UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nation.
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision of the admin Assistant, performs a variety of duties related including supervision of drivers for day to day admin management, prepare for missions and assign the drivers, and responsible for the vehicles maintenance and repair and over all office maintenance etc.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks:
- Coordinate all transport requests and services for staff and authorized personnel, airport transportation, delivery and pick-up of correspondence/documents, pouches and programme supplies as required. Manage the transport function and provide timely movement of programme supplies to project sites.
- Searches office files and records relating to a variety of topics for information and reference.
- Selects information and records in specified format, or on the basis of general instructions for use by others in preparing reports, correspondence, technical papers, project or programme plans and general reference documents.
- Undertake the planning and coordinating with the service providers for effective and timely movement of staff and supplies for the implementation of programme activities.
- Receive, screen and log incoming mail and correspondence, attaching responses to routine and non-substantive correspondence for the Operations Section, ensure that the urgent mail is attended to promptly by the designated staff member
- Drafts correspondence and reports in accordance with standard office procedures. Responds to queries relating to the area of responsibility.
- Arrange and supervise activities and services related to regular servicing, maintenance and repair of UNICEF Vehicles, generators, office and guesthouse, and security of UNICEF premises and property.
- Provide guidance to six Drivers and day to day coordination within the office transport section. Assign duties to Drivers, Issue fuel coupons for authorized vehicles daily and check on log book mileage to reconcile fuel taken and distance covered.
- Undertake detailed checks on fuel consumed against bills submitted at the end of each month.
- Prepare summary sheet report on fuel consumption and maintenance.
- Works closely with the Administrative Assistant to process security clearances for the staff travelling on field missions or official travel.
- Makes travel reservations, prepares travel orders and assembles information pertinent to the purpose of travel.
- Advises and makes arrangements for shipment and receipt of office and project supplies and equipment.
- Maintains, updates and transmits inventory records of non-expendable equipment
- Responsible for keeping stock of office stationery, equipment accessories and consumables including toner cartridges, and distribution of stationery as per requests. Prepare monthly summary sheet on the balances of the items.
- Performs other duties, as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of Secondary Education.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and regulations.
- Supplementary courses in admin related field and asset.
- Proficiency in computer packages
- A minimum of [4 years] of relevant professional experience in general clerical work which should have provided a good knowledge of clerical experience. Experience in supervision of fleet of vehicles an asset
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Available for internal staff only.
Advertised: Apr 19 2018 E. Africa Standard Time
Application close: Apr 28 2018 E. Africa Standard Time