Disaster Risk Reduction Capacity Building Consultant for Somalia
|Posting Title:||Disaster Risk Reduction Capacity Building Consultant for Somalia|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction|
|Posting Period:||28 May 2021 – 07 June 2021|
|Job Opening Number:||21-United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction-156437-Consultant|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of Service
The consultant will conduct the following tasks:
1. Develop Disaster Risk Reduction capacity building training package to raise awareness and mainstream DRR across different national government institutions in Somalia;
2. Develop Disaster Risk Reduction awareness raising material for local communities in Somalia focusing on droughts and floods.
3. Conduct training activities and workshops to national and local governments on disaster risk reduction.
4. Support the collection, documentation and dissemination of Disaster Risk Reduction best practices and success stories at the national and local levels in both English and Arabic;
5. Contribute to the preparation, review and submission of narrative reports, annual reports and any other required technical reports;
6. Support office capacity building events and webinars through the development of relevant session materials and presentations;
7. Support the liaison with different partners and voluntary stakeholder groups on joint DRR capacity building activities;
8. Develop the DRR capacity building in Somalia project final narrative report.
Work Location: Home Based
Expected duration: Six Months
Duties and Responsibilities
Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disasters and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in both developed and less developed countries. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction (SRSG), United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction has over 100 staff located in its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and in regional offices. Specifically, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyzes action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk working with U.N. Member States and a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians and the science and technology community.
This position is located in the Regional Office for Arab States of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR ROAS). The consultant will work directly under the supervision of the Deputy Chief of Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within limits of delegated authority, the consultant will support the development of disaster risk reduction capacity building material under the “DRR Capacity Building” project in Somalia.
• Highly developed analytical and technical writing skills is desirable.
• Excellent communication skills are desirable
• Knowledge of MS Office, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Reader.
• Advanced University Degree in disaster risk reduction, development, urban development, social sciences or any other related field is required.
• A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• At least 5 years of experience in programme/ project support is required.
• Demonstrated experience in working in the field of disaster risk reduction, climate change, and/or sustainable development is required.
• Experience in programme support with the United Nations system is desirable.
• Experience in organizing events and working with civil society, private sector and governments is desirable.
• Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) is required.
This is a home-based consultancy but might require travel when COVID-19 measurements are lifted
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs