Save the Children
Field Manager – Galkacayo, Somalia
SAVE THE CHILDREN
Field Manager – Open to Somali Nationals Only
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Save the Children works in most regions in Somalia/land with a current staff of approximately 700 team members, prescene of more than the 17 regions in Somalia and expenditure of more USD 120 million each year. Galkacyo where the successful candidate will specifically lead has strong programme operations that run 5 projects at the moment with 25 staff and 7 million portfolio per year.
The Field Manager is one of the important and critical roles for Save the Children in programme implementation and the role holder assumes the responsibility for the overall management of the field office. This includes overseeing programme implementation, support functions such as finance, administration, HR, Supply chain, security, and representation of Save the Children International in the area of operation.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Area Representative for Puntland
Staff directly reporting to this post: About 7 staff members including project managers/coordinators, support officers (finance, human resource, supply chain) and programme officers.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum 5years practical experience managing a large programme in a complex emergency as well development context, with a particular focus on [education, child protection, child right governance, health, nutrition, WASH and livelihoods], in large international non-governmental organisation or other international relief/development body;
University degree in a relevant academic discipline;
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Representation and Advocacy
- Represent Save the Children in the field of operations, network with the Government, INGOs/NGOs, UN agencies and partners. Work closely with the Area Representative and ASMT in Puntland on issues of advocacy and ensure a constant flow of information and updating on the situation in Galkacyo.
- Identify, establish and maintain close working relationship with key stakeholders with a view of promoting learning and sharing of experiences/information; creating synergy in program planning and implementation; ensuring the principles of ‘do no harm’ and creating a bigger voice on issues of common concern.
- Ensure that key stakeholders including partners have clear understanding of Save the Children’s vision, mission, goals and guiding policies and strategies
- Ensure the strict adherence of team to the basic humanitarian principles at all times: neutrality, impartiality and independence.
- Represent SCI at the inter-agency coordination meetings and other relevant forums in Galkacyo
- Monitor the humanitarian context in and liaise on the same with the main INGOs, NGOs and UN agencies.
Quality program Implementation, Management and Reporting
- Overall responsible and accountable for SCI’s programmes in Galkacyo office from planning, implementation and management in accordance with SCI’s strategies and policies, through working with technical advisers, AR and programme implementation team on the quality improvement where appropriate.
- In coordination with the awards team, ensure that all new projects, immediately after approval, have their kick off meetings organized with the participation of all relevant staff members from the field, area and country office level and when necessary, from the contracting member.
- Lead, manage and motivate the project team, ensuring that they have clear performance goals/objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance – holding staff accountable for performance delivery, taking appropriate action where necessary.
- Ensure that all projects, from the first two weeks following their approval, have detail implementation plans, phased budgets, revised procurement plans, MEAL plan, customized quality benchmarks and HR plans and that all applicable online portals are updated.
- Ensure that all project staff for new grants are recruited and are onboard within one month following project approval.
- Ensure that all major project procurement requests are raised and shared with the logistics within the first week following project approval to prevent delays in serving target beneficiaries – Procurement of project supplies and equipment should be completed within the first quarter of the project period.
- Coordinate with the awards and finance teams to have project Fund Summaries are in place and project DEAs are created within the first 2 weeks after any project is approved.
- Ensure project implementation is on time, on target and on budget, with the necessary quality, and in line with donor commitments, using effective MEAL systems to reach desired outcomes.
- Ensure budget utilization and physical target achievements are reviewed at least once a month as per work plan; as project team review monthly BvA (financial performance against project).
- Ensure that the monthly cash forecasts are aligned with the phased budgets and all projects fully spend their monthly forecasts as per approved phased budget (100% spending Vs the monthly cash forecast).
- In the unlikely event of underspending in any given grant, ensure a catchup plan that is sufficient to guarantee full delivery of the activities and forecasted amount is put in place.
- Ensuring strong control measures are in place all the time to prevent fraud cases as well as breach of the other codes of conduct within the project.
- In close coordination with the REALM department, ensure that adequate field level monitoring is carried out in line with the M&E plans and findings are documented, filed and acted upon
Overseeing and Managing Field Office Support functions
- Lead, supervise and manage all support function staff in the field office including HR, finance and supply chain.
