Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Human Resources Specialist (SC9), Mogadishu, Somalia
Human Resources Specialist (SC9)
Job Posting: 17/Nov/2023
Closure Date: 01/Dec/2023, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : FRSOM – FAO Representation in Somalia
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Somalia-Mogadiscio
Duration : Up to 6 months, with possibility of extension
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government to develop policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the Implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the area of FAO’s global mandate and Strategic Objectives. More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, and ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and respond to recurrent emergencies. The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production, to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The position is under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia and the direct supervision of the International Human Resources Specialist.
The incumbent will provide support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work, oversee certain tasks performed by more junior team members and assume limited supervisory role.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Deliver HR operational activities or projects, provide effective management of personnel contracts, administering entitlements and conditions of services, following standard processes in alignment with FAO policies.
- Deliver onboarding activities which ensure new employees have a positive experience and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organization.
- Coordinate Office management on staffing needs, recruitment, and talent management, provide support on recruitment cases, and FAO HR policies and procedures.
- Manage and maintains HR systems, processes, and practices.
- Provide guidance to managers and employees, understanding their needs and ensuring alignment with policies and procedures and that tools are available to support them.
- Contribute to identifying required capability building, training opportunities for staff and working with managers to understand training solutions which will equip people with the skills and knowledge required to meet current and future challenges.
- Research and analyze existing and new human resource policies, communicate, and apply them clearly, identify and address service delivery issues, maintain operational statistics, and prepare related reports.
- Contributes to learning and development initiatives and develop training materials as applicable for staff.
- Support the daily work of the International Human Resources Specialist and provide guidance to the human resources team when absent.
- Train and provide guidance to other human resources support staff in the work unit.
- Perform other duties, as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in human resources, management, business administration, organizational development, industrial psychology, law, or a related field.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in human resources management and administration, including demonstrated experience in management and in staff servicing.
- Working knowledge (level C) of English and Somali.
- National of Somalia.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus d53gB4p Dgn9WY
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in human resources, management, administration, and staff servicing.
- Excellent spoken and written English skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Office 365 applications.
- Supervisory experience is desirable.
- Familiarity with UN Human Resources rules, regulations and administrative processes is desirable.
- Familiarity with CTG is desirable.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help or have queries, please create a one-time registration with FAO’s client support team for further assistance: https://fao.service-now.com/csp
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit jobs.fao.org.