THRIVE/FSL PROJECT MANAGER, Burco, Somaliland
Position: THRIVE/Food Security & Livelihood (FSL) Project Manager
Location: Burco, Somaliland
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Direct Hierarchy: Emergency Project Coordinator/DCD/Area Coordinator
Starting date: October 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the THRIVE/Food Security & Livelihood (FSL) Project Manager position to be based in Burco, Somaliland.
Under the supervision of the Emergency Project Coordinator/Area Coordinator and Technical Coordinator for Food security and livelihoods, the FSL Project Manager will be primarily responsible for ensuring that the project’s activities are fully implemented in accordance with proposals, ACTED rules, regulations, and donor requirements. The FSL Project Manager will be responsible for the implementation of the livelihood and THRIVE activities and is required to supervise the FSL Project Officer, FSL Project Assistant, and FSL Interns & give the necessary capacity-building guidance.
The FSL Project Manager will be the focal point on the ground for ACTED to help in coordination and collaboration with local authorities when required. Finally, he or she will be responsible on coordinating with other members of the consortium and endure a proper reporting and communication with the lead partner, also making sure of the compliance in term of budget and respect of the targets, log frame and workplan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the implementation of all project activities to ensure the project is completed in a timely and accountable manner.
- In collaboration with the FSL TC, Line ministries, and Community leaders select the sites of Farmers Field School (FFS) communal demonstration plots.
- Maintain proper records and documentation related to FFS groups at the field level in respective villages.
- Participate in the design, and assessment of livelihood and food security components of the project activities.
- Identify the strategic locations for specific interventions (e.g., areas for the rainwater harvesting practices and establishment of vegetative barriers, gully rehabilitation/stream bank protection, and other soil and water conservation methods) for soil stabilization and minimization of soil erosion.
- Identify training needs of the field staff and farmers at various levels, conduct training, and document the trial’s outcome and farmer adoption levels.
- Coordinate ACTED Agriculture field activities with other partners, NGOs, local community, and relevant Government departments in line with THRIVE projects.
- Ensure ACTED’s participation in inter-agency livelihood coordination meetings and represent ACTED in National Agriculture Co-ordination meetings when needed.
- Take the lead on planning agricultural extension services targeting small-scale farmers within key agro-food value chains and local partners and extension services.
- Take a lead in the establishment and running of farmer field schools in coordination with relevant stakeholders to ensure the sustainability of the approaches.
- Conduct agriculture-related training for farmers to ensure effective productivity of appropriate information on GAP (soil management, water management, IPM, green compost production efficiency and safe use of pesticides and urea pest control, land-use efficiency, harvesting best storage practices, and Market linkages).
- Collaborating with the project team organizing field days and exposure visits among Farmers Field Schools (FFS) groups on demonstration and trial plots and updating the progress regularly.
- Conduct value chain and market assessment to identify potential farming groups for developing value chain and marketing projects.
- In collaboration with field staff, extension workers and target farmers conduct seasonal crop harvest assessment.
- Link farmer’s kitchen gardening and livestock beneficiaries to the local markets to generate income.
- Identification of the needs of farmers and the farming practices used and formulation of an available achievable strategy to improve agricultural production within the limited resources to farmers.
- Identify appropriate agricultural seed and small-scale agricultural tools relevant to the locality and target community in collaboration with farming comparatives and local authorities.
- Assess farmer innovation and acceptability of new Agriculture technologies and practices.
- To ensure all activities undertaken are appropriately documented (agreement/MOUs with relevant authorities in Somaliland, attendance sheets and training circular, beneficiary Registration lists, work plans, and accounts when relevant, etc.)
- Help in the development and updating of monthly Project Management Framework (PMF) sheets to ensure smooth tracking of the assigned projects.
- Coordinate with the field team in Hargeisa and the AMEU department to prepare and implement project monitoring and evaluation plans.
- To budget and monitor project expenditures to ensure they are in line with ACTED and donor requirements.
- Liaise with the FLAT team in the field and area office to coordinate procurement and other needs for project implementation and organization-based support.
- Protection Mainstreaming: promoting and adhering to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies, and casual laborers).
- Prepare/Compile the monthly, quarterly, and annual and Contribute to the preparation and collection of case studies to demonstrate program impact and share with the THRIVE Project Manager.
- Any other tasks required by the line manager/ THRIVE project manager.
- Partner coordination and Service Delivery Monitoring
- Considering gender, protection, and GBV concerns in all aspects of activities.
- Promoting and adhering to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies, casual labors)
- Supporting and promoting the participation of women, youth, people with specific needs, and marginalized groups in camp governance mechanisms and THRIVE Activities
Planning, Implementing, and Reporting
- Supporting the line manager in devising weekly and long-term work plans for the project implementation, particularly Towards Holistic Resilience in Vulnerable Environments (THRIVE)
- Attending regular staff coordination meetings
- Represent food security and livelihoods sub-national cluster, sub-national cash work group, and other stakeholders’ engagement in Somaliland, particularly the Togdheer region.
- Excellent liaison with other Site Team Members, ensuring consistency and coordination of activities on the target sites/locations.
- Timely reporting on problems and challenges in the field to the line Manager as well as the coordination team.
- Timely reporting on security and safety incidents, including droughts, pests and diseases, floods, and any possible security hazards in the field to the coordination team.
- Timely submission of weekly reports or other reports as requested by the line manager.
- Commitment to continuous learning through training and timely identification of capacity-building needs and opportunities, in coordination with line Manager/TC/HR Dept.
- Supervise FSL Project Officer, FSL Project Assistant, Community Mobilizer, and interns, lead any relevant recruitment process and be responsible for staff appraisal.
Transparency and Compliance
- Ensuring compliance with ACTED internal procedures and donor procedures
- Accurate record keeping of project documentation, including photos and proper filing of meeting minutes, databases, attendance sheets, assessment reports/documents, review and updating of databases, etc., in soft and hard copy.
- Provide translation of various documents (e.g., reports, minutes, beneficiary lists, information signs) upon request of the Site Manager
Perform any additional task as requested by the line Manager.
Qualifications EXPERIENCE & technical skills
- Completion of a university degree in Agriculture, Agronomists, Natural resource Management, or another relevant degree
- Minimum 5 years of experience in international and/or local NGO; ideally involved in directly implementing field-level humanitarian assistance to refugees or IDPs and rural agropastoral communities.
- Experience in community services, women empowerment, youth activities, protection, distribution or registration
- Extensive knowledge of the Somali displacement context.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
- Proficiency in English and local language, both oral and written.
- Experience in working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organizations.
- Experience, including leading/supervising subordinate staff, organizing activities, and report writing.
- Experience in training and capacity-building of staff
- Experience in Food security and livelihoods, farmers’ field schools, GAP, etc.
- Preferable experience operating in Somaliland a rural area/environment, particularly in the Togdheer region.
- Knowledge of logistics and procurement processes.
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Understanding of gender, protection, and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality
- Managerial experience, including leading/supervising subordinate staff, organizing activities, and report writing.
- Experience in training and capacity-building of staff.
- Experience in FSL, including Introduction to FSL Training.
- Knowledge of logistics and procurement processes.
- A positive problem-solving approach.
- Enthusiasm to learn and apply new skills.
- Good interpersonal communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to work under pressure.
How to apply
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on 20th October 2023 with the subject line ‘THRIVE/FSL PROJECT MANAGER -BURCO
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org