Consultantcy- ADR Manual and Curriculum Legal Expert – Hargeysa, Somaliland
- Organization: IDLO – International Development Law Organization
- Location: Hargeysa (Somalia)
- Grade: Single Engagement Agreement – Consultancy
- Occupational Groups:
- Legal – International Law
- Closing Date: 2021-10-21
The IDLO, in collaboration with other consortium members, is promoting a reformed and modernized Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) system through the establishment and operationalization of a new ADR Centre in Somaliland under the Program ‘Strengthening the social contracts through access to justice” funded by the Government of the Netherlands (Also known as Damal Programme). The programme aims to foster the social contract in Somaliland by increasing the legitimacy of justice institutions.
The overall goal of the programme is expected to be achieved through three (3) intermediate outcomes: (1) improved access to an Alternative Dispute Resolution(ADR) mechanism and referral pathways, especially for vulnerable groups; (2) enhanced access to formal justice for vulnerable groups through holistic support to gender-based violence (GBV) survivors and affected communities; and (3) increased participation of citizens in Somaliland in accountability processes relating to the provision of security and justice. The specific mandate of each Centre is to facilitate the practice of ADR and settle claims and disputes at the community level, facilitating and increasing access to justice for the local population, particularly vulnerable categories.
IDLO is seeking to hire a curriculum development consultant to work with an internal team of staff to develop a curriculum and manual for ADR centers. Under this role, the IDLO aims to increase the professionalism of ADR adjudicators by improving their basic skills in mediation and arbitration and promoting compliance of the hearing process and outcomes with the basic human rights standards, particularly for gender issues. Through a practical approach, the delivery of basic human rights principles, Sharia law, and constitutional principles, adjudicators will learn to disapply xeer principles and practices that are not in line with the Somaliland Constitution.
Period of Consultancy:
The consultant will be based in Hargeisa and is expected to work 30 working days
The Specific objectives:
Under the direct supervision of the Field program manager, the consultant will collaborate with other Damal programme staff and implementing partners based in Somaliland. The consultant shall:
- Conduct an initial capacity assessment for ADR centers
- Develop manual and curriculum for ADR Centres.
- Provide training in Hargeisa, Togdheer, Las’anod and Ceerigabo for the ADR centres
- Develop methods and modes for contact delivery, focusing on group activities for each training (role play, case study, brainstorming, task exercise, and group discussions).
- Provide technical advice to IDLO staff during the delivery period as well as attend meetings or relevant conferences related to the area of consultancy if requested.
Scope of financial Proposal and Schedule of Payments
- The consultant will be offered a lump sum fee inclusive of travel costs, accommodation and subsistence allowance during work assignments (where applicable)
- The payments will be made in installments based upon outputs/deliverables specified in the TOR (under the payment schedule) and upon certification of satisfactory work as per the work plan endorsed by Damal.
- 20% on signing the contract and submission of a blueprint including methodology for developing the manual and curriculum.
- 40% on completion and submission of deliverables 1, to 3.
- 40% on submission of deliverables 3 to 6 and confirmation from the supervisor
The curriculum development consultant is expected to perform all the following deliverables
- Three pages Inception reports outlining the proposed methodology and agreed work plan submitted within 5 days from the date of signing the Contract.
2. Conducting an assessment of the most important learning needs of the selected ADR center staff
3. Developing the manual and curriculum for ADR Centers.
4. Training deliverable
- Assessing training needs and training materials for local partners. The consultant will provide a detailed training plan (including objectives, methodology to be adopted, training modules, and schedule), to be sent in Microsoft Word format via electronic submission to the PM within five days after the signature of the agreement. The training plan should be a minimum of 5 pages.
- Weekly reports providing updates of the development of manual and curriculum to be submitted to the PM every Monday morning. Reports will be a minimum of 2 pages and are to be submitted electronically in Microsoft Word format. A sample template will be provided.
- E of assignment report on assignment including an analysis of consultancy achievements, pre/post evaluation results, challenges, lessons learned, and recommendations for the future. The report should be at least 10 pages in length and will be submitted electronically within 15 days of completion of activities to the PM in Microsoft Word format.
To deliver these above-mentioned objectives and the associated scope of work, IDLO is searching for a candidate with the following skills and experience:
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Justice and Legal Issues. IDLO and its partners operate in complex environments and deliver a diverse portfolio of projects. To deliver long-term outcomes (scale-up, replication, sustainability, etc.) and help the program develop a reputation for excellence (responsive, pioneering, professional, etc.) the successful candidate will need to demonstrate a deep conceptual understanding of Justice and Legal Issues.
- Extensive experience in developing manual and curriculum The Damal program is setting up a number of ADR centers and Capacity development for local IPs. The successful candidate is expected to develop manual and curriculum, training tools, forms, etc. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate a proven track record of delivery, which will allow them to build on this work and fully develop, implement and manage effective ADR-related capacity support.
- Excellent knowledge and experience of training, one on one monitoring, and coaching others in Justice and Legal Issues, systems, and activities. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate their potential to provide targeted support to Damal local IPs as well as specific partners staff members to build in-house ADR capacity and improve the coherence of the ADR center’s activities.
Ideal Candidate profile
Education and work experience
- Proven experience in drafting training materials, concept notes, reports, and manuals.
- Ten years of work experience in the legal field, access to justice, informal justice, ADR is an asset
- Advanced Master’s degree and equivalent education for legal, international human rights, or international politics.
- Fluent oral and writing in English
Specific Technical Skills and competencies:
- Excellent knowledge of the justice system and ability to interact with government officials, justice stakeholders, elders, scholars, and sharia leaders.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting training.
- Ability to work under the pressure with tight deadlines and flexibility.
- Highly organized with the ability to work under pressure.
|Assessment criteria||Weighting (%)|
|1. Knowledge and understanding of ADR||25|
|2. Experience in developing manual and curriculum||40|
|3. Knowledge and experience of building a team and individual capacity and knowledge sharing on justice and legal issues and ADR system in particular||20|
|4. Knowledge and experience of building a team and individual capacity and knowledge sharing on justice and legal issues and ADR system in particular||15|
Terms and Conditions
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs