of the country office and contribute in the execution)
· Promote gender equal and inclusive workplace culture in a day-to-day interaction with a team member, partners and program participants.
· Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
· Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
· As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
· Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
· Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
· Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, benefits administration, organizational planning and development, employee relations, safety, training and development and office administration.
· Must have excellent Microsoft Excel skills
· Must have a working knowledge and be current with all relevant employment related laws.
· Excellent analytical skills and good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
· Strong oral and written communication skills. Superior interpersonal and coaching skills including patience and ability to work well with staff at all levels.
· Proven experience in Crisis/ Conflict Management.
Qualification & Experience
· At least a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in in Management, Business Administration, and any other related social science fields is required.
· 4-6 years of professional experience with at least 4 years of progressive and hands-on HR generalist experience evident in multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management, and relevant employment laws
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Local Language
· Knowledge of HR systems required
· Demonstrated excellence in human resource management, particularly in a multi-cultural environment, including staff training, motivation, and handling discipline related cases.
· Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
· Good negotiation, representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse team.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicant’s personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 09 May 2021/4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address: email@example.com
Note: Please make sure that you mention the position title in the subject line of your email application.
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org