Hirshabelle State of Somalia
Terms of Reference (TOR) For Consultant to develop Local Government Financial Management Manual – Hirshabelle State of Somalia
JAMHUURIYADDA FEDERAALKA SOOMAALIYA
وزارة الداخلية،والحكومات المحلية
|Federal Republic of Somalia
Hirshabelle State of Somalia
Ministry of Interior, and
|TERMS OF REFERENCE|
|Functional title: Consultant to develop Local Government Financial Management Manual||Duration: 14 Days
|Duty station: Hirshabelle State||Starting date: 23/05/2021|
- BACKGROUND AND CONTEXT
The UN Joint Program on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery for Somalia was launched in 2008. The first and second phase of the program succeeded to implant the much-required reform in the local governance of Somalia. Given the success of the program, along with the transformative context in which Somalia is currently experiencing and the interest from the donor community, a third phase of 5-year period was launched in July 2018.
The Joint Program, which has five participating agencies including ILO, UNCDF, UNDP,
UN-Habitat and UNICEF and partnered with federal member states and federal government of Somalia to improve local governance in Somalia. The program is also aligned with the UN Strategic Framework for Somalia 2017 – 2021 and contributes to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It also localizes the New Urban Agenda (NUA) and National Development Plan of Somalia (NDP). The first two phases of the program have been successful and maintained the vision of reforming and strengthening sub-national structures as a means to consolidate peace gains, enhance delivery of basic urban services and restoring confidence and credibility in the state. To further consolidate this, the program outcomes are structured around three mutually reinforcing strategies: Supporting policy and legislative reforms for functional, fiscal and administrative decentralization that clarify and enhance the role of local government, its relationship to central government, and to improve local service delivery.
Hirshabelle is the one of the Federal Member states. It is currently under the process of increasing domestic taxes to improve service delivery. With the support of UN-Habitat JPLG Somalia Programme, the state is going to draft Local Government Financial Management to guide financial management at the district level. The manual will touch wide range of relevant topics and provide step by step procedures of recording revenue, managing expenditure and ways of strengthening internal control mechanism. In addition, it will guide the process of preparing and submitting financial reports as to whom to be submitted, when should be submitted and what information they should capture. It will also provide guidance on debt and borrowing management, asset management and accounting system.
- PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The overall objective of the assignment is to develop a “Local Government Financial Management Manual” for Hirshabelle to administer revenue generation, recording, expenditure management, budget preparation and execution, internal control mechanisms, debt and credit management processes, asset management and financial reporting;
- SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The scope of this assignment is to:
- Review the relevant literature including the Constitution, local government law, existing laws, local government finance policy and other relevant regulatory frameworks on financial management at federal or state level which may affect Hirshabelle State financial management operations.
- Conduct consultation sessions with relevant stakeholders, at State and District level and seek their inputs;
- Develop a comprehensive Local Government Financial Management that is in line with the local government finance policy and Public Financial Management best practices;
- Produce draft the manual based on the agreed outline and submit to Ministry of Interior within the agreed timeframe;
- Facilitate validation workshop and present the draft manual amongst key stakeholders. The validation workshop will draw representatives from the various stakeholders from the relevant sectors/departments;
- Share the final manual after incorporation with all the comments from the validation workshop.
The Consultant is expected to deliver the following outputs which will have to be approved by the Hirshabelle State in consultation with UN-Habitat.
- Draft the outline of the Manual – This will be presented to ministry of interior to ensure that it serves the purpose and aims to address all that is expected to cover. Once approved by Ministry, the consultant will draft the manual.
- Consultation workshop report – a summary of key inputs provided by the participants and incorporate into the manual.
- Final Manual: A final draft manual is expected to be shared with ministry and approved.
- ASSIGNMENT DURATION
The period of execution of the assignment will be 45 working days from the date of signature. The breakdown of the activity schedules will be agreed by the parties.
The following attributes are required for the selection of the applicant:
- Aspiring candidates should have a master’s degree from a recognized higher education institution in the field of Business Administration, Financial Management, Institutional Development, Auditing, Public Administration and conversant with Public Policy In addition, applicants should be fluent in Somali and English both verbal and written.
- Required skills
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to Somali Public financial management structures. Strong analysis of financial management systems with the focus on underlying social, legal and financial mechanisms and the political Ability to observe deadlines and achieve set goals. Ability to work and deliver under pressure.
- Communication: Excellent written and oral presentation skills in Excellent capacity to produce monthly and progress report. Good presentation skills. Ability to communicate complex interventions in a clear language and convincing narratives. Sketching capabilities to effectively communicate in workshop/training settings and teams.
- Teamwork: Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve agreed goals.
- Planning and Organizing: Ability to prioritize activities and assignments and to easily switch between different
- Creativity: Strong conceptual Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches, takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”, and offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs. Can easily develop clear plans in contexts with limited information and data.
- Management: Ability to manage smaller project teams, divide workload and sustain efficiency.
- PAYMENTS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The terms and conditions of service will be negotiated with the successful candidate. Remuneration will be competitive and determined by market forces. Other conditions of service include signing a 45 working days contract that is non-renewable due to short length of the project. Regarding the payment, the payments will be based on deliverables over the consultancy period. There are set remuneration rates for consultancies. The rate is determined by functions performed and experience of the consultant. The fees will be paid as per agreement.
- Application procedure
Qualified candidates should submit their applications, accompanied with copies of their Curriculum Vitae (CVs), to email@example.com. not later than on 06/06/2021, Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org