USAID Project Funded
Engineer – Mogadishu, Somalia
SCOPE OF WORK
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Long-term
LOCATION: Mogadishu, Somalia
SUPERVISOR: Senior Engineer
We are a project funded by USAID and implementing projects in Somalia.
The Engineer will provide technical engineering support to the Somalia Project. The position requires frequent travel to project sites and a high level of resourcefulness, independence, and problem-solving while operating within USAID and organization’s regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create the feasibility, budget, scope of work, and deliverables for projected construction projects.
- Coordinates with all the different partners on the ground in the identification and implementation of projects.
- Prepares designs as needed, including technical specifications and accurate BoQ for RFPs and RFQs for small scale community infrastructure projects when needed.
- Participates in bid analysis on RFPs and RFQs, especially with respect to technical quality and appropriate technical approaches.
- Maintains familiarity with the construction drawings, scope of work and schedule of projects to ensure subcontractor complies with the planned work.
- Works with projects subcontractors on site identification, handover of the site from grantees and or government and on-site layout of construction projects.
- Monitors the appropriate use of materials on projects and compliance with design documents and technical specifications.
- Monitors project progress to provide payment recommendations from the field.
- Maintains a monitoring logbook and writes weekly technical reports on project progress and constraints (template will be provided) and any other status reporting that may be requested by the Senior Engineer or Senior Management.
- Undertakes technical assessments for small scale community infrastructure projects, including government buildings schools, bridges, water points, health centers, community centers, etc.
- Supervises site inspector/engineers and provide daily instruction at all times.
- Supports the implementation of construction-related youth engagement activities through technical expertise and training.
- Supports the implementation of construction-related youth engagement activities with financial and administrative assistance when required.
- Contributes to grant design and preparation of idea templates and grant proposals.
- Utilizes AutoCAD for the design of construction grants.
- Provide technical writing in English and provide clear and concise English communication over email or phone.
- Works closely with local communities to ensure wide participation on the implementation of projects.
- Develops and monitor scheduling for program implementation, to ensure the completion of construction activities are on target and on time.
Education and certifications:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management.
Key Position Competencies and Experience:
- Six (6) years of relevant professional construction, project scheduling, material procurement, and field supervision experience, in a similar development setting.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership roles, strategic planning, and budget management.
- Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations (including environmental protocols).
- Experience managing construction projects/firms from the design phase to the close out/retention period.
- Experience with in-kind activities or small grants under contract activities and has prior work experience in security challenged environments.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Excel and other computer applications
- Strong reporting, writing, analytical, organizational & interpersonal skills; Somali language skills preferred.
- Significant experience preparing Bills of Quantity (BOQs), RFPs, SOWs, design documents and overseeing the selection process for construction projects
Organizations Core Competencies:
- Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust, and commitment
- Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally Demonstrates effective use of skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts
- Adaptability: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment
- Customer/Client Focused: Anticipates, monitors, and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner
- Diversity & Inclusion: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly
- Professionalism: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity, and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal
How to apply
Candidates meeting the above requirements are highly encouraged to send their Cover Letters and CVs with three references to email@example.com by 2nd December 2023. The subject of the email should read ‘’ Engineer Mogadishu Position’’.
NOTE: Attractive compensation will be offered to the successful candidate
Disclaimer: At no stage of the recruitment process will a candidate be asked for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview and assessment.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org