Save the Children International
Social Transfer Senior Advisor – Hargeisa, Somaliland
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world’s largest independent child rights organization. From emergency relief to long-term development, Save the Children secures a child’s right to health, education and protection. Save the Children is an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. We are looking to recruit for this position to be based in Hargeisa.
Position: Social Transfer Senior Advisor
Duration: 12 Months
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Please refer the below Job Description for the position description and the key selection criteria.
Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory cover letter quoting the Job Title on the subject line. The file name of the CV and attachments must be the applicants name and sent
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications close on Monday 28th June 2021 @ 11:59pm.
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts. All successful applicants will therefore be required.
The following provides guidance on development of role profiles. This guidance should be used when completing the template. (Please use font Gill Sans MT size 11)
|TITLE: Social Transfer Senior Advisor|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Social Transfers program MESAF (Secondment)||LOCATION: Hargeisa, Somaliland|
|GRADE: (please leave this blank)||CONTRACT LENGTH:
12 months (renewable)
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING: (select only one)
(This section explains the level and type of contact the post holder may have with children. These levels are determined in accordance with our Save the Children Child Safeguarding Policy. Select the level applicable to the post and delete the levels that are not relevant to the post holder). Please check with HR for further clarification
Level 1: A basic criminal record background (DBS) check is required/equivalent police record check.
Level 2: either the post holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or the post holder will be working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor, legal executive); therefore a police check will be required (at ‘standard’ level in the UK or equivalent in other countries).
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Social Transfers Senior Advisor (STSA) will be responsible to provide technical inputs and insights to social protection policy and scheme developed as well as capacity development priorities of MESAF. He/She will lead the overall social protection programme designs and implementation of the Social Transfers programme. The incumbent will, in coordination and communication with MESAF Planning and Policy Director & Social Protection Department, organise national level policy discussion on social transfers and social protection in general and ensure social protection coordination meetings are held in a timely and efficient manner.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Director-General (MESAF)
Staff reporting to this post:
Direct: Social Transfer Junior Advisor (STJA- MESAF)
Indirect : N/A
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
Role Dimensions: The role is key in the management of the Social Transfers Program and requires diplomacy, problem solving, initiative and follow through of various tasks. S/he must have the ability to establish productive working relationship with various international, national and counterparts. S/he must also be able to lead a team of professionals and achieve the required results in a timely and professional manner.
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
1. Lead in the provision of technical support and advice, support and direction to the Social Transfers Programme, specifically in the design and execution of the cash based social transfer activities in coordination with Concern Worldwide and Save the Children International (SCI)
2. Under the direct supervision of the DG and director of planning, oversee the administrative, programmatic, and the operations aspect of the project; ensuring that project resources are allocated according to plan, and activities are in line with the project’s objectives, policies and guidelines
3. Prepare and provide timely progress, financial, and other relevant reports to the Director General, Cash Consortia, and other relevant government entities (Ministry of Planning, etc.).
4. Initiate and coordinate the preparation of annual work plans based on a standardized format.
5. Contribute to the development of social transfers schemes and social protection policy, & a government-owned and led social transfer model, ensuring that project implementation follows the stipulations of the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
6. Ensure Social Protection Department of MESAF capacity is strengthened and operational and functioning according to the technical design of the Social Transfers Programme
7. Ensure that all social cash transfers schemes and social protection policy are gender responsive, accessible and inclusive of marginalised populations, particularly women, youth and elderly.
8. Technically advise MESAF Social Protection Policies, Procedures and Schemes, ensuring a strong foundation for demonstrating impacts
9. Provide a technical review and support on the timely preparation of progress and other relevant reports to MESAF, the Cash Transfers Consortium, and the overall social protection stakeholders
10. Engage in the MESAF’S research and learning capacities to ensure learning pieces are technically sound to fill learning and evidence gaps in a way that will support Social Transfers programme and the development of Social Protection Policy and Priorities at National Level
11. Train and orient MESAF Social Protection staff to concepts of inclusive social protection, safety nets, operationalisation, and all related capacity building of Ministry staff.
12. Technically support in organising National level Social Transfers discussions, coordination meetings, policy briefs, advocacy and awareness raising events
13. Participate in all joint implementation and supervision missions monitoring missions, and project related workshops, consultations, meetings as required. This may include travel to project sites in target locations of Hargeisa, Borama and Berbera.
14. Carry out other functions related to the project that will, from time to time, be agreed upon between the MESAF, implementing partners, the CMU and the EU.
15. Execute any other assignment as required by the DG and the Director of Planning and Policy Department at MESAF
|BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· willing to take disciplined risks.
· honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Master’s degree in social sciences, management, economics, business administration, or a related field with at least 3 years of work experience in relevant fields; or a bachelor’s degree with at least 7 years of work experience in relevant fields.
|EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· A minimum of 3 years of experience in successfully leading programs in safety nets/social protection, nutrition, health, education, or other development field.
· Proven record of knowledge, experience and involvement in Somaliland’s social protection/social care agenda.
· Track record of successful coordination with government.
· Applied knowledge of European Union and NGO policies.
· Experience in Somaliland with strong understanding of poverty and vulnerability issues, public sector experience, and/or private sector experience is desirable.
· Firsthand knowledge of Somaliland and sensitivity to the underlying social, economic and cultural context in particular.
· Demonstrated ability to lead a multi-disciplinary project management team, including identifying training and capacity building opportunities for team members.
· Proven ability to build effective working relations with colleagues and clients, and capable of working under pressure, with good experience in leadership and strategic management of project team at national level.
· Proven experience in project management, coordinating, cooperating and negotiating with high level Government officials, donor partners and diverse local stakeholders.
· Ability to establish productive working relationship with various international, national and government (federal and state-level) counterparts.
· Readiness and proven ability to work in multi-cultural environment; and
· Complete fluency and writing skills in Somali and English.
|Additional job responsibilitiesThe duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
|Equal OpportunitiesThe role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.|
|Child Safeguarding:We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.|
|Adult Safeguarding.The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy, all employees are also expected to carry out their duties in accordance with SCI protection from sexual exploitation abuse.|
|Health and SafetyThe role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.|
|Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Female qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Interested and qualified applicants can view the profile and apply for this position through the below URLs:-
|Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested and qualified applicants can view the profile and apply for this position through the below URLs:-
Closing Date will be Monday 28th June 2021 @ 11:59pm.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs