Health and Nutrition Officer – Mogadishu, Somalia
YouthLink Somalia is a local humanitarian NGO operation in South and Central Somalia. YouthLink works to enable the poor and vulnerable communities to improve livelihoods and build their resilience through long term development including health and nutrition live saving programmes.
1. Position Information
Position Title: Health and Nutrition Officer
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Reporting Directly To: Health and Nutrition Coordinator
Managerial Responsibility: Overall supervision of H&N field staff
Duration: 12 months
Directly Reporting Staff: Nurses
2. Organisational Context and Scope
For increasing access to Health and Nutrition, YouthLink works in urban IDPs in Banadir region through the provision of Mobile health and Nutrition services that include treatment of SAM, essential maternal and child health services in Partnership with Concern Worldwide funded by World bank.
Reporting to the Health and Nutrition Coordinator, The Health and Nutrition Project Officer is responsible for providing oversight and support to the YouthLink supported Mobile Clinics in Banadir region. This Position will be based in YouthLink Mogadishu office, but with most of the time spending at mobile clinic sites to provide technical guidance and oversight to the day-to-day activities.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide technical oversight and support to all health and nutrition activities oversight across World bank supported Mobile Clinics
· Provide support and technical guidance to the Mobile Clinics teams in Partner organizations implementing the WB Project in conjunction with the IYCF and Community mobilization officer, train and coach CHWs and staff of Youth Link.
· Provide regular and routine on-the-job mentorship to health workers staff at the Mobile Clinics
· In collaboration with IYCF and Community Mobilization officer, develop or adapt training materials and job aids for IYCF according to the programme strategy.
· Provide oversight to Mobile Clinic staff to ensure compliance with MoH policies and protocols in the delivery of health and nutrition services
· Support in the planning and delivery of training to Concern staff for the World Bank project.
Monitoring and Reporting
· Follow up on the timely and accurate submission of monthly HMIS data from all Youth link supported mobile clinics.
· Provide technical support and advice to Mobile Clinic staff in HMIS and ONA monthly reporting.
· Work with IYCF and Community Mobilization officer in ensuring accurate reporting of IYCF and other behavior change counselling sessions at mobile clinic and Community level.
· Undertake regular visits to the Mobile Clinic sites and join the mobile service reporting back with findings/recommendations
· Undertake additional assessments, beneficiary interviews etc. as necessary, to keep up to date with community perceptions of the project, changing needs and opinions.
· Support and partake in surveys, assessments as requested by Youth link and its Partner or external stakeholders once approved.
· Represent Youth link in District and regional level coordination meetings related to health and nutrition as required.
· Closely work with District level health authorities
· Participate Joint supportive supervision with DHMTs to the Mobile Clinics
· Participate in internal Programme meetings as required
· Ensure and maintain information flow between the Health and Nutrition Programme coordinator.
· Any other duties as required during the implementation of the programme
· Keep the Health and Nutrition Programme Coordinator informed of all Programme activities and challenges that may arise in the centers/areas of operation.
Skills and Qualifications
· Educated to at least degree level in Medicine, Public Health, Nursing or Nutrition a related subject, preferably with Masters degree in health- related subject.
· Experience and Skills
· At least three years’ experience of health & nutrition-related humanitarian/development Programme implementation
· Experience in training and supervision of health workers
· Knowledge of the National polices on CMAM, IYCF
· Experience of working in complex, insecure environment
· High level of spoken and written English
· Experience in on the- job mentorship and training
· Computer Skills including Excel, Word, PowerPoint
· Experience of working with health systems at different levels
· Experience in different approaches to behavior change
· Good interpersonal and communication skills
· Ability and willingness to interact successfully and respectfully with people at all levels and from all backgrounds
· Ability to work under pressure and without constant supervision.
· Flexibility and ability to carry out additional duties and tasks as required and adapt to a changing operational environment
· Innovative and pro-active with a positive attitude
How to apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should apply by submitting their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) by email to email@example.com with the subject line and vacancy notice number “Application for Health and Nutrition Officer” The closing date for application is on Thursday 8th August 2022. Applications and CVs submitted after deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Due to the fact this position is urgent, applications will be short listed on a regular basis, and we may offer posts before the closing date
YouthLink Code of Conduct
YouthLink has an organisational Code of Conduct (YLCoC). This has been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of YouthLink staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with YouthLink’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with YouthLink will be expected to sign the Staff Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of YouthLink Code of Conduct and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of the policy.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org