Just Economy and Economic Development Lead, Hargeisa
Just Economy and Economic Development Lead
– Internal and External Advert
Deadline for applications: 30th November 2023
Start date: As soon as possible.
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
Oxfam’s work in Somalia and Somaliland covers both humanitarian and development spheres, with most programming delivered in Hargeisa and eastern Somaliland, both directly and with partners. The humanitarian component focuses on delivery of water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), food security (particularly cash grants) and protection, in response to persistent, intense drought that has decimated livelihoods – primarily pastoralism, and caused mass displacement. The development component focuses on women and youth empowerment, economic inclusion, influence in decision-making and access to justice, primarily through three multi-year programmes.
All our work is led by Six core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
The Just Economy and Economic development Lead is responsible for the strategic development and technical support and supervision of Oxfam in Somalia’s Just Economy and Economic development programming through technical guidance, support, oversight, strategy development, resource mobilization, fundraising, capacity development, and representation. The role will support the successful transition of Oxfam programming from humanitarian aid to recovery and development initiatives. The job holder will collaborate with other technical leads, such as those in the Protection,
Influencing, Livelihoods, Resilience and Gender Justice and Inclusive Governance sectors, to design and execute integrated programming and guarantee the quality of the interventions.
The Just Economy and Economic development Lead will be responsible for ensuring that Oxfam’s Just Economy and Economic development projects are successful in meeting their objectives and making a lasting impact on those affected by natural disasters and conflict, displacement, and poverty in Somalia and Somaliland.
Experience, Knowledge & Competencies
- Education (equivalent of master’s degree or higher) preferably in economics, social sciences, international law, or related humanities field with a focus on inequality.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in similar role in non-profit sector.
- Highly developed strategic planning skills with the ability to contribute to the programme’s overall strategies.
- Experience and skills in project management and research, working effectively with policy makers, government, donors, and civil society.
- Ability to work independently and with multi-cultural and virtual teams and to liaise with a wide range of people, both internally and externally and at many levels, with credibility, tact, and diplomacy.
- Transformative leadership that creates the conditions for each person to develop and get the best out of themselves.
- Ability to design project and programme documents – including strong knowledge of theories of change (logic models, logical frameworks), contextual analyses (e.g., power, gender, and conflict), budgets, MEAL plans.
- Excellent understanding of different aspects of quality programming (for example partnership, participation, accountability, innovation, gender and monitoring, evaluation, and learning) and how these can be incorporated into field interventions.
- Extensive experience in a capacity development role at the senior level and ability to facilitate learning and knowledge management. Excellent understanding of just economy and economic development issues in development and humanitarian programming, including key challenges and approaches to mainstreaming cross cutting issues into programme design and management.
- Demonstrated capacity for successful fundraising and growing programmes in organizations similar to Oxfam.
- Knowledge of legal and institutional frameworks of country related to Just Economy and Economic Development.
- Knowledge of donor environment, understanding of funding issues in relation to INGOs work in emergencies and development.
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills, and ability to translate complex issues into clear workable actions and plans.
- Ability to travel regularly at short notice.
- Advance level of language skill in English. Somali language skill is an added advantage.
- Strategic Thinking and Judgement
- Relationship Building
- Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity
- Vision Setting
How to apply
Please follow the links below to access the detailed Job Description and submit your application by
30th November 2023, however applications will be reviewed on rolling basis and assessments might be carried out before the Deadline.
Follow the links below.
External candidates: Apply Here
Internal Candidates: Apply Here
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit jobs.oxfamnovib.nl.