Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Field Associate is normally supervised by the (Senior) Field Officer or Head of Office and performs a variety of functions related to Field activities within the office. The supervisor defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The Field Associate may supervise some General Service support staff.
The incumbent keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs; to ensure provision of services and resolution of problems and with the external contacts generally with officials of national and international institutions, leaders of the refugee community, local population and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Monitor the situation in the AoR, collect data and other information relevant to UNHCR and report to the supervisor accordingly.
– Monitor the implementation of UNHCR programme including the delivery of all assistance items and monitoring of infrastructure.
– Undertake regular visits to various sites in order to assess needs of persons of concern, with particular attention to vulnerable groups.
– Keep regular contacts with local authorities and implementing partners as requested by supervisor.
– Act as interpreter when required.
– Contribute to the preparation of status and progress reports by providing info, preparing tables, etc.
– Assist in administrative tasks as required such as preparation of reports and meeting authorized personnel and assisting them during field missions.
– Inform and act on the reports received on persons of concern within the refugee community or from the local authorities.
– In coordination with implementing partners, assist in the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
– Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
– Represent UNHCR in physical monitoring of projects.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Business Administration Law Political Science
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
UNHCR field experience.
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners,
PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.