Committed To Good (CTG)
Construction Surveyor (1 position) – Mogadishu, Somalia
Vacancy id: VAC-10873
Job title: VAC-10873 Construction Surveyor
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Apply by: 28-Nov-2023
Start date: 01-Dec-2023
Duration: 1 year
Number of vacancies: 1
Qualification: Bachelor’s in surveying technology, land surveying, civil engineering or a relevant discipline or an advanced diploma in surveying technology, land surveying, civil engineering or a relevant discipline ( essential).
Sector experience: Minimum of 8 year/s of demonstrable relevant Surveying experience ( essential).
Geographical experience: Minimum of 8 year/s of experience in Africa ( desirable).
Languages: Fluent in English ( essential).
CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
Overview of position
- In late 2019 parts of Somalia experienced some of the worst flooding in the country’s recent history resulting in several deaths & significant damage to infrastructure, crops, property & livestock. Further to this flood event, a joint assessment undertaken by the World Bank & the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) assessed the losses & damage caused by the floods & developed a strategy for immediate recovery & longer term resilience building. As a result, Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (SCRP) financed by the World Bank through the Federal Ministry of Finance (MoF) was formulated. The project aimed at supporting the recovery of livelihoods & infrastructure in flood & drought affected areas & strengthening the capacity for disaster preparedness nationwide. The recovery interventions focus is on 3 flood affected states (Hirshabelle, South West State & Jubaland), while the longer term interventions focus on a broader national coverage, enabling government capacity strengthening in disaster risk management.
- The Project Implementation Unit (PIU) established within the MoF is managing the project implementation with our client providing technical support in project activities design, implementation, monitoring & reporting. Their input includes the development of designs for the rehabilitation of flood damaged roads, buildings & other infrastructure. As part of their technical advisory team, the Chief Surveyor is to be engaged to undertake the field materials investigation activities & pavement designs & report preparation.
The Surveyor will be assigned to one of the sites (Hirshabelle, South West State or Jubaland) & will report to the Resident Engineer. S / He will be responsible for all surveying tasks related to the SCRP works implementation of the assigned city & reporting to the Resident Engineer. The Surveyor’s specific tasks will include:
- Checking the accuracy of established control points & measures to ensure acceptable level of accuracy is maintained throughout the project.
- Check & verify works undertaken by the contractor to ensure works implementation are as per the design drawings & specifications.
- Carry out topographic surveys of roads & generation of digital elevation models, maps & drawings from the survey data as directed by the Resident Engineer.
- Carrying out field measurements in support of maintaining works progress records, preparation of work quantities for the bill payments & management of variation claims etc.
- Preparation of survey reports & any other relevant documents as may be required / directed by the Resident Engineer.
- Generation of outputs on GIS platforms for use by the project team & other stakeholders.
- The Surveyor will also be required to interpret any survey data, maps & GIS outputs received from stakeholders.
- Ensure the accuracy of the survey equipment through testing & calibration & be the custodian of survey equipment & tools availed to him / her.
- Management of all survey records generated by the project with the responsibility for the final hand over to the client.
- On the job training of the counterpart staff provided by PIU on engineering surveying tasks.
The Surveyor will report to the Resident Engineer.
- Minimum BSc in surveying technology, land surveying, civil engineering or a relevant discipline or an advanced diploma in surveying technology, land surveying, civil engineering or a relevant discipline.
- A registered or licensed surveyor with a recognized institution.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in topographic surveying works for those with a BSc degree or 8 years of experience for those with an advanced diploma.
- Experience in undertaking surveying of at least 1 infrastructure projects within the last 3 years, with a similar level of duties & responsibilities expected to be performed under this position TOR.
- Proficient in using latest surveying equipment such as geodetic / real time kinetic GPS, total station, automatic level & ability to upload / download data & generate topographic maps & contours.
- Demonstrated experience in data handling on GIS platforms as well as dealing with satellite imagery information.
- Proficient in engineering, survey & GIS software such Autodesk / AutoCAD & Civil 3D, ArcGIS (or other similar software).
- Prior & relevant work experience in Somalia or East Africa is desirable.
- Fluency in written & spoken English is required.
The Surveyor will be managing a survey team (mainly labor management).
- At no stage of the recruitment process will CTG ask candidates for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview, assessment and training.
- CTG has a zero tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) which is outlined in its Code of Conduct. Protection from SEA is everyone’s responsibility and all staff are required to adhere to CTG’s Code of Conduct at all times.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit app.tayohr.io.