Assistant Finance Officer – Galkayo, Somalia
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Finance Officer
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Galkayo, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
The Assistant Finance Officer is responsible for supporting the Finance aspects of Mercy Corps’ Finance Department in Galkayo. Working closely with his/her supervising Senior Finance Officer and Program, Administration, Finance and Operations, the Assistant Finance Officer is instrumental in supporting country finance and program activities through his/her services. S/he will work under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer and be responsible for processing and recording payment transactions on daily basis, and general day-to-day management of the office. The position requires full adherence to Mercy Corps standard procedures and security protocols.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain custody of the office cash fund and make daily payments of approved transactions
- Prepare cash payment vouchers and ensure that all cash transactions are fully and properly documented
- Review expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness and ensure that expense reports have been fully approved before payment
- Perform daily cash count with the Senior Finance Officer
- Record payment vouchers daily in the cash batch in the Navigator.
- Maintain the uncleared cash advance file and prepare past due advance report for the Finance Manager
- Prepare checks or wire transfer requests based on fully approved documents and present to approved check-signers for review and signature.
- Prepare bank payment vouchers and ensure that all bank transactions are properly and fully documented
- Prepare photocopies of vouchers and other supporting documents as required for the monthly reporting package to HQ Finance
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain voucher filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: NONE
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Senior Finance Officer
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: All finance staff, Program staff, Operations Staff
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1-2 years of bookkeeping, banking, or cashiering experience
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field is desirable.
- High computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude, and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English skills
The successful Assistant Finance Officer will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment and an ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks. S/he will have a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and will be able to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel. Good spoken and written English is critical, and computer literacy and strong organizational skills.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to always adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for this position and submit their applications through https://www.mercycorps.org/careers/national only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“Female candidates are strongly preferred to apply, and the candidate must have a good understanding and experience for the vacant position”
Note: Please be aware that your education certificate and employment background of the last 3 years will be verified by Mercy corps during the recruitment process.
Deadline for Applications: May 5, 2023
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit recruiting2.ultipro.com.