Legal Action Worldwide (LAW)
Legal Officer – Mogadishu, Somalia
Closing date: 22 Nov 2023
Organization: Legal Action Worldwide (LAW)
The Legal Officer will support the team providing legal information, assistance and representation to beneficiaries, including activities relating to case recording and management, case following up, collating case data, and undertaking legal research as required.
The post holder will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outline below:
- Accompany community paralegals on visits to target beneficiaries in IDP camps to provide technical support during legal awareness sessions and support the team receiving complaints from victims and survivors.
- Assist the lawyer in providing legal aid to beneficiaries (legal assistance and representation), in particular cases involving SGBV and/or children.
- Prepare regular activity reports detailing the content of sessions, complaints received, progress of cases, recommendations etc, and attend regular meetings with Project Coordinator and Programme Manager to present the same.
- Participate in regular trainings and workshops related to project activities as requested.
- Monitor and prepare analyse of developments of legal trends and legal, human rights and justice related developments in Somalia.
- Monitor latest statistics, data and reports published by the relevant UN, INGO and government agencies on SGBV, GBV and Human Rights situations in the country.
- Recording cases and complaints received and inputting data in the digital platform (SharePoint), following up on cases throughout formal justice system.
- Supporting lawyer to ensure data and physical files are up to date and in accordance with LAW standards, including attendance sheets, consent forms, screening forms, and other documents required for the implementation of the activities and cases management.
- Communicating with courts, police stations and Attorney General office, developing and providing any documentations needed by survivors or offices.
- Undertake mapping and identify referral networks for medical, psychosocial, and health support, legal support and any other services available.
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of trainings for paralegals, lawyers, partners, and other stakeholders, assisting in material preparation, delivery, translations and any other support as required.
- Contribute to drafting project proposals and concept notes, collating project data, and drafting donor reports.
- Take notes and minutes during filed visits, meetings, and other events as assigned by the Project Coordinator/Programme Manager and assist with required follow ups.
- Organise and support in weekly meetings with the teams and partners, missions, events, field visits, taking notes, and following up on action points from meeting under direction of Project Coordinator and Programme Manager.
- Support programme team in developing interim and final donor reports.
Advocacy and Communications:
- Contribute to designing advocacy and awareness campaigns as well as social media posts related to LAW’s projects and activities in Somalia and to suggest new initiatives.
- Developing ‘success stories’ from successful cases for use in advocacy/communications initiatives
How to apply
If you are committed to supporting our amazing work and have the relevant legal experience, we would like to hear from you.
Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining how your previous experience and skills match this role (neither exceeding 3 pages of A4) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The heading of the application should read ‘Legal Officer- Somalia.’
Deadline for applications: This position is on rolling basis – LAW will be scheduling interviews as the applications come in; therefore, please apply before or no later than 22nd November 2023.
Start date: Immediate.
Only shortlisted candidates who meet the criteria will be invited to the selection process.
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately
To learn more about LAW please visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com