Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Grants & Business Development Unit Manager – Mogadishu, Somalia
Closing Date: 24 Nov 2023
DRC has been operating in Somalia since 1998 using the protection of human rights framework. Somalia is experiencing a devastating humanitarian crisis, with nearly 80% of the population in need of some form of humanitarian assistance. DRC in Somalia is scaling up the operation in emergency response through an integrated approach to accessing hard-to-reach populations.
The overall purpose of the role
The Grants and Business Development Unit Manager (GBDM) is a senior management position supporting country leads to increase and broaden the institutional funding base. The GBDM is responsible for leadership, quality control and management of the Grants and Business Development department and works closely with Grants, Partnerships, Programs and Finance teams in country, as well as other members of the SMT.
- Provide oversight in regular updating of the Grants Management System in DRC’s Enterprise Resource Planning platform – Dynamics with reports, proposals, contracts and related milestones.
- Grants focal point for specific country level donors
- Track grants processes and milestones for all awards through the grants cycle ensuring relevant information and documentation are disseminated to relevant staff in a timely manner.
- Facilitate project kick-off meetings ensuring relevant staff and partners are aware of their programmatic, financial and compliance obligations/requirements.
- Review current grant progress against original plans and log frames, identify areas of concern and ensure remedial actions are taken.
- In consultation with the finance department, assist in consolidating and/or quality control of reports, in relation donor requirements, original project proposal, and consistency in both narrative and financial reports.
- Facilitate the Country Trimester review meetings in consultation with the Area Managers and Technical Managers.
- Support the tracking of donor financial disbursement against signed contracts and prepare request for financial disbursements from donors as contained in the project agreements.
- Support best practices on grant closure procedures and monitor compliance to grant closure steps/milestones.
- Responsible for hard and soft copy filing of original signed project and administrative organizational documents.
- In coordination with the Somalia/Land Finance department, manage effective tracking of project income from the relevant donors, inclusive of promoting use of Grants BI cube.
- In coordination with the Audit and Compliance Coordinator and other relevant staff, design, maintain and inform internal procedures, systems and tools to facilitate partner compliance with contractual obligations to donors.
- Carry out internal financial reviews to ensure that donor guidelines are implemented and followed, including financial, procurement and administrative aspects.
- Carry out contract management training of staff through inception workshops, coaching and mentoring in setting up systems to monitor key accountabilities e.g. co-financing, exchange rates, interest and budget rules in line with contractual requirements.
- Conduct and document periodic implementing partner reviews.
- Support program teams in the interpretation and operationalization of donor rules and regulations.
- With input from the Area Managers, Technical Managers, Communications Officer, IM and MEAL Coordinators, help produce high quality program progress reports as per donor and DRC requirements.
- Provide high quality review and assembly of program documentation including drafting editing and formatting.
- Provide through progress reporting, a continuous analysis of the achievements, facilitate project reviews, evaluation and audits.
- Develop donors reporting timelines and requirements template; ensure it is updated at all times.
- Timely dissemination of reporting tools and requirements and follow up to ensure internal and external reporting deadlines are respected.
Proposal development and donor engagement support
- Consolidate proposal write ups and draft budgets from field teams in a timely manner for select donors as agreed with HoP and CD.
- Support program development through review of specific project proposals, concept notes and assessment reports.
- Collate and disseminate donor-specific requirements and guidelines for tenders and proposal processes.
- Provide support in relation building with specific priority donors including representing DRC to the donors as requested by management.
- Serve as focal point for relaying updates from field to specific donors and ensure instructions on programming changes from donor are communicated to field.
- Provide timely support in processing of emergency requests under project contingency funds and crisis modifiers by assessing competing emergency needs, prioritizing interventions for emergency funding and preparing requisite documentation in coordination with the Technical Managers and Head of Programmes.
- Provide inputs during development of Consortia including drafting of pre-teaming agreements and donor-specific grants requirements.
- Ensure appropriate staffing within the Grants and Business Development Unit.
- Incorporate staff development strategies and performance management systems into team building process. Establish a result-based system and follow up.
- Supervise the Partnerships Coordinator, Grants Specialists, Grants Officer, Capacity Building Specialist & Communications Officer
- Manage and mentor Innovation Interns in grants management processes.
- Ensure staff understand and are able to perform their roles, have clear work plans, performance objectives are in place and their capacity is strengthened.
- Provide capacity-building support to in-country teams in areas under Business Development and partnerships such as in proposal writing, and report writing.
- Leads the design and implementation of country and area resource mobilization strategies intended to strengthen funding and partnerships to deliver the Somalia Partnership Development (SPD) 2024
- Monitors the funding pipeline and leads on new business development and forecasting at country and area levels.
- Actively identifies, qualifies and tracks funding and partnership opportunities in a systematic manner in pursuit of supporting DRC’s programming in Somalia.
- Actively tracks multi-country, multi-sector and multi-area funding opportunities and looks for new consortium partnerships with stakeholders at the country level for multi-country programming.
- Lead on mapping activities so that DRC in Somalia/Land has a deep understanding of the donor landscape, including donors, stakeholders, I/LNGOS and programmes that work DRC’s thematic areas.
Representation and Relationship Building
- In conjunction with the CD and Head of Program, represent DRC externally with donors, peer agencies, and strategic partner organizations through building relationships and networking within Somalia/Land.
- Support the SMT in policy-influencing (advocacy) activities at relevant local and regional levels, consistent with the DRC Program Strategy.
- Actively participate in the humanitarian, community safety and durable solutions forums with the objective to strengthen DRC position in the area.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with the NGO community and other humanitarian actors
- Actively works to progress DRC SONM´s localization agenda
- Outline and assemble talking points and develop agenda to present DRC’s perspectives in relevant forums with donors and support the CD with funding negotiations with donors.
- Work closely with the Regional Business and Partnerships Development Manager in advocating for good practice when it comes to building strong business environment in country programmes.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least five years of professional experience in humanitarian emergency contexts with BD responsibilities, preferable to have at least two years of experience at management level.
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management
- Knowledge and experience working with multiple sectors including protection, food security, WASH, shelter & NFIs, CCCM, mine action
- University degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, or International Development or other relevant experience. An Advanced degree is preferred.
- Proven ability to lead a high performing and diverse team, manage performance, foster a positive working environment and manage issues sensitively and diplomatically.
- Extensive knowledge of UN, US and European institutional donors and their compliance requirements with proven experience of developing successful funding proposals, contract management including consortia grants
- Technical expertise in Monitoring and Evaluation and Information Management
- A keen understanding of the complexities in the East Africa region
- Excellent writing skills
- Languages: English ; Somali is desirable
Contract: 12 Months with the possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment;
Employment band Management F
Availability: 15th January 2024
Duty station: This position is based in Mogadishu, with frequent travel to all locations in Somalia.
Reporting Line: Head of Programme
Direct Reports: Partnerships Coordinator, Grants Specialists, Grants Officer, Capacity Building Specialist, & Communications Officer Technical Coordinators and Business Development Unit
Application and CV
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 24th November 2023.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit job.drc.ngo.