Livelihoods and Food Security Assistant – Jowhar
P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences: Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across Ten countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Roles and responsibilities
The livelihood and food security Assistant is responsible in a day-to-day field level activity implementation in Jowhar, Middle shabelle. The following is a brief description of the role.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents on Office 365.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function.
- Use initiative in day-to-day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work.
- Prepare and develop status/situational update as required by management.
- Promote and share ideas for LFS project improvement.
- Prepare payment requests (PRs) in Aggresso where applicable and liaise with logistics to support stock requisition of materials from stores to support project activities using the correct procedures.
- Liaise with your supervisors to support in preparation of contract documents, verification certificates for incentive workers, and to facilitate proper and prompt payment to the workers.
- Work with incentive workers to ensure that correct data captured are adhered to during PDM and other monitoring activities.
- Administer working advances, field-based resource person’s payments and participants’ activity payments in compliance with NRC policy.
- Help select beneficiaries eligible for livelihoods and food security programmes, based on guidelines and procedures given by the LFS Officer/PC.
- Maintain clear and up to date records of livelihood programme beneficiaries and activities (beneficiary numbers, locations, contact details, activity progress) – including by regularly visiting beneficiaries’ homes or businesses.
- Help collect baseline and PDM, End line monitoring data by conducting interviews with beneficiaries and key informants.
- Organize nutrition, food security and WASH awareness sessions for beneficiaries and host communities.
- Participate in conducting rapid assessments, and other data collection in order to inform and improve programming.
- Support and work with incentive workers, implementing partners, suppliers & beneficiaries and build their capacity.
- Communicate timely and adequately of any concerns that threats the smooth operation of day-to-day LFS activities.
- Timely reporting and support weekly or biweekly updates for the ongoing LFS activities
- Any other duties assigned by your supervisors.
Skills and Qualifications
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Diploma or B.SC in agriculture, Veterinary, Natural Resources management and environmental science, or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 2 years’ work experience in a humanitarian/recovery context in Somalia.
- Experience in EWEA/DRR and Resilience
- Good experience in Food security, Riverine livelihoods, Crop & Livestock Production.
- Good communication and Agriculture extension skills.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Good skills in emergency & recovery livelihoods and food security programming in south and central context.
- Cash based intervention for drought and conflict affected communities in south and central Somalia.
- Experience in Riverine livelihood zone and Agro-pastotralists
How to apply
What We Offer:
Contract period: Subject to the funding
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Jowhar , Middle ,shabeele
Candidates currently in Jowhar are highly encouraged to apply.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Incomplete, email and paper applications will not be considered.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.