- Ensure standardized systems, policies and procedures are in place, well understood by all staff and in line with the country programme system and are implemented in an appropriate manner.
- Closely work with the different support functions including Supply chain, Finance, HR/Admin and Security.
- Develop and apply measures of ensuring effective implementation of programs and support the implementation of the Country Annual Plan and support the development of Area Plans and Thematic Programme Plans.
- Help the supply chain including the procurement and asset management in collaboration with the Area supply chain manager.
- Take overall responsibility for the day-to-day running of the finance, Administration, HR and Supply chain functions in Galkacyo office.
- Manage contracts for premises, and for supply of goods and services, and ensure that payments are made on due dates.
- Ensure that all travel arrangements are made for staff and visitors coming to Galkacyo Field office.
- Identify appropriate meeting, workshops and accommodation venues for staff, visitors and ensure the office gets value for money.
- Take responsibility for implementing the ICT Policy and ensure IT communication facilities are operational at all times.
- Ensure that a comprehensive document management system is in place in the Galkacyo Office
- In close coordination with the HR and Admin department, ensure that all travel arrangements are made for staff and visitors coming to Galkacyo Field office.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, Health & safety, fraud, whistle blowing, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
- Account for SCI’s assets and interests and safeguard from loss arising from fraud, waste, weak administration, and poor value for money.
- Ensure all the staff in the filed office know and comply the existing policies including HR, Finance and Supply chain.
- Ensure control systems in finance, supply chain and HR are working effectively and serving for the required purpose.
Partnership management and Development
Working closely with the Area representative to:
- Identify appropriate partners in the field through whom Save the Children can meet the needs of children at scale.
- Ensure effective process of developing a Partnership Strategy aimed at not only defining/clarifying SCI’s relationship with partners but also contribute to our effort of developing strong partners that could speak out for and address the plight of children in a sustainable manner- building civil society.
- Ensure that all partnerships are fully compliant with the required steps in partnership management.
- These include; the identification of partners and assessment of their capacity, strong and realistic capacity building work plans, anti-terrorist checks on staff and board members, signing of agreements in line with standard templates and providing ongoing monitoring and support
- Ensure that SCI’s relationship with partners is grounded on principles of transparency, trust, joint learning and development.
- Oversee that local implementing partners are discharging their responsibilities, live up to stipulations stated in the partnership agreement and take appropriate action
- Ensure that SC partnership approaches and practices comply with SCI’s Chid Safeguarding Policy and where possible promotes effective child participation of children.
Safety and Security management
- Keep the Area Representative up to date on the change in the security situation in Galkacyo and Mudug at large and propose necessary actions to adapt operational systems accordingly
- Conduct regular security assessments and provide updates of Galkacyo as appropriate
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the local security situation while developing in-depth contextual analysis and reports.
- Collect and exchange information regarding the context of Galkacyo in network with all relevant bodies (UN, NSP, I/NNGO, authorities, etc.)
- Contribute to the development and adaptation of SCI’s security preparedness and contingency planning (Security Plan / SOPs) to changing situations and advise the AR and Head of security ands safety on necessary action to adapt operational activities accordingly
- Ensure routine security report for Galkacyo are shared with the security manager and desiminate information to the staff.
- Provide security briefings/update on all visitors before they engage other people/work, to ensure all visitors are aware on the context and the security dynamics
- Assist in conducting security assessment in new program area within Mudug region as required
General (office) management
- Ensure budget monitoring and management of allocated budgets for operations (non -programme budgets) in Galkacyo in accordance with SCI financial management system
- Ensure optimal use of all resources (both human and others) in Galkacyo according to SCI policy and procedures, including on staff safety, security, performance and motivation
- In close collaboration with the Area Representative coordinate all SCI non program activities with local authorities, United Nations agencies and other local and international organisation in Galkacyo
Note: This position is Only open for female candidates.
application closing date will be on 30th November 2023
We need to keep children safe, so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
How to apply
NB/This position is only open for female candidates.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit hcri.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.