International Consultant – Review and finalize Early Childhood Education Policy and Curriculum, Mogadishu, Home based
International consultant – Review and finalize Early Childhood Education policy and curriculum – Mogadishu, Somalia [Home based] – 70 days
Job no: 540699
Position type: Consultancy
Location: Somalia Division/Equivalent: Nairobi Regn’l(ESARO)
Department/Office: Mogadiscio, Somalia
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, education
How can you make a difference?
Purpose of assignment:
Currently, Early Childhood Development (ECD) is a global agenda to ensure children grow to their full developmental potential. And Early Childhood Education (ECE) is a critical sub sector of it. The Government of Somalia recognizes that ECE interventions are significant to the social and economic development of the country as these interventions provide children with a fairer and better start in life. Although in Somalia ECE remains an under-resourced sub-sector, majority of children in age group 3-6 years appear to be enrolled in Quranic schools, which fall under the authority of the Ministry of Religion and are typically funded and managed by parents or community-level organizations. In Somalia, no clear national policy framework or quality standards are in place for formal ECE; there are no qualification or training systems in place for ECE teachers; there is no standardized formal ECE curriculum framework and no government certified ECE learning materials for small children. Presently, the government of Somalia, particularly Ministry of Education needs to prioritize the development of an ECE policy framework and curriculum that covers formal ECE and Integrated Quranic Schools. The policy framework will need to address issues related to children’s holistic development, financing system of the ECE sub-sector, curriculum and quality standards for teachers (as well as teacher/caregiver training) and learning materials to ensure full alignment to the state building and peacebuilding goals of the country.
- Desk review with clear plan of action
- Review of the existing policy and other document and share a draft policy framework
- Review of the existing curriculum and share a revised curriculum
- Sharing the policy and curriculum with MoE and ECE task force for comments and incorporating comments and submit a final version
- Preparing an implementation plan in consultation with MoE
- Upon receiving feedback, review and submit to UNICEF and MoE (FGS & Puntland) the final version of all the documents
- Presentation of policy and guidelines for wider dissemination
- Inception report
- Draft policy framework
- Draft curriculum
- Final draft policy ready for endorsement
- Implementation plan with budget
- Final policy, curriculum, and implementation plan
- Virtual session where key features of the policy and curriculum shared
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in Education or Social Science
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience relevant to the TOR requirements
- Prior experience on policy development
- Proven expertise in Early Childhood Development policy, curriculum, programs and training
- Familiarity with the context of early childhood at international level particularly , of the countries in East Africa
- Strong research and excellent writing skills in English
- Strong analytical and oral and written communication skills, review experience and familiarity within Somalia and/or the region
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Knowing Somali language will be an added advantage
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness
- Works Collaboratively with others
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships
- Innovates and Embraces Change
- Thinks and Acts Strategically
- Drive to achieve impactful results
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Advertised: May 25 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
Application close: Jun 07 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs