Emergency Health Specialist – Hargeisa, Somaliland
Emergency Health Specialist
Under the direct supervision of the Team lead, WHO Health Emergencies Programme (WHE), the Officer in Charge, WHO Baidoa Office, and overall guidance of WHO Country Representative, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Undertake context specific planning for humanitarian access to security-compromised areas in order to ensure health care access to vulnerable populations, internally displaced populations (IDPs) and people with disabilities.
- Plan and operationalize sustainable delivery of health services in newly liberated areas which remained inaccessible to humanitarian partners and agencies
- Map and conduct stakeholder analysis for providing better humanitarian health and nutrition services in security compromised and inaccessible areas
- Develop, in close collaboration with WHE Team, contingency plans for health emergencies, epidemic control and assist in developing/updating hazard specific plans (including for COVID-19) for inaccessible areas.
- Contribute effectively to epidemic and vulnerability risk assessments for southwest state
- Participate in humanitarian negotiation for ensuring access to health workers for immunization, providing essential health and nutrition care for the vulnerable population living in inaccessible areas
- Collect and analyze data and information required for understanding humanitarian health and nutrition situation for the vulnerable populations and people living with disability in areas having limited access to UN and other humanitarian agencies
- Assist the WHE Team Lead to develop project proposals, compile donor reports (narrative), and support impact assessments (as applicable).
- Provide technical support for the development of training material and implementation of training activities aimed at improving readiness and rapid response to health emergencies.
- Help in building collaboration and positive relationships with relevant operational partners (UN, NGOs etc.) and the Health Cluster in support of humanitarian health response operations
- Perform other tasks and activities as requested by WHO Country Representative
Advanced university (Master’s level or equivalent) degree in public health/ epidemiology/ Health Science/ Health Management, as well as training in emergency response or disaster management is desirable.
Essential: At least 2-3 years’ of relevant experience in planning, implementation, and/or monitoring/evaluation of health emergency programmes in humanitarian settings / projects and data analysis, with special focus on protection of vulnerable populations and disability.
Desirable: Relevant work experience in UN agencies; experience working in relevant non-governmental or humanitarian organizations. Relevant experience in the implementation of health humanitarian projects.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Somali(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
This assignment is funded by the Government of Finland, only Finnish nationals are eligible to apply. Moreover, candidates must have knowledge of Finnish or Swedish. Please apply via the link below. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’. Application deadline: 5 July 2021. Selection process: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection will be done by the UN Host Entity at the level of the country of assignment. Pre-departure training organized by the Government of Finland: The selected candidate will be invited to attend a training on Finland’s development policy and cooperation prior to deployment from 1 to 3 September 2021.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs